“Better places abound.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mussoorie
GMVN Garhwal Terrace
Ranked #36 of 104 Mussoorie B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Over the years, I have stayed in quite a number of government-run hotels in the mountains. Particularly those run by KMVN and GMVN. They were always great places for a college-kid given their low prices and fantastic locations. Then, a few years back, they raised their prices. I am past that college age, and I can afford a bit more than I used to. Naturally, I also expect a better experince. Sadly, for the price I paid for the Garhwal Terrace, I have returned disappointed. Horribly disappointed. To begin with, the price quoted on their website is exclusive of taxes. So you have to pay that at the counter, in cash. To be fair, they mention that when you are booking. And when I realised how much I would have to pay in all, I knew it was more than what I’d have to pay for the very popular Padmini Niwas Hotel (sadly booked to the brim). And it was almost twice what I paid 5 months ago for the Mussoorie Gateway Resort in April 2012 (but too far from the Mall Road).

It seems the prices have risen, and quality has crashed. I took the Deluxe Room that looked it had been stripped of its furnishings (and a few light fixtures; they had provided towels though, with a few holes). Not to mention that the room itself was right next to the car park - not just this room; all deluxe rooms are on the lowest floor next to the car park. It’s pretty annoying to have people peep in when you’re trying to take a nap, and they don’t reply when you wish them ‘Good Morning’. The hallway was unequally lighted, because quite a few tubelights weren’t working. It reminded me of one of those mental asylums I’ve seen in the movies - long, strangely lit, snaking, corridors with locked doors and a constant sound of water dripping somewhere inside.

Bed tea and breakfast was included in the price. Which meant there was no tea/coffee maker in the room. (I paid Rs. 1100.00 - per day - at Mussoorie Gateway Resort, and they had a tea/coffee maker in the room, which smelled strongly of burnt milk, and had to be replaced.) I ordered egg curry with rice for lunch at their rather delightful and spacious restaurant. I get double the rice at the same price in Delhi; and I don’t get plastic wrappers in the egg curry, ever. And never order the poorie-sabzi for breakfast unless you like your boiled potatoes floating in a watery gravy of red-chillies. (And a tawa roti for Rs. 10.00!)

The people at the desk however are nice. Really nice, and helpful. I have never been to a government-run hotel and come across grumpy receptionists, waiters, or attendents. And they are the sole redeeming feature of these establishments. They are locals, and know the places (and especially the distances) of interest, and can advise you properly.

Sadly though, even with such great people at the deak, and an amazing location, the Garhwal Terrace falls far short of the current standard set by private hotels at its price point. It is not cheap, not for the average middle class. And they have better options to choose from. I have always believed that hotel rooms are only places we got at night to sleep in, but it should not be one you don’t want to go back to at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Sayanhya_Roy

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This July, 2012 I stayed at Garhwal Terrace for 4 days with my family. For all practical purposes, the location was good, food average, service all right and price moderate. Overall it is good at a moderate price.

Yes, those who are looking for value for their money, the Garhwal Terrace will not let you down.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sukhindu
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The hotel location is excellent.....we simply loved the garden overlooking the Doon Valley. The rooms are spacious but is not well maintained. The quality of food available is good but they take the last order only up to 10 pm. Overall, apart from the location, the hotel is average.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tapadar
Reviewed January 3, 2012

It's one of the best located property of Mussoorie, very spacious rooms and good food! reasonable priced and good room service. I stayed there in off season this year but, overall a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms (from other side) got good views and lobby space!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anish01
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Stay dates: 09 May 2011 to 12 May 2011

The booking was done from their online website (www.gmvnl.com). It was not smooth as payment failed many times.

As we arrived at Mussoorie, we had the first shock that our rented vehicle from New Delhi cannot enter the road on which the hotel is located. Initially, we felt it bad and used coolies to transport our luggage and went in rickshaw. Later, we realized that it was a nice rule made to avoid traffic in Mall Road. Be prepared for this situation when you go to Mussoorie in a rented vehicle.

The hotel is very conveniently located in Mall Road, which is the heart of Mussoorie. But, there are many many hotels in the same location and hence this is no different. The rooms need some overhaul as they have now become a bit old. Maintenance is clearly lacking and shows as a Government Hotel. In that sense, it is not value for money at all. Food is average and rates are also on higher side. But, this is the same trend in whole of Mussoorie.

The hotel arranges daily sightseeing trips to nearby places and I would recommend to try those organised daily tours. Overall, the theme for the trip has to be lot of relaxing and bit of sight seeing.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank srisetty
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I would give marks to this hotel only for its very good location. The hotel is situated right on the mall road and the view it provides from the back is excellent of the lights of Dehradun city in the evening. It has a good restaurant but like most government-owned places, service is not up to the mark. The room we were provided was also down in the lower floor and was bit damp. But overall an okay experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

4) Hotel staff was helpful
5) Safe hotel

Negatives:
1) Taxi service rates seemed high

I would definately recommend this hotel for budget travellers.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple