“Best view”

Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Chandigarh, India
“Best view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

My overall experience of the hotel is good. The person on the checking desk Sanjay was very helpful. He provided me with the best view room and we had a deal about the whole arrangement. The food was ok but expensive. But to find the hotel was a big task. They should put more signs on the main road as its pretty far from the main street but very near to the ghat rather its on the ghat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked into aircorn and was not given one until I complained.
Beware of the tours. They promise a price and upon completion a tip for the driver and the tour guide is demanded which I refused to pay. The aircorn tripped in 40 degree weather, the toilets did`nt flush. Not the cleanest of places. If you need a beer, its charged 4x the normal rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Adi298184

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you stay in Palace on steps (which isn't a real name of the hotel) being in a room with Ganga view is a must. The rooms we've been in were refurbished and acceptable. The hotel offered us a boat tour and and a guide who made our Varanasi experience excellent. At firs we thought that we'll pay much more for their help, but it turned out that they didn't rip us off. I didn't like that the wifi didn't work outside my room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Calcutta, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Came back from Varanasi yesterday and stayed in Palace on Steps for a couple of stays. The location and property is very very good with an equally horrible service and nasty behviour. Some oversmart UP Guys probably the biggest crooks I have ever seen, run the place (no idea who the owner is). We had booked standard rooms and once reaching there wanted to upgrade to a ganga view room. They gave us a rate (which was verbal and not matching the tarriff card) which suited us, but while checking out we were told that we would have to pay that agreed rate on top of our standard room payment and not a differential rate for upgradation. When argued we hear that travellers from Kolkata are troublemakers ! Though I have given my piece of mind, would recommend not to stay in a place where you do not know what trap you would get into. Sevice is very ordinary and food is very average. We go for a holiday to unwind and not to come back with a nasty experience.

Room Tip: Ganga View rooms are advisable. But they can charge any rate as per their wishes. So be very very ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

BEWARE !!!"The Palace on the Steps" doesn't actually exist it's the website name for a group of 3 atrocious guesthouses.This place has to be the worst hotel I have ever been conned into booking, It's absolutely disgusting ( and Iv'e seen a few) I thought the other reviewers must be fussy first time tourists, as some of the reviews were quite good." Palace on the Steps" !!!!...... [--] a [--].... nothing further from a Palace could possibly be imagined. My room with a view was barely larger than the bed, There was nowhere to put anything except on the floor.The bathroom was a small cupboard, perhaps I was meant to sit on the toilet to have my shower? The blind fell off when I touched it and the windows wouldn't lock. This couldn't be the "de luxe double" that I had booked for $60.00 ? ( It was worth about $15.00. ) Yes it could........ it's amazing what a wide angle lens can achieve.....However It did conform to the advertising blurb and had a fan, air con, and a flat screen TV on the wall ( there was nowhere else to possibly put it.) and the bathroom was new and everything was freshly plastered and painted, but this still didn't mask the fetid odour of rank mould. Oh well it was too late to change it that night and it did have the view. Of course..... there was no other room available.

So off I went to check out the Ghats with a warning ringing in my ears of "Be careful madam there are some very bad people out there, do you want a guide?" To get to the Ghats I had to go down many STEEP steps, and around a corner all through a dark tunnel........ on the way back at night this was PITCH BLACK and I couldn't see a damn thing so I had to crawl on hands and knees to negotiate the steps and the twists and turns..
The next morning 7.30am I found a REAL Palace, "Would they ring my hotel and make sure it will be OK for me to move. I don't want any dramas on my return.?" No that will be OK ......so off I go back down the ganges in a rowing boat to collect my bags and move.Or so I thought.....when I get back they deny any knowledge of a phone call and of course I can't just leave, I have booked for two nights and I must pay for them. Fortunately there were so many managers and sub managers (for the three properties) that I just gave one of them a nights money, got the boatman to grab my bags and just walked out amid the confusion.

I am in the boat about to take off when they all come charging down to the waters edge and start demanding that I get out of the boat, threatening to charge my credit card double and calling me a wicked woman coming and cheating people in the holy city of Varanasi. So I am trying to keep calm but I accuse them of false advertising and charging tourists outrageously for terrible rooms and they should be ashamed of themselves.They even tried to get the boatman to turn me out saying I must walk with my bags myself... then i just lost it and threatened to call the police and told them they could charge me if they liked but I was leaving their disgusting hovel. With that my boatman rowed me away..... with Indians gaping all around us. My new "Palace on the Ganges" was fabulous. Moral: Always read and take note of the reviews.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SylviaScaglia
Silicorn Valley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friend had a good room for a few days but most of the guest houses associated with hotel are not high quality. Some have hot water; some don't. Beds are typically hard like most places in India. Had to ask for towels and linens. WiFi only works in main hotel lobby. Restaurant has a nice view and is agreeable. The steps down to the river are dark at night so take a flashlight. Very close to the nightly Aarti. Took a boat ride with young Raju to the other side of the river for a bath for 100 rupees. Negotiate for a good rate and don't be afraid to walk away. Hotel staff met my van to carry luggage to hotel. There is no taxi access. My friend had a wild motorcycle ride down the narrow alleys to hotel. The way is crowded with people, cows, dogs and manure.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a view room in the main hotel, not the guest houses.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This place has more names than there are Gods in Hinduism...Palace(sic) on the Steps,Hotel Elena,Ajays etc etc..it's the same place strung out through various alleyways and stairs.
So it has great views,but boy do you pay for it!..The Management/Owners have to be the biggest bunch of crooks in India but incompetent with it and haven't a clue what is going on around the place and are exploiting their staff by stealing their tips and generally abusing them..Fools,but dangerous fools....be careful if you have to stay here..
Two redeeming factors and shining lights are..Kaloo the dog.... and the best guide in Varanasi,Lalit Verma who is based here and will show you everything that needs to be seen.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends