“I wish I could live here forever...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carltons Plaisance

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mussoorie
Carltons Plaisance
Ranked #44 of 74 Hotels in Mussoorie
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“I wish I could live here forever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the place to live in if you seek warmth... Irrespective of the season...

I rate my holiday to Mussoorie with my wife as one of the top two holidays that I have ever had. And this has much to do with my experience staying at the Carlton Plaisance. Mrs Anu Singh (Anu Aunty as I call her now) and Mr Ajit Singh offer this exotic home away from home experience that the best of professional hotel chains just cannot deliver. Nothing is packaged or commodatised here - after all, how does one package genuine warmth, concern and personalized attention...

It not just Anu aunty and Ajit uncle but the small motley bunch of genuine and honest staff that create the Carlton experience. These gentlemen may not have the trained polish that typical trained 5 star staff exude, but they more than make up for it with genuine exuberance, concern and efficiency. The food was lovely and freshly cooked. Yes - they take a couple of hours to bring it to you because the cook it from a scratch - especially for you. I recommend the chicken roast and Ajit uncles recipe, Kadua Tel ka Chicken.

The property itself is quaint, homely and away from the touristy hustle bustle of Mussoorie's Mall Road. The area around the hotel is serene and tranquill. Having said that, the mall road is only a 10 minute walk away. The property is well over a 150 years old (maybe 200) and if you crave for sepia toned nostalgia, each nook and corner has a story to tell. The property was apparently owned by an Englishman who married a French-woman, who in turn was a daughter of one of the Nawabs of Audh. Much of the furniture and home decor is well over a 100 years old.

The rooms are not typical hotel rooms. Each room is clean, homely and pleasant and has its own distinct identity. I stayed in two different room just for the experience (And Anu aunty was kind enough to allow me to). The hotel and the room gives one the sense of living in a heritage family home with your grandparents. The room that I stayed in had a back door which opened up to a lovely garden area. My wife and I loved to have my morning tea here looking out at the majestic snow mountains at a distance and the cool mountain air weaving its magic all around us.

This is a place for long walks, for a majestic sun at dusk and dawn, for chirping birds, for warm tea from little tea stalls on cold winter evenings.

And most of all for Anu aunty, for Ajit uncle, for Usman bhai, for Bobby and the other guys who make this place the warmest place for a winter holiday.

This a place where nostalgia comes alive and lives among us...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Peter_Ferrao

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and me had our second honeymoon in Mussorrie.. Visited this place for the first time ever. The expectations were exceeded by The Carlton's family. Its not only the place, also the people have overwhelmed us. I didnt feel as if i am staying at a hotel .. It was like a second home for us and the owners (Mr. Ajit Singh and Mrs. Anu Singh), as our family. Carlton's rooms, takes you back over a 100 years. The ambience and everything that it holds, made us feel as if we are living in 19th century. Its holds a storming history and prestige.

We also visited the resort of Carlton’s, situated in Rajaji Wildlife Sanctuary. Peace and serenity overflows here.. Far away from the hustle of the city… Most appreciated was the food made on fire. Lovely place.. wonderful place to serve you.

I thank Mr. and Mrs. Singh for your auspicious time and attention. Thank you for parenting us. Thank you for being there always and making our trip a most memorable one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank clare_ferrao
Holland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had a fantastic stay. Take in the marvellous history and ambience of this place. The daughter of the Nawab of Oudh lived here. This is dining with history. Sitting in the dining room you cannot but be impressed when you absorb the history of the building. Build in the late 1800s. Since 1930 a hotel it still has the feel of days gone by. And above all the heartwarming and personal attention of Mrs. and. Mr. Singh. Home away from home. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RienBout
anuajit, Owner at Carltons Plaisance, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
It is very touching when one of our guests gives such aristide review.we feel the efforts we put is worth the while.thank you once again for the gift that you gave us.waiting for your next visit.happiness always.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I really enjoyed the 5 peaceful days I spent at the Plaisance, a lovely family run hotel with old world charm. The proprietors and their staff were so accommodating and made me feel at home. The lovely garden and surrounding area was so peaceful and I enjoyed spending time there. The best thing to do was hike up to the small Hindu temple atop the hill behind the hotel at sunrise--such a glorious experience. Also not too far was the Buddhist temple in Happy Valley where most Tibetans of the area reside. It's a lovely walk at the end of the day to see the beautiful sunsets. When my road again takes me up to Mussoorie, I will definitely be staying at Plaisance.

