“A home away from home”
Review of La Villa Bethany

La Villa Bethany
Ranked #1 of 99 Mussoorie B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've actually not been wanting to write this review. It's like writing a review of your home inviting strangers to take over your bedroom.

I'd heard of La Villa Bethany over the past few years. It's been the urban legend in my office because Amarjeet Kudle was a corporate colleague who left to start his own place in the hills. And when I actually wanted to get away from Delhi, ex-colleagues urged me to come here. The funny part is, I only got to meet Amarjeet (ex-Oberoi and a corporate trainer by day) on day 6 of my trip. Sunita Kudle, the Inn Keeper (ex-ITC and ex-personal valet to the PM during her stint in ITDC), picked up my call, assured me that they enjoyed single, nit picky, women travelers and quickly became my new best friend. She told me what train to catch, sent a sensible guy to the station to collect me, served me amazing meals that she personally cooked as per preferences, found a room for me for an extra night as well as a great pair of shoes (I'll probably receive them at the end of the month), kept conversations going between folks from Australia, America, Russia and India, gave me plenty of books and stories about the hills, and I kinda adopted the family by the end of it.

Now, to the place. It's heartstoppingly gorgeous...except for the climb up the driveway to the road which will also really get your heart racing. It's wonderfully clean (which is really important to me) and it has all kinds of personal touches in each room. It's meant for long-stay folks here for their language studies so it has common areas like the conservatory and breakfast and dinner where people meet and it's extremely friendly. I would have been happiest not bothering to leave the property at all but since it's a bed and breakfast and not a hotel, I felt it behooved me to step out once in a while. But Sunita even told me where to order a cheap lunch on the one day I really didn't want to go anywhere. I shifted two rooms so I know my hands down favorite room and funnily enough, it's not the one everyone on TripAdvisor has raved about (I think I was specially moved to the other one to try their best room and I missed my old room something terrible), so I guess the rooms depend on personal preferences.

It's also got a lot of history which is fascinating; and once you've got over the climb, it's a really easy walk to Landour Language School, Lal Tibba, Char Dukaan, Prakash Stores and Rokeby Manor - which served better coffee (the speciality here is the ginger, honey and lemon tea), but I'm not sure I would want to stay there. And Sunita and Amarjeet are involved in a lot of CSR work and agricultural R&D, which is really interesting.

What they need to do something about is the smell from the dog kennels, which wasn't nice but only really problematic on the walk down. But, the view from here is something amazing. If it hadn't got too cold for comfort, I really didn't want to come down.

Room Tip: I preferred rooms in the main building, which are meant for the long stays, but then, looking at the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Sunitakudle, Owner at La Villa Bethany, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Ritika,

Thank you for taking out the time to write such a lovely review. It is this encouragement that keeps us going. We started LVB with the thought of making it a getaway for stressed out professionals, a place they could rejuvenate in and spend time with both their own thoughts and their loved ones. I am glad that you felt the same.

Thank you also for pointing out about Pongo and Perdi's kennel. I do admit that it got neglected and will take care of it in future.

Look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

La Villa Bethany was the perfect getaway for the family. Clean, comfortable rooms, fantastic food, and above all outstanding hosts. Sunita and Amarjeet made us feel right at home from the first minute. Felt we had been to Bethany many times before. The surroundings are really serene, with fresh mountain air. Great value for money as well. Would really recommend it.

Room Tip: New Log Cabin
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Sunitakudle, Owner at La Villa Bethany, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Sandeep & Divya,

Thank you for choosing us to spend precious moments of your family time with. Being professionals ourselves, we do understand how rare and important these moments are.

We look forward to welcoming you into our Home once again and yes this time it will be the Log Cabin for you!!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

La Villa Bethany was the first place I stayed when I came to India, and never found anything was wonderful afterwards. The rooms were big, clean, had wi-fi, but more importantly, it was a home. We were invited to family dinner every night, I played with the owner's daughter often, read books from the bookshelves, and really felt like part of the family. I could not recommend La Villa Bethany any higher!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking out the time to write a review for your "Home". There can't be a bigger delight for us then when someone who is new to India feels right at "Home" here.

