“Home to the Most Glorious Dish in the World”
Review of Amitash

Amitash
Ranked #35 of 81 Restaurants in Mussoorie
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Mussoorie, India
“Home to the Most Glorious Dish in the World”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Rice Bowl has been my favourite restaurant since I was nine years old, and is home to the best dish in the world- The Baikrapao, a wholesome meal, with flavours to satisfy hungry school kids all the way to old women. It is a dish that I can eat everyday for the rest of my life and not get tired of it. Along with baikrapao, their signature dishes are shaptak with tingmo, thukpa, momos and other equally wonderful Tibetan and Chinese dishes. Rice Bowl was a luxury for the thousands of kids who have attended boarding school in Mussoorie. No weekend passed without a call for a Rice Bowl delivery, where actually, I called so often, that it was answered with my name. Even just walking in the bazaar, there is nothing as fulfilling as stepping into Rice Bowl, always bustling with regulars, being greeted by their friendly staff who guarantee a comforting and delicious meal. 90% of the temptation to return to Mussoorie is the craving of Rice Bowl food, a major reason of my homesickness for the hills.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank tanyagarg15

Istanbul, Turkey
“Deja Vu, have been Amitash Rice Bowl for now 31 years. Could not find anything better than Rice Bowl for Momos”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our trip to Mussoorie is incomplete without going to Rice Bowl.
The Momos and the Thupkas has taste as awesome as it did in 1982.
Highly recommended.
people who have not got chance to visit Amitash Ricebowl, they are really missing some good Stuff !!!!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Lausos
London
“Its the best restaurant in Mussoorie!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The cuisine here simply comes from the "roof of the world".... One of the few places where you can still get an authentic taste of Tibet. The ambience is unassuming and yet has its unique character. The owner Yankeela, runs the place like her home and her staff know what the customers have grown to expect.... Everytime I go to Mussoorie, this place is right on top of my list! In a town famous for its boarding schools, this restaurant has a special place in the hearts of everyone who has ever lived in Mussoorie. As far as I am concerned, they could charge whatever they want for those Momo's... Everything on the Menu is worth a try!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank SamSinghLondon
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“More Than Just Food...Nostaliga”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

As a boarder in Mussoorie I thrived on the Momo's and Thupka at Amitash. On a recent work trip to Mussoorie I sat alone at the table I sat 25 years ago, watching the world go by as I ordered my staple and ate in silence, thinking so much of the world including myself have changed...yet the taste of the Momo's,Thukpa and the chilly sauce were exactly the same as I remembered it. Thank you for the memories Amitash.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank 694U
Pune, Maharashtra, India
“Heavenly food...”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family, along with my sister and niece visited Mussourie / Landour in summer 2012. We did eat at a couple of places in Mall Road but the experience was not great. We did notice 'The Rice Bowl' but it was on the first floor and looked like a small eatery from outside.

But on the last day, we decided to walk in after reading some good reviews on the net. Looking at the review, we expected that to be an exclusive, expensive place.

But real surprise welcomed us. Small and cozy place. Very clean interiors. Polite staff. And the Menu... very unique and special. We ordered mainly non-vegetarian in Chicken and Mutton. All the dishes are just out of the world. Just wondered how they managed to make it.

We chatted with the staff to find out who runs it. He pointed us to this smart, young woman sitting on a desk near the kitchen. We decided to tell her about the good food and walked it... The owner is Ms. Yankee (that's how people call her), daughter of Tibetan parents. She runs the show single-handed. And she sits near the kitchen to ensure that the food which comes out is of great quality.

Anybody visiting Mussourie should visit this place on day 1 itself. Otherwise you will be regretting like us... who decided to be there on the last day.

Wish her and the place all the very best

Forgot to mention... The total bill for 6 people were a little over Rs. 1000. That was too much value for money. And Ms Yankee said in typical Buddhist way... 'I do not need a lot of money... but enough'. 'Enough' is something we all are struggling to decide.

• Visited May 2012