“don't go where the taxidriver takes you”

Blue Ocean Seafood Jimbaran
Ranked #209 of 248 Restaurants in Jimbaran
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Seminyak, Indonesia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“don't go where the taxidriver takes you”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Same story, the taxidriver told us he would take us to a 'honnest' restaurant with the best fish. We ordered 'fresh' jumbo prawns. They were grilled untill they were very dry and tasted horrible. For Indonesian standards, the price was absurd ans I'm sure the taxidriver got a share.
The setting however was very nice, tables on a nice beach.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank PeterL469404

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
“Not bad.. certainly not the worst!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

On the way back from Uluwatu (to Kuta Beach), I'd decided to make a detour & come to check out Jimbaran. My driver brought me here, stressing several times that I could just have a drink & chill, I was in no way obligated to have a meal.

I got myself a table on the beach, most of the tables were already occupied & the place was all abuzz with staff busy serving/clearing, the strolling band making their rounds & cultural performances were on at the nearby stage. Since it was already dark, there wasn't a great view of the sea. After ordering my drinks, I flipped through the menu & decided, oh well, I might as well have dinner here. Knowing that places like these are quite the tourist trap & it wasn't going to be cheap, I went in well aware & willing (I'm sure my driver would've been more than happy to take me elsewhere if I'd wanted!).

So, I made my way to the seafood counter, selected 500gms of squid & 500gms of fresh water prawns & selected how I'd like them prepared. I didn't wait too long before my dishes arrived. All fresh seafood orders are accompanied by a complimentary plate of stir fried kangkung (a.k.a. water spinach), a variety of yummy dipping sauces, an endless supply of rice & fresh cut fruits at the end of the meal. I'd opted for my prawns to be chilli barbecued, which turned out fine. The chilli marinade was rather yummy that I just had to have it with a bit of rice. The prawns were not over cooked & were succulent. The squid was battered & deep fried, went great with the dipping sauces.

The staff were great, stopping by every now & then to check on me (also possibly because I was alone?). The bill was not cheap but was lower than I'd expected. You can however keep the cost lower by ordering fewer fresh seafood items & having dishes like the seafood fried rice/noodles.

I didn't have an upset stomach later, the food was fine, service was good - I'd say my experience here was a good one, but I won't be making a return visit though, simply because it isn't extraordinary enough to warrant one.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank GPenaflorida
Singapore, null, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most horrible seafood anywhere in the universe”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

King prawns we chose when raw became regular sized when they arrived at our table. Fish available was not fresh. To top it off there was a 21% tax which was ridiculous coz the food was terrible. The were dishonest merchants. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.Yucky

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sabrina L
Perth
“Overpriced rip off, do not go to restaurants along this strip.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

There are some great seafood restaurants in Jimbaran, but don't ask a taxi driver to take you to a good one. They will always take you to the strip of restaurants that over charge and pay the driver a cut for the business.

We were stung some years ago by one of these restaurants but when our "friend" taxi driver said he'd take us to a "good" one owned by his friend (this one) and promised us we would pay local prices only, we thought we'd give it another go.
Bitterly disappointed is an understatement. A fish that weighed 1Kg at the most conveniently weighed 3Kg on their scales.
Admittedly the food did taste ok, we've had a lot better, but at $120 for 2 adults & 2 children who left hungry it certainly wasn't value for money.
Just to find out how much we were ripped off, we went down to the fish market down the road, where all the restaurants buy their product, and bought the exact same sizes and type of fresh seafood. It cost $13 all up and that included filleting.

The moral of the story is DO NOT ASK A DRIVER TO TAKE YOU TO A GOOD RESTAURANT. You are better off speaking to the locals who WON'T profit from their recommendation.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Claye P
“Worst place ever! Do not go here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

So disappointed with this place. The service was terrible and the food was way overcooked and did not taste good. The prices were outrageous and they told us we were getting a 1.5 kilo lobster, which was probably less than 1 kilo. 20% tax on top of the high prices. Overall, a terrible experience.

• Visited May 2013