“Wave Guru keeps things mad real”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jimbaran
Wave Guru Bali Surf Camp
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Nick and Dee,

You are stars, sorry it took so long to write a review.

Ok so here is the vibe at Wave Guru

It is Nick and Dee's home... And your welcomed into it. You can help yourself to fruit 24/7 (theres always a stack of it plus left overs - so I dont understand how people got hungry!), meals are dope (3 per day - Dee is AMAZING - Im a gluten free vegan and she hooked me up hard! Caught her on the internet researching meals for me... They care that much!)

All the comforts required and more (note its not a hotel, but a home so its not gold plated but if your complaining just head down to a souless hotel on Kuta beach and you will find what you are looking for), their house is awesome, guests stay upstairs, big TV, pool table (dont play nick, he is a shark :)), scooter you can use, lifts into town every other day, like $5 taxi into town (people complaining about distance and not been able to get into town are wacked)

And then there is the surf....

If you want to surf this is the place for you. Nick knows the spots, he knows the crowds and he knows the locals.... As I said, Nick keeps thing real. If surfing is your drug then Nick is your dealer.... He has a constant supply of high quality gear. Didnt have a day we couldnt of surf (jelly arms prevented me though).

Look at the reviews, you know its good... Negitive reviews are by people that didnt really come to surf from reading them! Have no fear, book Wave Guru today (unless you dont really want to surf and are looking for more of a shopping trip).

First thing I did when I got home was talked my brother into going to Wave Guru. I would suggest it to anyone dope, so if your dope dont bother head to Kuta or just stay home... To many kooks in Bali already ;) seriously though

Thanks Again Nick and Dee
See ya soon

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sdsgibb

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Dan (review below) and I travelled to Bali late last year from Australia. We were planned to use Wave Guru as a starting point, but we also extended our stay to last the duration on our trip. Nick and Dee are wonderful hosts and the access to surf spots is unparalleled.

If early starts, stacks of surfing and home cooked meals are your thing, you'll love it here.The compound has a friendly traveller vibe, and you're basically considered one of the family as soon as you arrive.

Suited to intermediate surfers and up, Nick will show you the best of Bali's diverse breaks. You'll rock up to a spot in an unmarked 4x4 - nobody else for miles - and get the best rides of your life. The crew will push your skills, but you'll leave a better surfer for it.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristoph123
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Helped make my trip to Bali a holiday of a lifetime. Nick and Dee welcomed us like we were part of the family and really made us feel at ease. Nicks knowledge of the local surf breaks was fantastic and meant we were rarely left wanting after one of the two trips he took us on daily. Nicks is a great motivator and help push me further in my surfing and was always looking to offer advice and tips on how to catch the best waves. Great food! 3 times a day, homemade, always tasty and included in the price. Sunday is a fish bbq day. All food is fresh, generally purchased on a nearby morning food market. Dee is a master chef in my opinion and has managed to create and menu that mixes local with some western dishes. Above all I found my stay to be fantastic value for money and a really enjoyable experience both in and out of the water

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KevinSeanMcCarthy
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great surf:
Specially, if you love surfing and want to get better. Nick took us out 2 times/day, once early morning (to make sure, we get to surf without having to battle for waves with 50+ other people) once later in the eve. He'd always pick the best working spots for the day/time of the day. And if the place was not really working, he would drive us somewhere else to find better one. Also, Nick would test your ability the first day and then push you bit out of your comfort zone, so this is an excellent place if you would like to progress with your surfing, get into bigger, faster and heavier waves. I have to say, that Post Bali and my stay at Waveguru, I'm now surfing waves back home, which I've been afraid of before!
Tip: Beginners, be prepared to pay for your own lessons (up to 10 eur), as the crew staying at WG is generally intermediate and might want to surf more advanced spots.

Great food
3 times a day, homemade, super-tasty, included in price. Sunday is a fish bbq day. All food is fresh, generally purchased on a nearby morning food market. Dee is an excellent cook, even fussy foodies will be satisfied :) Portions are adequate to the amount of physical activity.

Great hosts
Nick and Dee are great hosts, who will cater for you above the standart "host" level ie: organizing your transport to/from airport, organizing a driver if you wanna go on a trip, helping you book transport to other parts of Indo (we went to Gillis and Lombok and Dee booked it for us), giving you valuable insider tips/tricks, you can use motorbike for free if you like etc). But most of all, they make you feel welcome and "at home". As one of the other reviews says "you arrive as a guest and leave as friends!". Also, the guys working with Nick&Dee are very nice and helpful!

