“Good Stay at the Kupu Kupu”

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have stayed here twice in the past 6 months (April and July 2012). The room itself is very spacious, being on two floors where the bahroom is downstairs and bedroom is upstairs. It's a small boutique hotel not near the beach if that's what you are looking for.

The front of the hotel looks terrible and you will feel you were at the wrong place. The so-called beach club that you can enjoy is small and nothing to rave about that I didn't bother to go anymore. It's a quiet place as there is not much going on near the hotel. The L'occitane spa needs to be booked ahead of time as it's always full. But there are some nice and cheaper ones which the hotel can recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Margaret C
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Margaret C,

Thank you for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran, and for your repeated stays in our hotel.

Regarding the beach club, we are planning to do some work to improve it dramatically in the next few weeks. It is true that it is small, but it is a rare feature in Jimbaran as most hotels here do not have beach facilities, especially in our price range. You are also correct to mention that we are perfect for people who are not interested in being in the beachfront only since the Jimbaran Bay is located a few minutes away from the hotel by buggy.

We would love to have you back in Kupu Kupu. If you do so, please let us know in advance. As I mentioned in previous answers, we always give the best prices to guests who book directly through us. I am reachable by email: thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Thank you again for your review and best regards from Jimbaran,

There are newer reviews for Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane

Reviewed August 21, 2012

LOCATION: yes, only go there if you want a slightly more authentic experience of Bali, if you are after touristic entertainement, Kuta is best for you. But in Jimbaran, you will avoid the crowds of tourists and the selling harrassment, drunks, noise and else that comes with it. The beach offers a magnificient sunset and you can have dinner on the beach, whether on the hotle private spot or the numerous restaurant set up on the sand. But be aware, the beach IS dirty, particularly high tide when you slalom around left overs of the dinners, rubbish brought back, beer caps and so on.

THE HOTEL: it is true, it is on top of a shopping mall...so if you are after acres of greenery and a direct access to the beach, that is NOT the place for you. Other than that, it did not bother us at all. There is a separate entrance, the mall is tiny (8 shops maybe, all nice, the mall is veyr calm and clean). You do not realise once on top that there is a mall underneath (just ground floor).
The rooms: very nice. rooms are little house with a lounge downstairs and a bathroom with separate shower and toilets and the bath tub in the middle of the room (a bit odd but definitely nice long bath tub). stair case leads to the bed room, large, super bed, nice sheets, a lot of space. There is a second TV upstairs and access to a private baclone with your lounge chairs. Air con at both level.

THE STAFF: this is where I think it all goes a bit wrong..... and I have read the Manager's answers to all complaints and see he is trying but maybe, dear Manager, spend the time you will want to on answering my comment to train the front desk staff instead... So, we arrive at half past midnight with a tired toddler...led to the room, the key does nto work, they go and get a second one, then a master key...then my husband decides to take over, looks and in 5 seconds identified that there is a key INSIDE...oups...wrong room it seems. they switched the rooms and forgot about it...not sure how the guests inside felt about it. so, next room. then I rush upstairs to check there is an extra bed or cot for my daughter...nop.... the staff tells us confidently (despite the key episode) that this is because we did not request for one. it takes off, comes back and re affirm it did not. So I pull out the emails and booking papers where clearly the request is there. at this stage, i am loosing patience and joins the army of people who complains about staff management on trip advisor.... so, here comes the cot, eventually, which is broken..and only a fitted sheet no cover sheet, which we had to call for. 1h30 am, still not in bed... The day front desk staff seemed a bit more switched on and efficient but who messed up the room switch?

THE RESTAURANT: we only went there ofr breafast and the staff, on the opposite to the front desk, was brilliant. Really nice, really helpful (I have an allergy, they could to have tried to fit the menu to my allergy more), really quick. just perfect. dear Manager, do tell them they are wonderful!
There is a menu with a choice of 4 breakfasts (Indonesian, Japanese, American and continental). Honnestly, plenty on your plate and nice. no complaint.
NOISE: maybe a real downside for me, the noise at night. The hotel is borded by roads so of course there was a lot of noise of motorbikes until 1 am. The hotel itself was veyr quiet, we had no disturbance from staff or guests. I woudl recommend maybe to ask for a room with a even number (2 - 6- 8..), they are on the side of the hotel further from the road.

CAR: the hotel has its own car park in the back, easy access. great. It is open until midnight I think and closes until early morning. There is a guard at all time I think.

