“What are the choices?”
Review of Hotel Ideal Tower

Hotel Ideal Tower
Ranked #61 of 87 Hotels in Varanasi
Reviewed September 17, 2011

As i didnt want to stay down by the river in a cheaper dive nor did I have the dough to stay at at the 10000 rupees a night radisson we compromised and got the most expensive hotel thtat we havae stayed at in India for the last month. At 2300 rupees a night it was still 1/3 of what we pay at home but about 2x what we are used to paying in India. For this money we got a very nice room, (maybe an upgrade?) spacious, clean, two bathrooms, good air and tele, no complaints about the room. The staff were fine, restaurant as dear as you would expect for this type of joint, overall v.g.
A long way from the ganga to see the sights, but let's face it , you are going to take an auto rickshaw anyway so that doesn't really matter. Station closer but still an a.r. away. Quite happy overall.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peter d

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Good hotel only the water in the bathroom was not Hot during my entire stay.Had complained but no results.They apologised but did not supply Hot water.The restaurant is Good but Very Costly compared to Varanasi City.Overall hotel is good to stay with family.Staff is very cooperative including their GM.
shirish chitnis mumbai.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I'm going to make this a long review because I couldn't find a lot on Varanasi when I was planning my trip, so I hope to encompass some FAQs here...

I have to preface this by saying I'm working in Delhi temporarily staying at one of the nicest hotels in the city (not on my dime, thankfully), so I think that bias played into my perceptions of the Hotel Ideal Tower. First off, my trip to Varanasi came after two weeks in Delhi on my first trip to India, and Varanasi was my first trip outside Delhi...again, this is a source of some bias, as Varanasi is so unbelievably different from Delhi it's crazy. Delhi is like a peaceful oasis compared to Varanasi, so even a "nice" hotel in Varanasi seems like a downgrade. So what does this mean for the Hotel Ideal Tower...well, my room and the hotel itself were perfectly acceptable, but the amenities are rather sparse for what is supposed to be a hotel marketed as "four star luxury". Same with the neighborhood. The Mall Cantonment is supposedly the safe, quiet, part of the city, but depending on your frame of reference, this is not immediately apparent. This goes back to the comparisons between Delhi and Varanasi, I think. So while the hotel was perfectly fine, it doesn't feel "nice". So if you are looking for "nice", the Radisson next door may be the better bet, but it'll cost more. If you want some place clean and relatively inexpensive and don't have high expectations, Hotel Ideal Tower will serve you well. Okay, with the long-windedness out of the way, here's some more easily digestible bits:

Room: Large and clean. Two bottles of complimentary water in the room, but they're only refilled when the room is cleaned...I didn't try to request extra, but I assume they'll charge you if you do. My room actually had two bathrooms, a large living room area, and a sitting area with a table. One window looked out on a construction site, the other on the Varuna river. The room had that typical developing country large city pollution smell to it, but it wasn't overwhelming and didn't really bother me much.

Restaurant: Service was weak, but the prices were decent and they had a wide array of food choices. Everything seemed clean enough and I didn't get sick or anything. If you eat dinner early though, know that the menu is pretty limited until after 730pm. Complimentary bfast was fine...standard Western and Indian fare, but not much in the way of juices or fresh fruit. But hey, it was free, tasted fine, and didn't make me sick, so I was happy.

Location: Not good. I really wanted to stay by the ghats, but I had a hard time finding a decent hotel down there that was in my price range, so I compromised and stayed further away, but probably got a nicer room for my money. The trip down to the ghats is pretty brutal (both in distance, traffic, noise, and road severity) and you don't have much choice but to take a tuk-tuk...not that that's bad, but I imagine some cringe at the thought. **Aside: I actually found a great driver who served as an ad hoc tour guide rather than dropping me off or waiting for me. I actually was glad he did this (he would've waited had I asked, but I was traveling solo and he spoke English well, so he was good company)...walking through the back alleys with a local helped keep the touts at bay, I think and made the wandering a bit less stressful, and he helped give me a local's insight into all the sights and sounds.** The one benefit of the location is that it puts you a bit closer to the airport, which is a painful enough journey as it is, so shaving 20 minutes off the trip in each direction, as opposed to staying at the ghats, has some appeal. And if you really just can't live without full-on Western food, there is a Pizza Hut and McD's just down the road.

Service: What service? Well, that's not quite fair, but again, "four star" service is relative. When I arrived at the reception desk and said I was checking in, they looked as if I had walked into a mattress store looking to get a bed for the night...very confused. But eventually they found my reservation and all was well. If there was a concierge, I didn't see the desk, and there was no local/tourist information packet or anything in the room...not really a big deal, but it'd be nice of them to at least put out a map or something. Other than that, there wasn't much in the way of interaction with the staff, which was fine by me...again, just giving folks an idea of what to expect.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Marc M
Reviewed July 27, 2011

In a congested place like Varanasi,there are very few locations & hotels which give you a feel of serenity & peace. Hotel Ideal Tower, however is different.It is away from the din & bustle but located within the city.Be it for business or pleasure this hotel gives you the feeling of total comfort,not only in amenities but also attractive rates which really does not pinch your pocket.

Room Tip: If you can,stay in the superior rooms with a seperate sitting area & a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2011

After a long trip from Delhi, it felt good to be welcomed by the friendly staff of the Hotel who were friendly and co operating through out our stay at the Hotel.
The rooms had everything that was needed and the level of cleanliness was beyond expectation. Also had fun taking a splurge in the pool after a long day of tiring seeing around was also very refreshing.
Well the food was tasty in general and the Pasta was simply delicious, I advice everyone visiting there to try it out.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Really great location. Located in the best part of town. I loved the Kerela Massage there. Go to the pool and then get a massage. The staff was very nice to help us in planning our trip into town. Would definitely come back here.

Great way to spend days off from work.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 29, 2011

IDEAL TOWER for arranging my travel and stay in varanasi. Being a foodie Myself i tasted one of the very delicious chinese and awesome pasta at "RED CHILLI".

I loved your rooms , its very hard to find spacious rooms these days,stay with u people was full value for money...
Thank you so much ....