“Wonderful stay!”

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Jimbaran
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We spent 3 nights at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran and everything was wonderful. The staff was extremely accommodating and except for a few wi-fi issues, this hotel exceeded our expectations. It is an easy walk to the beach for great barbecued fish and some sun and fun. We had some other friends staying here and they said the L'Occitaine spa in the hotel was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank WWDWD
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear WWDWD,

Thank you very much for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran! We are all really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Since you posted your comment, we have improved our WIFI connection (and we will actually improve it again at the end of the year). I believe our conditions are much better now.

We hope to see you again soon in Jimbaran,

Best regards,

Thibaud

Reviewed November 2, 2011

My wife and me stayed at Kupu Kupu Barong a year ago and loved it so booked the double story suite in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran for something different this year. It is very different to other hotels in Bali as it is on top of a 3 story shopping complex (which contains the restaurant and spa open to the public) has great shopping and some very western comforts (such as a book shop and chocolate cafe) yet it keeps the same decor and style of KKB.

The five star quality of KKJ is the staff. I have stayed in many places in Bali and the people are always nice but the staff at KKJ go above and beyond at all times, from setting up a candle lit pettal bath for us to special dinner on the beach. The beach club is not attached to the hotel as people have mentioned but it is kind of nice to get out of your hotel space every now and then.

So if you are looking for lush gardens set on 20 hectares of forrest with views perhaps stay at KK Barong but if you want great service, food, staff and a few luxuries missing from other Bali hotels maybe give it a go.

Room Tip: I think it is definately worth upgrading to the double story suites for an extra 20$US per night.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chris p

Dear Chris P,

Thank you very much for your review about your stay in a Muaya Duplex Suite in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. Thank you also for posting some great photos!

I totally agree with you when you say that our most precious asset is our staff. We do have a great team of employees which are both professional and very friendly. They are our biggest contribution to our guests' well-being and happiness.

Regarding the rest of the comment, it is a very good description of our facilities.

We hope to have the chance to see you again in Jimbaran in the near future,

Kindest regards,

Thibaud

Reviewed October 17, 2011

First, the hotel pictures are not accurate. The hotel is not near the beach-- it is a short ride away and the hotel has a golf cart to drive you. The hotel is located at a busy intersection. At night, the sound of barking dogs is noticeable.

Secondly, be cautious about the advertised "afternoon tea." The hotel front desk staff informed us that complimentary afternoon tea was served in either Chocolate Cafe or the restaurant (side by side venues). That is not exactly correct. We had tea in the restaurant, however, upon leaving they asked us to sign the bill. The restaurant staff said complimentary afernoon tea was only served in Chocolate Cafe-- not the restaurant.

When we spoke with the front desk staff, they said no-- it could be in either location and she would take care of it-- but they did not.

A short time later, the front desk clerk came to our room and said the problem was we did not order the right kind of local tea. (Who knew?) Because we had a different type of tea, we have to pay for the tea service. How would we know? No one said such a thing and it was not written in any of the literature the hotel provided. In fact, when we arrived at the restaurant, we said we were there for afternoon tea. The served asked what kind of tea we wanted and named several types.

The hotel is above a small shopping center. The rooms are comfortable but the bedroom is upstairs while the bathroom is downstairs.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the street or the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mikeWashington_DC
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

Dear mikeWashington_DC,

Thank your for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your feedback is our most important tool for improvement and we value all comments in order to serve our clients better in the future.

You are right: Kupu-Kupu Jimbaran is not exactly on the beach. It is approximately 250 meters from it and we provide guests with a free, short ride (3 min) to our private Jimbaran Beach Club all-day long. It has never been our intention to mislead our customers into thinking that the hotel was on the beach, and from now on we will make sure in our communications that each guest is aware of it.

Concerning the afternoon tea, it is available in Chocolate Café and Topeng. As a result of a confusion with our staff, it is true that we issued a bill for the tea you ordered in Topeng. To be fair though, we removed the bill from your final payment. Since this incident, we have asked our staff to provide guests with more information regarding our "afternoon tea" offer.

I take note that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms. Half of them have bedroom upstairs and toilet downstairs, and in the other half, both the toilet and the bed are downstairs. The preferences for one type or the other usually vary depending on our guests. For that reason, we always try to offer them the choice, when available.

I would be glad to further discuss about your experience if you are willing to. I invite you to contact me directly at thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Again, thank your for your comment,

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Accomodation: My parents, my brother, his wife and kid, and my wife and I (3 families in total) stayed in the villa suite. Can't really find fault about the accomodation. It was super spacious, had a kitchen, huge dining and living area (with free and strong WIFI). 3 rooms + 2 bathrooms in the upper floors alone. The master bedroom was actually quite impressive. Everything was like new (probably is). Comfortable rooms and beds. With breakfast and tea included, can't hope for more for the price we paid. No construction noise or unfinished work etc. as highlighted by others, guess the work was completed already.

Service: Service staff was excellent, extremely friendly and eager to please, despite some of our special requests (eg. cooking utensils, local dining locations). Very pleased with their service.

Location: Near the airport (15 mins by car). Not in tourist area, so no crowds and no shopping belts nearby too. But this is not a problem as transport is easy to find. Can book a private 7-seater transport for an entire day in the region of 200K Rp and you can tour the island as u please! Also no spectacular beach views or breadth-taking scenaries but the hotel/resort itself is well landscaped. It is very near the Jimbaran beach where the sunset is spectacular. The famous Jimabaran seafood area is at the beach. The beach is within 8 min walking distance but the hotel provides complimentary on-call transport (2-way) to the beach. In addition, hotel guests gets complimentary access to the Jimabaran beach club (with free welcome drinks). Good place to relax on the beach chairs and enjoy the sun, the sea and the sand. More like in the country-side setting, which was what we were looking for (a rest and relax trip)
Tip: If using those private transport for a day, if u like the service of the driver, invite him to join u for your meal. U probably will get better service later or even the next day (I did).