FOR PARENTS with young children: well.... we have a different perspective on everything, right? So while I would have loved the room as a couple, with a toddler, those stairs were hell! and the master bed just against the rail and the empty behind.....not great. But of course, you can just keep an eye and block access. The cot used to be a good one I think, but was broken: the side that you can lower to let baby in and out would not fold back so my toddler could climb up and down and more worryingly (she sleeps in a toddler bed at home but she did fit in the cot) she could fall, so I had to block it between a wall and a heavy stool (it was on wheel and the wheels could not be blocked). So not a great option but could be worked out. We had to request a sheet the first two nights as the cot only had a fitted sheet. The pool has a clever area where there is only about 30 cm of water so kids can sit and play safely. The only thing is that the pool is above the ground so you need to monitor they do to get too close to the edge... Now, if you little one is not sensitive to noise and light, s/he will sleep well. Mine managed. Staff was veyr friendly with her.

Room Tip: Choose a room with even number.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank carolinesharp
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Mrs. and Mr. Sharp,

Thank you for your detailed account of your experience in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. Please allow me to reply to you shortly. The management's response feature of TripAdvisor is a great tool for hotelier to communicate with guests and I think it is worth the time spent.

I was happy to read that you were satisfied with many aspects of the hotel: Very nice rooms, nice long bath tub, super bed, nice sheets, a lot of space, brilliant staff in the restaurant, etc....

We provide a 24-hour reception but we have limited staff from 11pm to 7am. For this reason, when guests check-in or check-out during this time, it may take longer than usual. One of our staff did make an important mistake when you checked-in. We had switched your room earlier during the day and he did not see the update on the system. I apologize for it and for the inconvenience it caused to you and your family. The person in question is an excellent employee and I had a long discussion with him to ensure that it will not happen again.

I understand that you were tired and that you wanted to sleep as soon as possible, especially with a toddler. Regarding the baby cot though, I checked again your booking on Expedia. The line for special request only had an incomplete sentence saying "We have a three year old and w". I don't know why we did not receive the rest of the message, but this explains why the baby cot was not ready upon arrival.

Regarding the noise in the rooms, your advice about the room number is correct: The 2, 4, 6, 8, etc... are located further from the road and they are very quiet.

Let me thank you again for your comment and for your stay. I hope we will see you again soon in Jimbaran.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Kupu Kupu might not be a seaside resort, but is a terrific "home in Jimbaran" if you would like to enjoy luxury in room, high level of service and 24/7 staff support. We have spent one week in Kupu Kupu, second time in Bali, and we enjoyed the hotel to relax, the beach club to be at the seaside, the room service to have a variety of quality food and the butler service for all kinds of information and travel support - mostly reservations- for Bali entertainment.

The Spa is a different story. The departure lounge itself makes you wanna stay more...

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tolga E

Dear Tolga E,

Thanks a lot for your positive comment and for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we communicated your nice words to all our team!

We all hope to see you again for your next trip to Bali,

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed August 3, 2012

When you prepare your trip properly in advance you now that is is a rooftop hotel, we stay in the balagan suite from the 19th untill the 22nd of July 2012. We can say the hotel is just what we think we will have. Jimbaran is a small Balinese town. When you get dropped at the front of the hotel you will think " oh no, smaller than i thought" but when you enter the lobby and later the rooms area it is great. The staff is friendly but as usuall in Asia, they hardley can say no or i not understand. So sometimes you not get what you asked for or tell them. But that is also funny and when you know that you can live with it. The room is great, spacey but expensive as you compare it with what you get totally. One point from me is absolutly not make me feel totally satisfeid, we choice this hotel also because it has internet wifi in the rooms. But that was really terrible. When there is connection and you look inti your mails or browser the connection went down. I complane there about at the desk many times and they say to me that i better go in to the lounge then, that is not why i book a room with wifi. Not so nice. We planned already a next stay in the hotel from the 1st into the the 5th of August 2012, same suite. By check out i remind de deskworker that we come back and he must be sure that the manager now about the internet and that it must be fixed when we arrive again. He tell me he will do so i look forward to see if its work.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kees t
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Mr Kees T.,

Thank you for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. We were very happy to welcome you twice during your holiday.

I take note of your positive comments about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran: "friendly staff", "great and spacious room".

