“Picturesque Hill Resort”

Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Mussoorie
Dehradun
“Picturesque Hill Resort”
Reviewed January 21, 2010

we had a package of two nights and three days during Christmas vacations. the resort is located on besides Gunhill on a distance of about 500 mts from Mall Road. All the cottages are well equipped with all facilities including Kitchen with microwave, LCD, electrically heated mattresses and quilts. Bathrooms are quite big with heated towel rods. All the rooms have beautiful scenic views of hills. Fun club for children, Traditional Massage facilities and evening games with bonfire are few things rarely found in hill resorts.

Food is excellent and variety of them is available. Specially buffet breakfast has items for everyone.

Only thing not upto the point is room service, which may be due to two reasons. One staff is less and the second cottages are scattered in large area resulting in more time required for room services.

Overall excellent experience of stay in Avalon, Mussoorie

• Liked — location ndscenery
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Mumbai
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Avalon is a wonderful property and our experience has been better than what I have read here! It is true the property is located at the top of a hill and commuting from the center could be a problem, but we always had a hotel vehicle to pick us up and drop us to the mall. Our room was located at the highest point in the property and climbing up in the chill December weather was an effort. So once you are up in your room, you need to have a real good reason to come down and return back. But hey, you need to be fit to stay up. So all of those who have old parents, mothers with infants, weak knees, heart problems ensure you book and categorically ask for a room at the lower level. Coming back, our room had a fab view, the housekeeping did a fair job of keeping it clean always and the food at the hotel was good. In all a pretty good place, but a wee bit expensive if you consider value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Noida, India
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We just had a wonderfull experience at this Resort in Mussoorie. It was a nice pleasant stay, away from the chaos of the city. It was so refreshing that we wished to extend our holidays for another 2-3 days but couldnt. We went there through club mahindra membership. Its located at the second highest peak in Mussoorie, named Hill Top. The rooms were adequately equipped with all the amenities. The food was delicious and the staff was well mannered. The service was well within acceptable time limits, if not on time. It was worth staying in our resort as our apartment had a large glass window, giving us a beautifull scene of mountains and valley with clouds moving all over.
The kitchen with microwave, toaster and basic facilities with hot and cold water was like a topping on the ice.
There was a pick and drop facility provided from the Resort side so the distance from the market and mall road didnt bother at all.
All in all we returned with moments to cherish for long, if not forever.

• Liked — Its Location.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mumbai
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Take my word for it ...

The most horrible hotel experience I had in recent times.
This hotel is nowhere even close to be called a 1 star hotel.
There are numerous let offs. Beginning with the staff. I guess the staff are just picked up randomly from the road.. no hotel management experience nothing ..
We reached Dehara Dun in the early morning 5 ish . I had earlier booked a cab with the hotel but to my horror the cab was not present at the station.
So I called up the hotel .. they Smsed me the drivers no .. I had to call him ask him where he was, to add to my dismay the driver was sleeping, he told me that he can pickup us only by 8a, I called the hotel to send me a new cab, they disappointment me further saying that he is the only driver they have. This got me all irritated. So i took the local taxi to mussoorie that all in 150 Rs .. the taxi stand is just a few steps away from the railway station.
The location of the hotel is on the second highest peak in mussoorie , something that they boost about but actually its really not something to be proud of.
The hotel is inaccessible from the main mall road . We had a ambassador, the local taxi guy couldn't lift his car to the "high peaks". He left us mid way on the steep winding road.
I called the hotel to send someone to pick us up from the mid way. I got a cold response from the hotel saying that all their skilled drivers will arive at the hotel at 9 am . I really had it by that time, because I had my elderly parents with me. I decided to walk to the hotel. Its really like climbing the EVEREST..
With all the luggage and my parents we reached the hotel in half an hour. A journey that could take 3 min by cab was stretched to half on hour. After reaching to the main lobby I requested to a room. After some paper work they provided me with a room. I was shocked to see the location of the room. It was on the topmost part of the hill. I called up the reception and asked them to provide me with a room close by to the main premises a promise that they would provide me one remained a promise till the end.
I would request all the travelers to avoid this hotel to the very end.
There are many who will agree to all the "hospitality" of this sick hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank cavemen

Travelers are raving about these Mussoorie hotels

delhi
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed there through our RCI membership. The Hotel has an excellent location, right at the centre of Mall Road on Gun Hill, Mussoorie. The climb to the hotel is a bit steep but the hotel's cab can pick you up & drop for INR 75/-. If you are not a wimp , you can enjoy the daily climb free.
The restaurant was just okay, but the good thing is you can walk down to KALSANG which serves some of the best TIBETAN food. They also serve Chinese & Thai food. The restaurant is owned & run by a Tibetan family. The service is excellent, the interiors are warm & inviting and the waiters' hairstyles are funky. Don't miss.
"Chic Chocolates's" chocolates are rightfully deserving of their excellent reputation. However their Pizzas & Pastas were a letdown.
CASA MIA's quality has gone down. Their cream rolls/horns were sans any cream & tasted stale. They were always out of Garlic Bread, so it must be selling well.The pastries were a disappointment, having indifferent taste.
Regulars like SAGAR RATNA, BARISTA, C.C.D., DOMINOES, etc. are there.
River-rafting & camping etc. are nearby at Rishikesh, but this not being the season, we gave it a miss.
Horse riding is fun on Camel Back Road. But do check the horses. My daughter's horse slipped on a turn amid full gallop. She was lucky to escape with minor bruises.
As the hotel is centrally located, all these activities are easy to indulge in.

The only sore point was the management's attitude. On arrival, as per our terms of booking with RCI, we offered to pay "Utility Charges" which the resort said could be paid at the time of checking out. However, the next day we received a call from RCI saying we had refused to pay the charges.
Our stay was till the 17th having paid till then, but we decided to check out on the 16th. The resort guys wanted us out of the room, as they wanted to give out the room again.
On both occassions they relented and were apologetic but it did spoll the wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
delhi
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Make sure while booking the exact room location and type before you reach them . They can offer you a side cornered dirtly room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank am304
Noida
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Am a frequent traveller and stay out often both India and Abroad but Avalon Resort had been one of the worst experiences in recent times. Zero value for money. We stayed for a night with our twin sons and it was no pleasure. Service is too poor and too slow, the attitude is worst and except for a couple of warm staff. The beds are lousy and after a long travel i wanted to climb into the bed but just a feel of bed, I jumped out and was better to sit on bed... Absolutely inflexible, one of the worst worst experiences. Not an enjoyable place if hygiene, service, cleanliness and warmth are anywhere on your list....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family