we were there during the last weel of july2011, arriving there from gaya by a hired vehicle. there is no road to this hotel. so we had to wait at the nearest point as directed by the hotel person by phone. the road is so busy that police did not allow our vehicle to stay there until the hotel person - vicky showed up.
the rooms had an amazing view of the river ganga but it looked like they were just setting up their business then. the rooms had no geysers, no tv and no telephone. the hotel had no restaurant. the bathrooms had no foot rugs to wipe your feet off moisture as you come out of the bathroom. the lobby was shabby with the construction material. the route to the hotel from main roads is pathetic - littered with dung and thrash and walking on the rainy wet days was horrible. we had bath in cold water on both days we stayed there as there are no workers or helper boys attendeding to us when we want them to . in the name of snack, they brought us few slices of bread that made sandwitches just with a few pieces of tomato and cucumber which were not fresh and we were charged huge amounts for that.
positive aspect, apart from the beautiful view of the river (in fact it is like living right on the bank), was this hotel person, a charming vicky . he would come with us where ever we wanted to go and would not expose us to any outsider. he arranged morning darshan for us at 4 am and sent us in through some connections of his. ofcourse there were rip-offs every where - but i learn that is the name of the place - varanasi.
in our experience, but for this fantastic person vicky, rooms on the bank of the river, the hotel had nothing to offer - not even the basic minimums of whatever has to be called a lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Varanasi a mirror of ancient spiritual India and a destination swinging to the of India,s vibrant culture is a must visit for any traveler wishing to experience real India. To experience the real essence of Varanasi it is essential to discover and explore the ''old city' and the ghats the steps leading to the holy Ganges and the ghats the steps leading to holy Ganges. The hotel Palace on steps ,located at a prime location in the holy city, holds the distinction of having the maximum number of rooms offering an unparallelled view of the Ganges. Besides the hotel is a true balanced blend of luxury and comfort for the travelers ready to experience Varanasi in all its glory interestingly the hotel is designed aesthetically with a touch of true Indian history as showcased in the castle design which dates back about 400years. therefore the guest have an attraction of experiencing the splendor of medieval Indian architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Palace on Steps reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palace On Steps Hotel Varanasi
- Palace On Stepss Varanasi