First, you absolutely need a driver in Bali - someone reliable; someone you can count on; someone who can communicate; and someone who charges a fair price. There are LOTS of drivers in Bali. There is only one Gusti Made.
What sets Made apart from all the other drivers is:
1) Complete dedication his clients. It is very evident that he is passionate and dedicated to his purpose.
2) A level of knowledge and understanding about Bali that distinguishes him as a true guide, and not just a driver.
3) He is willing to go out of his way and introduce you to local Balinese people that travellers would normally never get to meet. For example, Made introduced us to a highly respected Balinese healer and we got to take part in a sacred purification ceremony that was one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. We were the only non-Balinese people there and this was all thanks to Made. He has 'friends in high places' and everyone loves and respects him. I have had a few of the most amazing experiences of my life, thanks to Made.
4) He takes initiative and has many suggestions about where to go and what to do.
5) He is incredibly flexible with his time. We had multiple days where a 2 hour venture turned into an all day journey. Made was always smiling and happy and accommodating.
6) His English is brilliant - the best of any guide I have met in Bali.
7) He is proactive and engaged - there are many places in Bali, like Seminyak, Canggu and Ubud, where parking can be a challenge so the driver needs to drop you off and then figure out a plan to find you later. Made had the most uncanny way of knowing where we were. As soon as we would think that we need to go find him, his smiling face would appear before us, no matter how far we had gone from the original drop off place.
Our last visit to Bali was for 2 weeks, and we had Made for the majority of our time there. He was able to suggest the best restaurants and cafes that we never would have found without him; he was able to help us decide between different options. He has had clients who are professional photographers; food critics; adventurers; doctors - people from all walks of life with varied interests and so, his accumulation of knowledge over the past years is very apparent. He is unquestionably one of the best drivers and guides in Bali.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.