My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in suite no. 8. in June week 1. This quaint and charming property located near Company Garden can perhaps be better described as a homestay than a hotel. It oozes old-world charm. A summary of things we found really great and a few that could have been perhaps a little better.
1. Getting an opportunity to being part of this place's living history - you actually feel as if you have time-travelled back a few centuries - everything, right from the mantle piece and sprawling dining room, to the antique furniture suggests that. The same applies to the very large and cosy suite (no. 8) we stayed in which opened out into a shared sitting space and then onto the back garden and afforded a decent view of the hills beyond.
2. The gracious hosts - both Mr and Mrs Singh who own and run this place were very kind, polite and hospitable. Mrs Singh without a moment's delay went out of her way to help organize a taxi from the hotel to delhi at a much cheaper price as well. Mr Singh was kind enough to reserve a hills-facing suite (room no. 8) as we requested
3. The polite and non-obstrusive staff
4. Good quality sleep and an unlimited supply of hot water in the large and airy bathrooms
5. Whatever simple food we ordered was pretty well-made. Our short stay here did not allow us the opportunity to sample their steaks and fish orly which apparently are quite popular.
Area of improvement
The place had a slightly tired look about it at the time we visited (partition screen between 2 suites in the shared seating area was faded; one of the sofas appeared to be broken, the wardrobe needed dusting and lastly, repairs to upholstery were being carried out near the front porch visible to any person entering into the hotel). We raised the last point of the repairs to Mrs Singh who explained the factors contributing to it - while we are totally convinced and accept the reasons as genuine, all we can suggest is that these repairs and maintenance activities be carried out a bit more discreetly perhaps in some nook or corner of this sprawling property rather than the main porch, as it ultimately was a bit of an eye sore and detracted from the otherwise good experience and value for money. What this place needs is more sprucing up!