“Good driver but NOT a tour guide!”

The Bali Driver & Tour Guide
Experience for Yourself
More Info
$49.00*
and up
Bali Sightseeing Day Trip from Temples, Volcano to Hot Spring
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bali Driver is a professional and private transportation, driving and guiding services in Bali. The Bali Driver website is designed to get in touch with travelers visiting Bali, looking for a different way of traveling away from the hustle and bustle of commercialized tourism, bringing you directly to the roots of Bali Hindu culture, showing you the secrets and beauty of this island.
Dublin, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Good driver but NOT a tour guide!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have booked his services based on great reviews here.

It started great - Didi showed up to pick us up at the airport and he took us to the hotel.

The next day he was waiting for us in the reception and everything was going great. He took us to see the traditional Balinese house and Barong dance. One thing that we noticed was that he wasn't too much of a talker - he would answer when asked about something, but not initiate the conversation (something that I expect from the tour guide).
He took us everywhere we wanted and all in all the first day was good.

The next day was a Galungan day which is a big holiday in Bali and Didi suggested that we stay in Ubud as driving is going to be difficult because of the celebrations. We agreed.

The day after Galungan - Didi was supposed to pick us up at the hotel before 9AM - he wasn't there. We tried to call him at 9.30 and he picked up all confused and said that he's on his way but he had an accident and some problems with his car, but he will be there to pick us up in 15 minutes. about 40 minutes later he showed up and he admitted that he had overslept! but assured us that we will still see everything we had in our plan and offered us some discount as a compensation. On the way he suggested that we skip Besakih Temple because it's a tourist trap and not worth seeing. We insisted to see it anyway (and it was a good decision). After that he took us for lunch - to the restaurant with crappy overpriced buffet food - which paid him commission (that place charged us $40 for the food I couldn't even eat because it was disgusting)!

Finally partially because he was late in the morning we didn't make it to see the Tegalalang, but he assured us that tomorrow he'll take us to Jatiluwih as it's on the way to Danu Bratan and it's actually better than Tegalalang anyway. We agreed but with the condition that if we won't like it he'll take us to Tegalalang tomorrow.

The next day his other driver showed up as a replacement. He spoke poor English and spoke even less than Didi himself - he was pretty much silent all the way. come on! taxi drivers in Ubud talk more!

He took us to Jatiluwih which was not on the way! (one hour each way) and it was really disappointing - after I said it - the driver admitted that it's not the best time to see rice terraces there - and that Tegalalang would be much better! we were furious!

I still had some hope that when we actually get to Danu Bratan he'll tell us something about it, but my hope was lost when he announced that he'd like to go rest and have his breakfast and we can go see it ourselves. We have paid for a tour guide which wasn't even accompanying us now!

Later we told him that he has to take us to see Tegalalang, it was a long drive, but he did it - it was well worth it - the rice terraces were beautiful.

To sum it up. His service as a driver were good (mind being late one day), he took us everywhere we wanted, but neither Didi nor his employee was a tour guide, so when ordering his services - keep that in mind!

Visited July 2012
6 Thank SlavD
Didi S, Owner at The Bali Driver & Tour Guide, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear SlavD
Thank you for submitting your review on The Bali Driver & Tour Guide. It seems that you wrote a fake review. I have no customers on Galungan day, none of my driver also work on galungan. You ended up with review saying that we are unprofessional not a tour guide. Someone with my name? May be. But from my schedule, there is no one in my team working on Galungan Day.
If you have your email record to us, would be great if you can show us. If you write a fake review for some other driver who tried to make a bad review about us, I will report your account and your review as a fake account to Tripadvisor.com. If you really had a bad experience with us, we are OK to show the bad review here on Tripadvisor.
We are open for any critics and suggestion, but not fake review.

Thank you for your attention, we are waiting for your good cooperation.

Best regards

Didi Suprapta
Owner

• Indonesian first
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice trip, recommended”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

wir booked the bali driver for a one day trip; it was a very nice trip, pleasant very well english speaking driver and a good car. we even went to some offroad beaches hidden in the woods which were very nice with very few people.

we paid 400 which is a very reasonable price. I can just recommend The Bali Driver!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank pvonk
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ketut Pica, our hero!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went to Bali with my girlfriend and we can honestly say that our bali-experience would definitely not be the same without Ketut. He has shown us every little spot of the island and the stories that came with along with it completed our trip. We have visited the famous Vulcanos, the largest temple (Pura Besakih), the ricefields in Ubud, Dreamland and many more beautiful places.

Ketut also manages a wild water rafting circuit and a nice Spa. The rafting is a must-do!! You don't only get to see the beautiful nature but it also is a great adventurous thing to do. No lies, the Spa was so nice! We went there a couple of times and his employees were so kind and well-trained.. definitely a good place to finish you day.

Now that you have read all the great things about his service, you might be wondering what kind of person Ketut is. This man has traveled the whole world and therefore has a well developed and diverse knowledge about this planet and it's humans. He is a very calm and patient man and never complains about anything. He always made sure that we were okay and always made a good price for his services, including the rafting and spa!! He became a very good friend along the journey and we still keep in touch once in a while! I look forward to seeing him again and to visit his beautiful Indonesian island next year!

André Marques
The Netherlands

Visited December 2012
3 Thank AJMarques
Puniadi M, Manager at The Bali Driver & Tour Guide, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Please note, that I Ketut Pica is not affilidated with The Bali Driver or Mr Didi as the owner. A few weeks ago, Ketut Pica tried to change our listing into his personal listing and attracting his customer to write a review here.
Thanks you for your understand.

Best Regards
Puniadi
Toronto, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Kind, Friendly & Knowledgeable”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My girlfriend found Didi's travel company online, through guess who? - tripadvisor.

We hired him for a full day from Seminyak that took us through Ubud, up to Batur (volcano) and finishing at Tanah Lot before coming home.

I found Didi incredibly knowledgeable about Bali - offering insights into Balinese culture, economics, tourism and, of course, the best Babi Gulung. He was also very kind. After I couldn't get money out of an ATM (because I didn't inform my bank where I was traveling - and they shut me down for security. Dumb mistake, on my part.) - Didi was the calmest one between us. While I panicked about how to pay him, he took it in stride, saying that he knew it would sort itself out. (Which it did. My girlfriend had more foresight than me, and warned her bank she'd be traveling so was able to get out money. Life lesson: surround yourself with people smarter than you)

I would highly recommend Didi as a tour guide if you want to see the island but also understand what you're looking at, and where you're passing through. We have two days left in our trip here in Bali, but until now, I'd say our trip with Didi ranks as our top experience so far.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Marc V
Newport Beach, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“BEST GUIDE HANDS DOWN!!!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nina and I have had the pleasure to travel much of the world having gone to SE Asia three times, Europe a handful of times, all over Mexico/US, South America and so forth. On most of our trips we've arranged private guides enabling us to learn/see as much as possible in a short period of time. After all these trips and all our guides, Didi is the one who truly stands out as the gold standard and who we compare all guides to... nobody has lived up to him though. If you're considering a trip to Bali then there is honestly no reason to contact another guide as Didi is the most responsive, the most personable, the most educated and will become your best Balinese friend by the end of your trip. He is someone we would happily welcome into our home and would consider a trip back to Bali to spend more time with him in his magical country. Thank you for providing the most outstanding service and experience humanly possible on Bali Didi, it was truly appreciated. By the way, he's also a phenomenal photographer, which is sometimes hard to find in other guides, but such as asset!

Visited May 2012