“birthday”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Gianyar
Sydney, Australia
“birthday”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

we had a great time here we stayed 2 nights good clean rooms one big bed one single bed for our granddaughter the bath rooms are different shower great,Watching the animals from your room was amazing staff were very helpful the food a bit of a price rise,great time not much to do after 9pmThe animals were good would of liked more romming around.

Room Tip: Rooms around the paddock better to see the animals buy more veges to give the animals were a good w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MRSL HOTEL M, General Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Egg6

Thank you very much for your patronage at the Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar – Bali. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our standards.

We are more than glad to learn that you found our products and services to meet your expectations during your recent visit .

It is our priviledge to be of service to you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar – Bali in the future

Muhamad Arief Rahman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Most advertisements overstate their attractiveness but this one understated it! We were enchanted by the place. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly and obviously love their work among the animals and the visiting tourists. We took a 3 day/2 night package with all its many "extras" and didn't waste a minute. It included a night safari where you get to feed zebras and elephants with carrots plus the day safari where you visited many other animals in their enclosures. The unit we were allotted was a very spacious 2-room villa with a large balcony from where we could view some of the animals grazing. The infinity pool is raised high enough that you can also see animals walking by as you relax in the water - rhinoceros, zebras and many others - and the swim up bar ensures you can enjoy some cool refreshment at the same time. We ate in the Tsavo Lion restaurant both evenings and, yes, we did "eat with the lions" as the surrounding high glass walls let you watch them while you enjoy the excellent cuisine on offer. We only spent a brief period of time in the children's area as there was so much else to do and see - but it seemed like a fun place to be if you have younger children. All our family agreed that this was a "must see" spot if you are visiting Bali!

Dear Nera0414,

Canggu
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My friend and I booked 1 night as a birthday treat for her son. We were expecting an amazing safari adventure but got nothing of the sort.
We were given no information at check in and as a result missed the Bali Agung show so had to wait around later the next day to see it - which was pretty amazing.
The level of staff attentiveness was very poor - just little things but when you're paying a lot, you expect a lot. Having to get our own towels at the pool, no cutlery or napkins when we ordered lunch at the pool. The changing rooms and toilets look really old and dingy. There is only 1 place to eat at night and it's horrendously overpriced and the food was below average. We were told by the manager that it's run by a top Indonesian chef... well I beg to differ as who puts Teriyaki sauce on a salad as a dressing?!?!?
Our room (Kifaru) was ok but did smell like a horse stable. Unfortunately at night, my friend's ac unit started making an awful noise and kept her up all night and woke her son up and frightened him it was so loud. She was told (by the manager) that because she didn't call at 2am to get an engineer up to fix it, or relocate us, she was at fault. She didn't want to wake me and my son up or pack up all our belongings and move in the middle of the night!
The only compensation we got was a late check out - really not acceptable.
I also complained about our lack of a safari experience. NO interaction with any animals. We were told (again by the manager) that seeing a few zebras and rhinos (at a fair distance) from our balcony was the experience! I have since found out that other people could feed the zebras and had elephants walking by and spraying them etc.... we had nothing like that!
There were lots of other little things that on their own wouldn't have been that bad but all together is just not on with what they charge.
We didn't get anything extra that buying a normal ticket at the gate wouldn't have got us. The park itself is good - don't waste your money staying at the lodge.

