Hotel Alka
$18
$33
TripAdvisor
1,283 results
All reviewsroyal viewthe rivermukesh sharmameer ghatthe hotel staffprivate balconyold citytrain stationhotel restaurantexcellent viewnarrow lanesspecial thanksairport pickbudget hotelfantastic locationhot waterboat ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2011

If you are visiting Varanasi, then I absolutely recommend Hotel Alka at Mir Ghat. Located in the very center of the city and the main stretch of the Ganges River, this hotel has one of the highest balconies protruding out over the river, and the rooms (AC or fan) are clean and very affordable. The hotel staff are very kind, and they go out of their way to be helpful in every possible way. This place is great for both relaxing and sharing stories with other travelers. I like it so much here that I've extended my stay from two days to over a week.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Trevor G
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My fiance and I stayed here during our three weeks in India. We had arranged pickup from the airport, which was super convenient, and we had no problems finding our driver. The hotel is nestled in the confusing laneways of Varanasi, off the main roard, so it would have been a bit difficult to find if not for the driver. The hotel itself was pretty good, although rooms were slightly dirty, but we've seen much worse. The restaurant had pretty good food and the rooftop patio was a great place to hang out and just watch the river go by! Unlike others, this hotel was great for meeting other travellers and we met some great people. Staff was pretty friendly too! Would recommend staying here and would stay here again if on a tight budget.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Trvlbug31
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here for one night and the only good thing is the view.

Upon arrival we had paid for an ac room but where given a fan only room. The man on reception refused to changed the room so I contacted our tour company. Later in the day they changed us to an ac room but where quite rude about it.

The room was terrible and reminded me of a prison especially the strange noises that went on all night long. The rooms are dirty and there are no sheets for the bed.

We spent over 2 weeks in India and this was the worst place we stayed.

Location is the only good thing about this hotel. Breakfast was okay.

Def spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lasagneAustralia
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and had a ball. We had the Private Balcony room with A/C. Hot running water all the time. Great Views of the Ganges from our room. The Tour guide from the hotel was great. Gave us tips on what to look out for around the place and how to keep safe. The only problem is that you have to negotiate the alleys and lane ways yourself to find the hotel. Autos and rickshores can't fit in the lanes, but everyone was very helpful and pointing us in the right direction to the hotel. The power would go out from time to time but that's India for you.

Room Tip: Ask for the Balcony A/C room if you have the money and book in advance very popular place
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank moonhopper
Reviewed August 17, 2011

coming to varanasi after my last visit in 1968!!!!!!!!! living now since then in south india we had friends from paris coming for a visit who wanted to see some of north india so I choose to see again in company of my wife and friends this city where I had such a time in my younger days in india. well the hotel alka that we choose by random and reserved was an excellent choice clean and comfortable the staff is super friendly and the atmosphere very family like a found the food excellent reommend this hotel to all people coming to varanasi we feel like coming back for sure and advise people and friends to come,pricewise and situation difficult to challenge patrick

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family