Regarding the WIFI connexion in your room, it is true that the connexion in your Balangan suite was slow and I apologize for it.

The morning after you complained on August 2nd, our IT manager installed a new access point with improved bandwidth for your room only and I believe the WIFI was working fine then, for the next 3 days of your stay.

I regret we did not react faster after your first stay with us. I had the chance to apologize to you personally, and hopefully this incident will not keep you from coming back to our hotel in the future. If you have more comments, please contact me by email: thibaud@kupubarong.com

Best regards from Jimbaran,

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Kupu-kupu Jimbaran have an exotic and unique room interior. We had a pleasant experience during our stay there. The staffs were very helpful and polite. The food was great, eventhough they don't offer you a buffet breakfast, but the taste was amazing. Not to forget the Spa at Bamboo Spa by L'occitane, wonderful (eventhough quite expensive).

They have (not so) private spot in the Jimbaran beach. You can enjoy the famous Jimbaran's sunset there, and then make sure you visit the Menega Cafe, famous for it's seafood. The only problem is that you need to walk 7-10 minutes to the beach because Kupu-kupu Jimbaran is located above Jimbaran Shopping Corner. Don't need to use the buggy (golf-car). We once tried to use the golf-car, and had a bad impression because the driver was driving quite fast (for a golf-car), while we seated at the back. So you can imagine how uncomfortable it was.

Overall, Kupu-kupu jimbaran should be one of the best option for those who plan to go for a honeymoon. Enjoy most of your time in the hotel, and in the pool side in front of your room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rezaryabima

Dear Rezaryabima,

Thank your for your comments about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran! I am glad to hear that our food was great, our staff helpful and polite, and our spa was wonderful.

I took note of your comment about the speed of the driver and I apologize for it. I just briefed our staff regarding safety precautions and I will make sure this does not happen again.

Wishing we may welcome you again in the near future,

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went here with my husband, arriving late at night. The first impression ofthe lobby is nothing special, but when we got to our room it was lovely. Huge space, nicely decorated, delicious toilettries, simply wonderful. Our rate included breakfast and the next day this was a highlight in our day. The pool is nice.

The hotel has no beach but it has a small beachclub, nothing special, quite small, but if you are a beach lover it serves the purpose ( though the beach itself is also not very nice). Surrounding area is not very nice, but cabs to downtown Kuta are uSD$8. Hotel staff is a bit pushy in offering services, of course at higher prices than what you find outside.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
KKB_Management, Front Office Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you for your review of Kupu - Kupu Jimbaran Suites & Spa, We take all guest feedback seriously in order to immediately address any issues and enhance our service and facilities and I personally follow up with the relevant departments.

I was glad to see that you enjoyed our hotel and I will certainly communicate with our staff your positive comments.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran Suites & Spa in the near future ,with our upgrading services and facilities.

Pande Suartaya
Front Office manager

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We arrived very late at night and was obviously very tired. Had to deal with an over-enthusiastic staff that insisted on showing us every single amenity in the room even after being told 3 times we were tired while we were in the room. We also had to have the air-cond in the room looked at 3 times during the stay as it was not cold enough. They offered to move us to another room but we didn't as the third time was our last night. Staff at the restaurant was very friendly and we had breakfast there every morning that was part of our hotel package. Only thing to do in the area is to walk down to the beach for some touristy seafood on the beach. Would only recommend it if you are planning to just hole in the hotel, chill by the pool and not do much else.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool steps right out onto the pool deck. Not much privacy here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cricket03
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear Cricket03,

Greetings from Jimbaran!

Thank you for your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran and for your feedback on TripAdvisor. Jimbaran is indeed a less touristic spot compared to Nusa Dua, Kuta or Seminyak. As you wrote, the beach is the main attraction, and it is located only a few minutes from our hotel by buggy. By taxi or by scooter, there are quite many places to visit though. Favorites of our guests include Nunggalan beach, Bingin, the Rock Bar in Ayana hotel, or simply to walk in the country side near Pecatu village. If you come again to Jimbaran, do not hesitate to contact me for more information (thibaud at kupubarong dot com).

I am sorry that our staff did not realize you were tired when you checked in. He should have been more short in his explanations, or postpone them to the next day. I reminded our butlers to be more careful. Please accept my apologies regarding the AC as well. We just finished a program to clean our installations and I believe everything is now working properly.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, we hope we will get the chance to welcome you again soon.