2 Thank helmac77
MRSL HOTEL M, General Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Helmac777,

We truly appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar. I do regret that your recent visit was marred by flaws and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the shortcomings.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I love animals, so we decided to stay here 1 night in a tandala suite. I was looking forward to staying here, but my experience here was a bit underwhelming. The rooms were decent, with a comfortable bed. But the tv mounted above the patio door was too small. The bathroom was an okay size, had hot water, and had no sewage smell coming from the toilet. Our patio overlooked the area with zebras and buffalos. We did have fun throwing the carrots to the zebras, even though you do have to be able to throw well to have the carrots reach the animals. I was not able to throw far enough, so I had my boyfriend throw them. We kept calling and asking for extra carrots, and housekeeping brought them to us promptly. Staff was very friendly, but seemed to be confused whenever we asked them any questions about anything. Our room menu had at least 10 types of drinks you could order but when we tried to order them in the restaurant, they seemed confused and said they could not make those drinks. We asked the reception desk where we could order the drinks listed on the menu in the room, and they also did not know and said we probably had an old menu in our room (The menu on our room stated it was the 2012-2013 version). They put the animals away for sleep at night and let them out around 8 am, so you couldn’t see any animals outside your room at night, which was the only time we were in our room. The restaurant was limited and pricey, but to be expected from a hotel restaurant. The view is awesome though. We watched the lions the entire time we were eating and then had fun watching the meerkats on our way out. Breakfast was pretty good for a breakfast buffet, and I had my fill on dim sum and liked making my own soup. The rooms are a bit of walk from the front desk, but they are happy to drive you in a buggy if you ask or call from your room.

We also did the night safari as it was highly recommended on tripadvisor. They raised the price this year and it is $25 per person and is about 20 minutes long. However, I think that there were too many people smushed into the cage on our safari trip. We had a family of 6 full sized to overweight adults on one side, and a family of 4 on the other, so they got most of the carrots to feed the animals. We were in the middle of these families, and didn’t even have enough room to turn around.

The highlight of our stay here was the animal encounter in the lobby during the evening. Because there aren't too many guests, we both got to hold the animal twice.

I would not stay here again, and would probably only recommend this for families with children.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MRSL HOTEL M, General Manager at Mara River Safari Lodge, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear SuzieQ154,

I appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar - bali.

I am disappointed to hear about your less than perfect experience with us and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the shortcomings.

Please do let me know in case that I can be of any assistance to you and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back at Mara River Safari Lodge in the near future.

Thanks and regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We booked a family Safari Adventure in a Kifaru 2 bedroom room. Wow! The rooms were clean and spacious. The package was great allowing us to enjoy the night Safari, visit all the shows, eat in the Tsavo Restaurant for breakfast and see all the amzing animals! What a treat to relax in the pool and watch the zebas and the rhinos. This is a fabulous place to visit! My only tip is to bring some snacks for the kids. Once the zoo is closed there is only one option to eat and the food choices are limited.
We would definitely visit again !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank reg4943
Dear Reg4943

Beijing, China
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed with 2 young babies and enjoyed stay with lots of animals. Hotel is good especially family who have young children because it is good experiences to them to see animals in room, restaurant and anywhere. However, hotel reception made us very uncomfortable memories. When I checked in I had to stay at reception more than 10 minutes to get my room number and the other 10 minutes to get an answer of my query. Their attention was always to other topics like phone call and guide from group tour teams. One worst thing is they charged deposit to my credit account even I paid all expenses when I checked out. I'm waiting for their response till now. If they can provide average hotel services with professionalism, it will be more popular hotel.

Room Tip: ground floor is better than 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr Ryan Kang,

First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for your patronage at Mara River Safari Lodge, Gianyar. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our service standards.

I am dissapointed to hear that our Guest service did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. I have instantly addressed matter of your concern with my team and Management and corrective action has been taken to avoid the reoccurrence of similar incident in the future.

Thanks and regards,

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids have stayed here twice now, for 2 nights at the end of our Bali adventures. After the hustle and bustle of Kuta is was so nice to end it with some relaxation at the Safari Park. The rooms are spacious and clean with fantastic views. You can do as much or as little as liked. The pool overlooking the zebras and rhinos was so relaxing and the night safari is a must. Have recommended this to a few of our friends who have also since done the same and also loved it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa which had 2 bathrooms. Was perfect for our family.
Dear Michelle B,

Muhamad Arief Rahman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gianyar
Rumah Luwih Beach Resort and Spa
#40 of 340 in Kuta
RIMBA Jimbaran BALI by AYANA
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Elephant Safari Park & Lodge

Been to Mara River Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!