Great place:
big, clean rooms (cleaned few times a week). Nice living room to chill-out in post-surf, good terrace to tan on, well-hidden from busy, kitch, tourist-filled streets. Night life of surrounding areas easily reachable by taxi. Few nice local restaurants in the area, plenty of nice spa&massage places around.

Great value:
If all above does not sound like it's enough, here is a bit of comparison:
We stayed in one more surf camp during our stay in Indo and paid double the price, got one less surf/day, no food, surfing between 9 - 12 every day (in the tropic heat, 2 hours on the sun, even in the water, suck all your energy our of you for the rest of the day + the spots were incredibly crowded).

Thanks Nick&Dee, we will be back!

Room Tip: You can choose A/C room or fan room. My tip: do not try to save 5 eur/day and go for A/C.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank VeronikaKis
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Comfortable accom, great food, great people (Nick and Dee) and waves coming out of your ears. Great if your kind of break includes hours of surf each day the odd afternoon nap and still plenty of time to check out the sites... Hit up all types of breaks and importantly the ones with minimum traffic, can't go wrong with a few days at Wave Guru even if its just to blow the cobwebs out.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DannyC23
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have been traveling and surfing in Indonesia for over 10 years. Being an Australian based in Singapore, I look for any opportunity to catch a wave.

If you want a hassle free trip and the best waves possible, stay with Nick and Dee. I leave a board with them permanently and visit at least once a month. Having stayed in hundreds of places in Bali, this is the one place I keep coming back to month after month.

Nick is a passionate surfer and will do whatever he can to make your trip enjoyable and a true Indo / Aussie experience.

I look forward to going again…. Off season now so the rights will be pumping!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BrettWightman
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Hey fellow surfers. First a little about myself.. A mid thirties wave hungry aussie surfer who came to Bali to do one thing and one thing only... SURF!!! Well my mission was definitely accomplished, after day 5 of havings surfed twice a day in everything from 2ft to 8ft my arms were just about falling off. But I could look back and say that I had 10 sessions of usually good to excellent waves in quite often uncrowded surf. I kept saying I will take a break tomorrow to recover but the waves never stoppped so I surfed pretty much twice a day for 2 weeks straight!

Nick your host is a good surfer with a lot of experience who knows exactly which breaks will be working on the island at what tide / wind, and more importantly he takes the crowd into account. Sometimes we drove an extra 30 or 40 minutes to go to a spot that was uncrowded and it was definitely worth it. You wake up before dark and then hit it early while everyone else is sleeping off their Kuta pub crawl hangovers. There is no way I could have surfed as many different spots as I did if I went there and relied on taxis or rented a scooter. First I wouldn't know where to go and secondly I probably would have died on a scooter trying to get there. Seriously it is not worth risking your life, get driven by a local who knows where they are going because a lot of the good spots are hard to find and long distances apart.

I had an excellent crew staying at the house when I was there. Everyone was super happy and stoked to be surfing and most importantly improving. I met some friends there that I can honestly say I would be happy to catch up with and share a wave with any time in the future. Try finding experiences like that in a cheap hotel where you are just another number. A couple of other people who stayed there were not so happy but they had other priorities / unrealistic expectations about what staying in a surf camp would entail. Thankfully they didn't stay long as they really brought the vibe of the house down.

The house is really catered to people who know how to surf or are willing to push themselves even if the conditions are beyond them. With a bunch of people staying at the house you need to go with the flow and surf wherever the van is going. The van will alway go to the place with the best waves, if you are a beginner and can't handle those places then you should probably not stay at the house as you may get dissapointed to not get your hand held. Bottom line it is a house run by surfers for surfers and if you understand that you will have a great time and not be disappointed. Dee, Nick's lovely wife, was a great cook and my belly was full at all occasions. Compared to some of the dives in Kuta the villa is actually pretty nice, compared to a 5 star resort it is not going to compare but it will be $300 cheaper per night. If you are a surfer who has travelled you will find that this place is better than 90% of all the other places your could stay on the cheap.

Thanks for the waves and the memories!!
JD

Room Tip: Air conditioned rooms are quieter but in August it was not necessary as the island was quite cool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
6 mi away
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
Watermark Hotel & Spa Bali
Watermark Hotel & Spa Bali
#2 of 4 in Kedonganan

Been to Wave Guru Bali Surf Camp? Share your experiences!