We can't wait to welcome you Home again!

Warm regards

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Thanks to a friend's recommendation we chanced upon this quaint home stay. We were made very welcome and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. It was like a home away from home. The kids are planning to go back again in December to stay in the new log hut they are making. The hosts Amarjeet and Sunita with their precocious little daughter and Nani seemed like long lost friends. Landour is probably the cleanest hill station we have ever seen. 'Char Dukan' was delightful and the sneak peak at the snow capped ranges from 'Laal Tila' was fun! Happy to recommend the B&B to all our friends. All the best.

Room Tip: The whole community is oriented towards maintaining the eco-balance at Landour so don't expect g...

Dear Vasu,

It was wonderful to have you and the family spend time with us. In all our eco endeavors we are encourage and inspired to do more when we get a response such as yours! Thank you once again.

We look forward to welcoming you and the boys back home and yes, this time in the Log Cabin!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

It is a very lovely property......the best part of the homestay is everybody from different nationalities can interact with each other.....We stayed in a lovely suite called Everest suite.......It was an awsome stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Rohan,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us. We always take feedback from our guests and it was one such suggestion which has turned out to be a big highlight at LVB. All guests, irrespective of nationalities and backgrounds, sit together and break bread like one family. This not only makes the dinner conversations that much more lively but it gives us great thrill to see the bonds that are formed on our table!

Thank you for appreciating this and we look forward to welcoming you home soon!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Sometimes you stumble upon a place so beautiful, so hospitable & so amazing, it takes your breath away. That is exactly what Villa Bethany and Landour overall are about.
This property is hidden away & for a very good reason...it is far from the madding crowds & makes for a wonderful getaway. The hosts Amarjeet, Sunita, Shrushti (their lovely 6 year old daughter) and Naniji have combined homely hospitality with modern amenities to achieve a perfect balance. Our 4 year old daughter had the most wonderful time with Shrushti in the playarea which included swings & a slide, painted a birdhouse thoughtfully made for her by Amarjeet & wolfed down the "khichdi" made for her by Sunita on the night she was ill.
The rooms are cozy, clean & well maintained. The views are to die for. Hearty English breakfasts made for a perfect start and delicious (optional) dinners completed what was the best holiday we have experienced as a family.
Another plus for us was the interesting company we shared at our meals - everyone sits together to enjoy the food & exchange their experiences. The Landour Language School is located just opposite the Villa Bethany entrance & is ideal for long stay students of this school.
There is also a well stocked library with free wifi access for those that would like to stay "connected". This is an eco-friendly property that uses solar heated water, locally grown/sourced organic produce, employs staff from the local community & gives back to them in so many ways (check out the handcrafted quilts, cushion covers, soaps, etc. in your room).
For someone experiencing their first B&B in India, LVB sets the bar extremely high!

Room Tip: The Bedell & Shaw suites are spacious & have the best views.
1  Thank dxbpinto

Dear Praveen,

Thank you for taking out the time to write such a fantastic review. It is not us but people like you, Malini and Savannah who come and make LVB their Home and make it Lovely, Vibrant and Beautiful! I can't thank God enough for his blessings!!

The birdhouse painted by Savannah now has a pride of place in the tree near the reception where she always played with Shrushti.

We now look forward to welcoming you Home again with the rest of the family, take care and God Bless!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Several times we have wanted to stay here, but it never worked out. We FINALLY got a room and we couldn't be more pleased. This place is flawless. Incredible view. Extremely clean. Caters very well to Westerners. Beautiful decor. Awesome service. And, you feel like you are part of the family. We have stayed or visited at just about every place up on the mountain, and there really isn't any place that competes with LaVilla Bethany. Also, if you have kids, it is extremely kid friendly. They have a reading room for kids. Sometimes there are crafts. There is a play area. And there are usually other friends close by. The free breakfast is more than you can eat and very good. My family also loved the dinner! Only complaint is that we only stayed 2 nights.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Call the owners and they will do a good job finding what is best for you.

Dear Jason,

Thank you for taking out the time to leave such a great review! I am glad that all three generations of your family enjoyed here.

We now look forward to welcoming you Home soon!