Food: Breakfast menu is not spectacular but can't complain for the prices we paid for the rooms.

Pool: The pool is actually swimmable! As a swimmer, I find it irritating that many hotel pools are not designed for a good swimming 'workout'. I had a good swim in this pool though I have to say I had the privilege to have the pool all to myself. It could probably house 2 or 3 more serious swimmers at the same time but not more.

Others: One not so positive thing was that the water (from the taps in the hotel) tasted salty. So do not order Tea for breakfast. First time in my life I had salty tea. Coffee was Ok, probably coffee masked the saltiness. We bought a lot of bottled water (which is very cheap from the supermarkets) for drinking, washing etc. The hotel does provide drinking water daily too.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tan_Melvin
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The hotel was a disapointment, on a horrible street looks like its next to a tip, and when you walk into the lobby its very dark, which seems to be the theme of kupu kupu barong. The rooms ok, but dark again, also when we opened our front door the back door would open, and vice versa. Their was still work going on around the hotel which we could hear from our room, it was constant and very annoying.
We where also very disapointed with the view as we had come from the Kupu Kupu Barong Ubud and the view was beautiful, to a view of the carpark !!! Hotel would be fine for a business stay, but i wouldnt recommend for a holiday.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank appleseed123

Dear Appleseed123,

First, let me thank you for your comment because it helped us realize that we should provide our guests with more information concerning the differences between our two properties, Kupu-Kupu Barong in Ubud and Kupu-Kupu Rooftop & Spa in Jimbaran.

Both hotels share the same philosophy: A commitment to excellence in every details, personalized service and a special attention paid to the food and the interior design.

Yet, they both have their own identity and we have to make sure we target the right customers in each.

Kupu-Kupu Jimbaran is a perfect hotel for beach activities (3 min away with our golf cart), for shopping, for dining, or simply for lazy sun-tanning around our swimming pool. It is located in an area of Bali which is more busy and westernized compared to that of Ubud, with certainly more cars and noise (though much, much less than in Seminyak or Kuta).

I believe that both our hotels can be complementary during a visitor's holiday in Bali: The beach and the sun for one, the culture and nature for the other one. In case you wished to visit our Kupu-Kupu Jimbaran again, please send me an email and I will be happy to suggest to you a lot great things to do nearby.

There has been some improvements as well since you visited us. The carpark is now covered, and it is also possible for our guests to book a room with a view on the swimming pool. At last, we apologize for the works that took place while you were in the hotel. It is true that we were improving some of the hotel's area at the time, but it shall never have a negative impact on our clients. I personally instructed our maintenance team to keep in mind their noise level whenever repairs are to be made.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your feedback about Kupu-Kupu Jimbaran. If you want to contact me directly, please send me an email thibaud@kupubarong.com.

Email: Thibaud@kupubarong.com

Reviewed September 20, 2011

The hotel doesn't look like the pictures they show on the official website. The room was unfinished and the breakfast was terrible. The selections were limited and I had to see motorcycles running on the street when I had breakfast. Free wireless was only available in the lobby which was not convenient. But the worst part was after the house keeping came to make bed in the late afternoon, they forgot to lock the door. When I found out, I was shocked. First of all, there are 2 floors in the villa so I had to check if someone was hiding on the second floor. The next was I had to check if all my stuffs were still safe. I complained to the front desk staffs but they didn't apologize. They just told me they would tell the housekeeping. The only good part was the SPA. I went to lots of SPA before and this one was really good.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank Ingrid K
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dear Ingrid K,

I am deeply sorry that your experience in Kupu-Kupu Jimbaran was disappointing and I apologize on behalf of the entire hotel for the incident about the key AND about the attitude of the Front Office officer. This is not acceptable and the staff and manager responsible for this have been issued severe warnings.

Concerning the rest of your comment, there has been some changes since you visited us and I wish to inform you that the wifi is now available in every room.

I regret that you didn't enjoy the breakfast in the hotel because we have very high standards in our kitchen. We are proud to have a team of experienced Chefs, all of them with a strong background in 5-star hotels and luxury resorts. Please, could you send me a more detailed email explaining why your breakfast was terrible? I would be very happy to transfer it to our F&B department for immediate action.

Regarding the nuisance of the street, we installed a large glass window between the Chocolate Café and the road to minimize the impact of the traffic. I should point out that the breakfast is also available in our garden in Topeng Restaurant, which is more quiet.

At last, the pictures on the website are professional shots. I invite you to check the "travellers pictures" on TripAdvisor to see amateur shots of our venue.

I thank you for your review and I hope you can visit us again if you have the opportunity.

Email: Thibaud@kupubarong.com

Reviewed September 4, 2011

There are no words to describe Kupu Kupu Jimbaran Suites . Seeing the pictures on the website does not even come close to experiencing it in person. You have to pinch yourself looking at the breathtaking views.

If you want to chill out and have a relaxing/refreshing holiday . Well this is the right place and after one week didnt want to go home.The staff and location made this a must to book again.

Do not hesitate to stay here, we travel internationally frequently and it is right up there with the best, we will be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple