“WOW - highlight of the trip, what a hidden gem”

Munduk Wilderness - Day Tours
Haunted Valley Waterfall ATV and Bike Tour
Ranked #33 of 453 Outdoor Activities in Denpasar
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Munduk Wilderness offers unique adventure day tour and overnight package. The activities ranging from driving mountain buggy, downhill cycling, horse riding, rain forest walk and swimming at pristine waterfall.
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have already recommended this to everyone that travel frequently to bali. My sister and I were lucky enough to stumble upon this tour after having a look on the internet. We didnt know what to expect, and wow we were impressed. We were picked up from our hotel in kuta in a comfortable car, and travelled about 2.5hrs north to Munduk base camp.
The drive was so beautiful, and Jony - the part owner of the business, was great company too.
Upon arriving at the base camp we were greeted with a cup of tea and some time to take in the amazing scenery. From the base camp located high in the mountains you are able to see all the way to the northern ocean view, just breathtaking.
We chose to do the horse riding tour which involved a drive in the komodo car, a horse ride through the rainforest , coffee break at a local traditional village, and a canoe across the lake.
We were far from confident on the horses, but the guides were fantastic. I was in awe the whole time at the beauty of this location.
We returned back to base camp for a lovely 3 course meal before heading back to kuta. The drive back was even great - the car seats reclined and we were given pillows to doze off after the long day.
The tour was completely private from the pick up to the entire experience, besides lunch when we met a family dining alongside.
We were told that there will soon be a day spa, so for those not too interested in the adventure side of things - hang back and relax while u enjoy the views.

Would love to go again, next time I'd definitely go for the komodo car tour - quality buggy, much better than others we have used in other tours.

2  Thank Em_Sando
There are newer reviews for Munduk Wilderness - Day Tours

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I don't write too many reviews but this place absolutely deserves one, so here we go..

When I first arrived in Bali (Kuta) I didn't know exactly how I would be spending my 3 weeks here. I was eager for adventure and since I was traveling alone, there were no limits. Someone in Bali adviced me to book a day tour with MWA since he had done it himself and he thought it would be just the thing I was looking for. I asked him (Damian) to set it up for me and that was basically how it started.

I traveled to Munduk by myself and did some other adventurous stuff (e.g. waterfall canyoning at Gitgit) leading up to Friday.

They picked me up by Komodo at the resort I was staying. During the drive to the base camp I already had a lot of fun with the two employees. They told me I was the only person to take a daytour and I was perfectly content with that. The basecamp was beautifully located at the top of a hill. The place itself was gorgeous as well and the staff was incredibly friendly (everybody there seemed to be interested in me for some reason, perhaps because I was asking for the most extreme they had to offer and was litterly jumping and running around the place because I couldn't wait to start the program after such a great welcoming).

After briefly talking to Jony (manager) over the phone, my program was set: downhill mountain biking, a hike through ricefields, visiting a beautiful waterfall and racing with the komodo through some rough terrain back to base camp. I won't go into detail because I think you should experience it yourself (and I don't want to spoil any surprises) but I will say this: everything was professionally organized and all elements of the daytour smoothly blend together, even though there were some unanticipated hick ups. I personally liked the downhill mountain biking the most since it was a non stop adrenaline rush and the track was simply amazing (don't think too much, just go!!) (please note that I was one on one with the guide therefore it was hardcore, if you're with a group you will probably go as fast as the slowest participant).

Back at base camp I took a hot shower (they provided towels, shampoo and body gel) and they prepared a delicious three course meal that hit the spot after all the activities. The freshly brewed coffee was the icing on the cake.

I hope this review makes you decide to take a tour with MWA. I sincerely hope that their business will flourish and attract the type of customers they deserve. I say this because at the moment of writing there are less than 15 reviews and being the only person doing the daytour makes me believe that MWA needs some advertising to get the attention they deserve!!

I've been travelling for months through southeast Asia and been doing many physical and adventurous stuff, MWA is in my top 3..

To all the staff of MWA: thanks for the great care and memorable experience. This review is a token of appreciation ;)

7  Thank TTys0n
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

As described by previous reviewer it was the best day of our Bali trip. Mario & Jony were great & so much fun. The meal served to us after was fantastic...too much for just my daughter & myself. Will definitely be back to do it again!!! Thanks guys for a great day :)

1  Thank jas0752
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Well! While I would not consider us world travellers, I think my family and I have visited Bali enough to have pretty well seen and done most all it has to offer.
How wrong I could be!
On our latest sojourn, of which we have booked into a private 3 bedroom villa, we were introduced to MUNDUK WILDERNESS Adventurers, we opted for the "Dragons breath expedition" and a totally honest Bali did we see.
Our guide picked us up from our lodging around 7:45am, in a nice new mini bus and trekked us across the opposite side of the island, giving us opportunity to see most of the touristy places along the way, Monkeys, Temple on the lake, epic views, etc. When we reached Munduk and turned left for the last 4km leg, the bus ride got very interesting, driving along ridge lines with plunging edges less than 2 meters away on either side and a road surface that had all but disappeared due to torrential rain a few days before that I would not have tried driving on without a 4wd, bought us to our initial and as we later found out our final destination.
Greeted on the side of the road by about seven staff all wanting to shake our hand, introduce themselves and give us refresher towels, we were ushered into the establishment for a chilled beverage. Upon entering we were shocked by the stunning view across and into the valley eventually disappearing into the haze and mist, so now we had an idea of the gods sitting above, going about there business watching the world slip by.
After due refreshment and a minor hiccup with payment via Eftpos we were taken to our Komodo, that had been pre packed with our bikes and lunch, for an introduction to its most basic operation (just the same as a go cart) and then it was on!
Following back the way we were driven in, we were amazed at how the bus driver could have driven on this road! After about 10 minutes we were re checked for capability and lead to the bike point. A quick unload of bikes by the staff and we were off. Unfortunately Tyler found the two wheels a bit to daunting as he is used to his trike, so only lasted about 5 min, then a quick exchange to get him back into the Komodo and off again. Sadly not ten minutes later the guide, trying to show off with a front wheel stand went straight over his handle bars and thud onto the road (very badly) several staff and ourselves were there in seconds and he was adamant he was ok, but seeing the angle of his wrist I knew it was a break! Exit one guide, bring on the mechanic (our newest instant guide.)
When they say the ride is down hill, they REALLY mean down hill, I rode at least 90% of the way with the front break on almost full and the rear brake being used to try and slow down. Alas after about 30 minutes it proved to much for Penny and she also went head over heels but luckily with a much softer and slower landing than the guide. She chose to continue in the Komodo, leaving Tamika, myself and the Mechanic / Guide to finish the bike section which I must admit it was pretty heavy going; I found it impossible to remove a hand at any time or catastrophe would have followed. But It was totally incredible and a must do experience. The path was fairly adventurous, through native jungle, plantations and stunning scenery. All the farmers and especially ther children would run to the fence line and call "hellloo" waving their hands profusely, we would yell, hello back, occasionally we would call salamat pagi and they would be amazed that westerners would call in Bahasa. After maybe 2 hours of downhill flying, it was back into the Komodo (thank goodness) and a short run up to a stunning spot for lunch.
A few rounds of fresh ham, cheese and salad, with views to die for and it was off again. The Terrain while adventurous was not daunting and even consisted of some town road driving in Munduk and Banjar, I am still unsure as to how they get past the licence as none were asked for or produced and all had an opportunity to drive! During our drive through Banjar there was a cremation ceremony taking place so the guide asked if we would pay our respects, we have seen and attended this ceremony before which I felt was more touristy than ceremony, but this one was a real experience! The guide was explaining everything to us when a gentleman came and expanded on a few issues, as it turned out, it was his Aunt that the ceremony was for, we discussed in depth the ceremony and differences in customs, we met his wife and had tea and cakes with them while the discussion went on.
After this rest we cruised for awhile longer to the bottom of the mountain and entered Banjar Holy hot springs which is a destination I have been trying to get to for a number of years but had always been told it was not worth the trip there, however this proved to be a perfect way to thoroughly enjoy the hot springs. After all the adventures of the day it was a very welcoming indeed to amble through the street sellers, down into a valley paradise, across the bridge over a running brook and there in front of you is the springs, 3 separate bathing areas ranging in heat and strength of pressure. A float in the springs and quick wash and then our waiting staff were ushering us back to the Komodos to reach base camp in time for dinner.
Another trip with a bit rougher tracks bought us around the mountain to the back of the original starting point at Munduk Wilderness where again all the staff were waiting to serve us hand and foot. A scrumptious 3 course meal was consumed while surveying the land for miles around, during the meal our guide came and asked if after dinner we would go and plant a tree with a small plaque and give them our email address so they could send updates of how the tree was going from time to time (very good marketing ploy?)
All through this I was waiting for extra bills but none came? I figured it must just be added on at the end of the day, but no EVERYTHING was included in the original, very reasonable cost.
While drowsing in and out of sleep on the long drive home I felt content in the days activities knowing that this days adventure was one of those memories that are filed for future use if ever the chips are down! A truly great deal that showed us places and memories irreplaceable that I still consider was way under priced, but probably the best value we have found in Bali. Highly, highly recommended and in fact we are planning the next adventure with them, but I will have to wait for the pictures to download, as apparently if we send some to them, of our last trip, they give you a good discount as well.

4  Thank aussiallan
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is definitely the highlight of my Bali trip! We went there for a rain forest horse riding session, and a canoeing session at lake tamblingan, and both were fabulous ! The horse riding session was amazing, the weather was just nice, the rainforest air was cool and refreshing, which made our ride even more enjoyable. We had three tour guides, Silik, Sika and Joni, and all of them were super friendly, helpful and attentive during the ride, their services were five-star! The team provided raincoats for us in the middle of the ride when it started to drizzle, and offered my friend a plaster when he accidentally got a scratch on his leg during the ride. At the end of my ride, they even extended my horse-riding session for 15 min, knowing that I had enjoyed the session very much.

The older tour guide was really familiar with the tracks and so we never felt like we're gonna get lost in the dense forest. The horses are really tame and safe to ride, even for beginners! This was my first time riding a horse and my guide did a really great job in teaching me to steer my horse, which made my first horse riding experience unforgettable and fun.We stopped by a house owned by a local to have a cup of coffee, and the host was really welcoming.

The tour at the lake was more relaxing, but the sight was spectacular and the waters were really clean. It was not touristy or crowded at all, only some local villagers fishing and building wood houses. By the time we reached the base camp for our lunch, we were welcomed by the jovial restaurant staffs and with hot teas. We had a delicious five course meal, with bakso ayam as appetizer, deep fried fish fingers with sweet and sour sauce, deep fried chicken thigh with soy sauce, a mixed vegetable dish and white rice for main course, and a dessert platter with black sticky rice pudding and a banana tapioca kue served with black sugar syrup.

And not to forget our driver abang Ronald, who was a humble polite young man, with great driving skills. The roads on the mountains were rocky and steep, but abang Ronald was really careful and alert, no speeding or talking on the phone or anything like that during the whole trip. He even kept the radio volume down to minimum when we were sleeping.

This is a must-visit place for people who enjoy sightseeing, serenity and some adventures. The tour guides and the staffs are the most valuable assets of the company! For the price that we paid, counting in the great services that we got, the free transportation to and from munduk, the 5 course lunch, and the sheer awesomeness of the tour, this tour was certainly more than value for money. All in all, it was a great trip and must not be missed!

1  Thank superlexiethings