“My new favorite hotel in Mussoorie”
Review of Carltons Plaisance

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mussoorie
Carltons Plaisance
Ranked #49 of 76 Hotels in Mussoorie
Reviewed December 9, 2010

We went with a group of friends to Mussoorie this winter, in the mood for relaxation and lots of fun, and in the process found this hidden gem that is now our go-to hotel for our vacations. In fact, I might pick Mussoorie over Nainital just because of the Carlton. Nainital is nice (I always go as a pack of young folks), but I haven't found a hotel as relaxing, with such tasty food, huge rooms (try playing cards or Tripoli with 6 friends in a regular hotel room), great service, and amazing ambience.
I normally stay at 5-stars (thanks expense account!) for business travel around Asia, and while they're great, don't have any 'feel' to them. So instead of the Jaypee in Mussoorie, I picked the Carlton for our trip, after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. In hindsight, a very good choice!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ssuuppeerr

Reviewed December 4, 2010

I totally understand the ambivalence shown in many other reviews. The old building is charming and completely filled with various period furniture making this a bit of a time pocket. But it's also very run down and could be so much greater than what it currently is. At the same time it is by no means cheap, but I guess this is Mussoorie for you in general.

The lady who owns and runs this place is a smooth talker, somewhat helpful, but definitely a business woman! Enough said.

The place is located a bit outside Mussoorie town, which makes it peaceful but also means that it is only practical to stay here if you have own transport.

I selected the "recommend" option but only just! And only for those who value charm and history over comfort and tidiness.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Wow is the word that comes to mind when one thinks back of one's stay at the hotel. The comfort, the service, the ambiance, the food....everything was just perfect. The cleanliness and hygiene was remarkable. It gave the feeling of a home away from home...one could leisurely sit in the lawns and relax .
Mrs. Anu Singh was a great hostess, looking into the minutest detail and going out of the way to assist and provide help, where ever needed. She is a great company too. Children really enjoyed playing badminton and reading books out in the open. A beautiful fragrance of the trees and the calm and quiet beckon me to visit it again and again.
We enjoyed our trip a lot and I would recommend that if one get an opportunity ,,,one must make it a point to stay at this hotel.
It is a life time experience !!! C'est Super !!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ronica29
Reviewed September 28, 2010

This is a lovely heritage style hotel... like a rambling big house with a beautiful garden, fruit trees, etc. It is run by Anu and Ajit Singh who take great pains to understand the needs of your family and instruct their staff accordingly. There are a variety of rooms to suit every need... we went as a couple with four kids and they gave us a comfortable suite. I love that the location is away from the very crowded city centre and it has a calm feeling... I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Our stay was a true highlight of our time in India. We arrived at the Carltons Plaisance with two children, aged 9 and 10. The hotel is family run and we were welcomed and felt like family when we left. Anu and his mother were gracious hosts. We had a huge room, (the blue room which Sir Edmund Hilary had stayed in) with large bathroom and sunroom and large bathroom. It is like stepping back in time. The sunroom opens out to the garden, with a breath taking view of the foothills of the Himalaya's.
The staff were fantastic and had many interesting stories to share. Our children had a great time. Above you is a temple and a castle, now a school to explore. A short ride into town.
The food was delicious. I will definately return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank happytravelsnz
Reviewed September 14, 2010

The hustle-bustle of the city catches up to all of us every now and then. Especially if your a businessman. Stress is your constant companion, migraines never stop coming your way, the continuous phone-ringing, demands to meet, directives to follow... its endless, its life. But every person reaches his/her saturation point and after staying at Carlton I can vouch for it when I say that Carlton is the perfect getaway.

DESCRIPTION OF THE ROOM:
The room we stayed in consisted of a Double-bed accompanied with bed-side tables each with their own reading lamp, a fire place in front of which lay a small tea-table with two cushy chairs. Mos of the furniture is the same that was used previously by the king and queen. So it truly has a taste of royalty to it. The floor was carpeted so one could roam about freely without feeling the cold. A beautifully carved polished wooden dressing table with three mirrors for different viewpoints and two drawers and a small stool beside which was a cupboard with shelves and room to hang clothes under which was a loft to keep your suit case. There was also a stone shelf carved out of the wall on the right side of the room which we used to keep our other suitcase. The walls were white. The ceiling was high and their were air ducts whose controls hung from the ceiling along side the wall with thin rope. This was quite a spectacular way of monitoring the room temperature, 100% natural.
The bathroom was half the size of the room! all necessary requirements of a standard restroom were installed. The bathing equipment although was a little faulty though (my father sat on a stool and it cracked, gave him a bruise) it was as such quite alright.
There was a window in it with a mosquito net whose purpose was air-circulation and it served well. There was also an alternate exit to it which was locked from both inside and outside.
Conjoined with the room was a small seating area from which a view of the mountains was clearly visible. A dinning table for meals and a sofa set occupied the space. There was also a door that led to the open veranda outside.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE :
My father and i have stayed at many hotels ranging from the best 5-star hotels of the Taj in Delhi to the Mayfair Hotel in London. Carlton may not have a 5 star rating but I can assure you it has one thing that none of these hotels had - The Human Touch. The owners, the staff, every employee has a sense of respect for their customers. They are humble and serve you with as much love as parents take care of their children. They take pains for your joy.
I'll give you an example, before we went there I spoke to Carlton, and asked if they have 'Star World' on they're cable because I willed to see 'Castle' on it. They replied in the affirmative. Upon reaching the room we found out that our television did not have it. These kind of mistakes are very common amongst hotels so although we bought it to their notice we din't think any action would be taken. We were in for a surprise. When we returned after our long day, a private 'Tata-Sky' connection had been installed in our room at no extra charge. The cabel was gone and we were watching 'Castle' on HD that night.
Apart from this we got to meet the chef and order our choice of foods ranging in international cuisines, we got to see the life-like statues of Tigers in the lobby greeting us with feirce looks and roars, the sounds of rare birds chirruping in the morning replaced the alarm clock, The sunset was visible from the window, the snow-covered hills could be seen, etc. etc... It was marvelous. Being a little far from the mall road it was quite strenuous traveling to and fro from the main arcades and in my mind that was the only drawback I can think of. Even for the smallest thing, you'd have to go 3km. for its purchase. But then again, the whole point of a 'getaway' hotel is to be away from the crowdy area so perhaps its designed to be that way.

SPECIAL:
The food is just to die for. Eat all your meals (or as many as you can) at the hotel, order room service and enjoy the gastronomically delightful sumptuous feasts.
Cook's name - Mann Bahadur
The head of service was a person by the name of Usmann, he too served us extremely well. whatever you wanted he got for you with a smile on his face (which about him was the best part - he was literally happy to serve).

We were fortunate to meet Anu Aunty and Ajit uncle on the last day of our stay. (incase your wondering they're the owners) Its after meeting them that I understood why this was such a great hotel - because they were such nice people. They feed us with specially prepared food and educated us about the history of the hotel and their other ventures.

If you go to Mussoorie, stay at the Carlton. That's my advice to you. You'll love it!

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank Av_Rulz
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This place was a dream come true! I have never been to a place that could include so much beauty under one roof. The hospitality provided by Mrs. Anu Singh and her man friday Mr. Usmaan was unbeatable. The room was spacious and clean and displayed the grandeur of the generations it has witnessed. The lawns and the open area where I and my driver had our drinks in the open overlooking the hills is one of my most cherished memories. The place was safe for the children to venture out on their own without any of us bothering about it. All in all, given a choice, I would always like to stay here irrespective of how many times I visit the hills.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family