Room Tip: I had a room off the garden which was quiet and nice. THe rooms upstairs are beautiful and get nice...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TCAT3
anuajit, Owner at Carltons Plaisance, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you ever so much for your review. For liking everything about Carlton Plaisance, and the places around.
All the best, God bless.
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is far away from the madness of Mussorrie and is beautiful and tranquil we loved our stay there and the owner Anu made us feel so much at home. Also loved the fact that we stayed in the main building so it was like living in someones house.

Room Tip: Choose the suite in the main section of the building
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is one of finest places i have been to ,the place has a nice feel about it. The vintage style and royal architecture makes the place even better. Since my childhood i have been here so many times and it never stops to amaze me with its beauty. The staff people are really caring with nice service . The temple above the hotel is also really nice . The garden is too beautiful golden in summers and snow white in the winters . I remember each and every place of the hotel and it makes me smile .

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground level are really nice as they face the garden
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Aditya0909
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Absolutely gorgeous building. However the impression one gets it that the owners have decided get as much money out of it ,and have absolutely no interested in running it. My views

1. Poor upkeep and maintenance: Peeling paint, insects, open naked wires are some examples. The bed linen was bad, the sofas were stained with food, the carpet was threadbare in the room.

2. The service: They have around 7 people who do everything from cook the food to clean the room. No property manager seem to be around, The fabled personal touch( which has been talked of in the reviews) was not present, The only time I saw Ms Anu Singh was was 2 minutes , and all she wanted was a good tripadvisor review. It took ages to get anything done.

3. The Food. Terrible to taste. Overpriced( a watery panner palak for 210). They dont have a cook it seems, The same guys cleaning the rooms seem to be making the food,...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank IndianNike
anuajit, Owner at Carltons Plaisance, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear IndianNike,
Thank you for your review.
We will use it to better ourselves.

As you may have noticed that the Carlton Plaisance is a heritage hotel and a building so old needs constant maintenance and repairs to keep it grand. I am sorry that you got the impression that the property was not been looked after. We give out only 9 rooms in the spacious property as we don't want to ruin the beauty of the building.

The time you stayed with us, we had just undergone a heavy spell of rains and as a result of the moisture, it is possible that there could be places where the paint swells and appears to be breaking, but this is repaired every year as a routine.

We have a 5 acre property, the largest flat land in Mussorie and with so many trees and foliage, you are bound to see insects, in addition to butterflies, and birds.

Our linen is one of the best offered in Mussorie and it is washed and air dried every 3 days, whether a room is occupied or not. The sofas are regularly cleaned, vaccumed and sunned to avoid any smells, stains and to check for tears whatsoever.

Carpets in the rooms are again taken care of and are expensive carpets that we change every 5 years, I do not know how you thought them to be threadbare. These are wall to wall carpets, with throw rugs to prevent the carpet from getting soiled with dirty shoes, during rainy season, which is when you visited us.

We are a boutique hotel and run on a smaller staff team as compared to a 5 star and that is one of the primary reason we are visited by all kinds of guests, from college students to honeymooners to foreigners.

Our staff is efficient and takes care of every need of our guests, and the staff when asked for something by the guest, try and provide the same. I suppose their earnestness of helping make your stay comfortable, you thought to be mismanaged staff.

I, Anu Singh, remember having a chat with you and your wife during your stay to ask you if you if you were comfortable and well looked after. We try and give our guests their privacy and space, while on vacation and so talk only minimal, giving them more time to themselves, something that is a luxury in todays world.

We are known for our food and people from as far as Dehradun come over to Plaisance, just to have a good meal. I don't know why you felt the food was not good. Our prices are clearly mentioned on our menus and every guest knows what they are ordering and how much for. How can a hotel run without a cook, its like saying we are flying a plane without a pilot!