“Home Away From Home, Outstanding !!!”
Review of Ilbert Manor

Ilbert Manor
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Mussoorie
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hi Friends,

We stayed at this place for 3 nights in Oct '12 and expectedly had a wonderful experience. It did not seem like a typical hotel but a home away from home. The pros and cons below :

Pros

1) Service Staff - Always on their toes, ever ready to help, dedicated
2) Hotel location - Just off mall road and still in a very quiet location with great valley views
3) The Room sizes were quite large. Bathrooms are larger in some rooms. Olden style but all modern amenities available
4) Brillant Food
5) Free shuttle to mall road - Very useful. Available through the day
6) Preset room heaters - Was a Must and it made the stay comfortable
7) Lovely view from the rooms. Ice capped mountains visible on a clear day. Loved the peaceful environment

Cons

1) Some people might not like this set-up as it does not give you a "Hotel feel".
2) Not much activities apart from the pool table/library
3) A little pricy given that similar category hotels are quite reasonable

I must highlight the services of Mr.Pyare Singh. Treated us like family members. Has a "Yes" to everything. One of the reasons behind the popularity/success of this hotel.
You have to stay here if in mussorrie.

Happy Travelling,
Gautam

Tip of the Review :

1) Dont miss a meal at Chick Chocolate on mall road (Picture palace end)
2) A long evening walk down Camel's back Road is a must. Nature at its best.

Room Tip: Its a unique hotel as it seems no two rooms are the same. I stayed at Fanny Parks (205) initially wh...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GudduKolkata
Ilbert M, General Manager at Ilbert Manor, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Ilbert Manor Mussoorie. First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay and giving us your honest feedback. We are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday at the Ilbert Manor. It will be our pleasure to continue providing you with our personalized services in the future.

There are newer reviews for Ilbert Manor

Reviewed October 2, 2012

bad things first 1. no swimming pool 2. no parking 3. no bar , except these 3 (not a big issue ) things the hotel rocks
amazingly restored , on the mall but complete silence , provide free shuttle for your parking issues , amazing staff (to fail even jaypee, the best hotel there) namely mr pyare singh and the manager there , u have all the 5 str facilities , u have pool , all recreational activities , bon fire to die for , rooms that make u stay for long mainly the colonial suite if u are a group of youngsters ,amazing view in night and then in the morning , 180 degrees panaroma , amazing view , amazing food and dont miss there chicken tikka ,u can take ur beers , ur hookah , ur poker set and just have a blast

Room Tip: take colonial suites and the rooms on first floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Ilbert M, General Manager at Ilbert Manor, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Reviewed September 9, 2012

As the other reviewers have noted, this is a wonderful place. Nicely restored, clean, well-located, with an outstanding staff. I used the meal plan and the food is really wonderful. It is a hike up to town but they have a good shuttle service that is always ready. Two notes: 1) Most of these reviewers are from India. But if you have to do this in English, it can hard occasionally but not impossible. The staff try really hard to understand. If you're stuck, ask for the operations mgr. He's fluent and a great help. 2) Ask for a room at the far north end of the hall on the second floor facing the mountains. Avoid 201 (my rm) as it is over the guard house and you'll hear him and the cars on the outside road a lot. I liked Mussoorie a lot. I came for a weekend break from work in Delhi. Walk the Camel Back road every morning after breakfast and skip the kitsch on Mall Road. Stop at the overlook with tiny cafe half way along. Sit and sip coffee, become friends with the couple who own it and look north at the Himalayas. They'll bring out a map and interpret everything to you. They are the best.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Ilbert M, Manager at Ilbert Manor, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is one of the fine heritage hotels in Mussoorie. Staff were very polite and courteous. Approach to the hotel is a bit kind of crazy but other than that everything was perfect. The view from the corner room (don't remember the room number) was awesome...Highly recommended hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
IlbertManor, Manager at Ilbert Manor, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Let me just start off by saying, I really miss the place now that I'm back home. I stayed at the hotel for a total of 4 days and 3 nights with some mates. The service was superb, I enjoyed the food a lot, the chilli chicken will definitely make me go back at least once before I die. The food is not just tasty they have a special healthy-food scenario to their food which was something new but enjoyable at the same time. Apart from the fact that the staff tried their best to fulfil all my requirements and be as hospitable as possible, I got my moneys worth and could perhaps personally guarantee that there is no other hotel quite like it in its vicinity. To all those bookworms out there unlike me, did I mention the Library that the hotel also has, one can always do a little bit of reading whilst relaxing in such a cool place like mussoorie. I would advise anyone travelling there to not even try and search for another hotel. One would not only relax and enjoy the entire atmosphere created by the staff and the place itself, but you will understand why I had such a nice time. If I visit Mussoorie again, hands down I will stay at Ilbert Manor. I would also like to thank everybody, the staff and the very well spoken and understanding manager, at the ilbert Manor hotel for making my stay comfortable, 'I was snug as a bug in a rug' :D. Nothings perfect therefore, the only problem that I had was that I wasnt allowed to smoke inside the rooms, but you can do it on the terrace while staring straight into the valley which was way more amazing then smoking inside my room. this review is getting long so people looking to go to Mussoorie, get booking u wont regret it :D

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
IlbertManor, Manager at Ilbert Manor, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Visited the place this weekend with a few of my friends and had an amazing stay there. The service, ambience or food quality, u name it and they were up to the mark. With the weather of mussoorie ilbert manor made my stay very comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've been staying for 4 days at the illbert manor. The stay was really nice and so is the staff,
Upon arriving I found myself in a valley of smiles from the very first person I met, the manager. She explained everything I had available and gave me a cable for internet access and the password to use the service very quickly.
Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also spacious and very clean. The shower seems to b quite big
The bed was one thing that if I could take it home, I would have done. Hard in the right places and comfortable....
Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs,and I found the best around.The puri Chana also were fantastic. With each breakfast I became more spoiled.

On the Wednesday of the week, when I was in the hotel was a Champions League match. I saw it in the hotel (although I could see it free in the room, I preferred to see it in company). With the sport package and seeker free movies offered by the hotel, you can pretty much stay in the room all day without getting bored, unfortunately I was there for work.
These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business