“Stayed there twice, and will again next time in Varanasi”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Haifa

Hotel Haifa
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Potsdam, New York
“Stayed there twice, and will again next time in Varanasi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

My family first saw this place on our first trip to Varanasi, and were thrilled to find Middle Eastern food! [That being said, my favorite thing that I've tried is actually the Kashmiri Kofta - their Indian food is great too. My only complaint food-wise is that it can take a while for the food to come, but it was the busy time].

We've now stayed there twice, and had a great experience each time! The first time, we had a little issue getting the TV to work, but the staff quickly came up and fixed it, much to my boys' relief!! :-) Actually, they fixed it faster than a lot of Western hotels would.

There's no extra charge for having food sent up to your room (and when I've reached to my pocket to get a little for a tip, the delivery guy was already down the hall! They have a Tip Jar behind the front desk, and [unlike most Indian hotels I've been in], people don't downright ask for a tip, standing awkwardly until you give one!! That being said, it's best if you DO leave tips...it seems people just leave them in the lobby).

The WiFi in the lobby is a nice extra bonus. :-)

And the price: I really can't complain at all for a room this good for as cheap as we got it for each time (and that's with just booking over the phone!).

So my family and I definitely recommend this place.

(a tip: the Turkish Coffee is REAL Turkish Coffee, so don't be surprised when half of your cup is grinds...it's supposed to be like that. You can also get "Espresso" or "Milk Coffee" for those not wanting the authentic Middle Eastern coffee experience) :-)

(Also, unlike some other hotels with similar rates, this one DOES provide soap and TP) :-) Also, there's a nice little shop directly across the street if you want chips, snacks, meds, more toiletries, etc)

Room Tip: The desk staff has been helpful with recommendations when we've checked in...they know tips like...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
audiopink
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Don't even think for a second the cover picture on TripAdvisor resembles the room you're gonna get. This is the first hotel in my life where I find a skid mark in the toilet upon arrival. It must have been there for above . Everything screams filth in this hotel, even for Indian standard: the lobby, the restaurant, the beds. This is the kind of hotel where you won't walk barefoot in your room.
I should also mention the staff are among the most unpleasant I met in india: haven't seen a smile in three days. Upon check in they tried to give me a room which looked like a 300inr guesthouse. Old, filthy and right on the street. I guess it's because I had prepaid through agoda. I asked for a better one and I did get a better one which is what this review is based on.
The only reason I'm giving it 2 stars as opposed to one is that the location is good and the restaurants food is OK. Other than that, I think you're better served with a nice guesthouse than with this low-end hotel.

• Stayed November 2013

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

it was a pleasant experience to stay here, staff was professional and helpful. Food was excellent too. service was up to the mark , they also have money change and transfer facility .they have travel desk to organize our trip to and sight seen in varanasi.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

The HOTEL HAIFA is very good hotel in the Holy city. This hotel is very good choice for many reason.This hotel price is very good value, 24 hour hot water,T V with all chanels , clean room, cxcellent location very short to the Ganga River, Kashi temple, Durga Temple,Monkey Temple and B H U., very good staff etc. The hotel has a very good restaurant.I stayed here 3 nights , all the staff were friendly and helpful.A happy experience in the heart of Varanasi.

Room Tip: A happy experience in the heart of Varanasi.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is a very good choice for many reasons. It is moderately priced, clean and an excellent location very short walk to Assi Ghat. It has a very good restaurant with very helpful staff. All the staff I dealt with were friendly and helpful. I stayed for a month and never had any problems at all. I have read a few bad reviews and can't understand what these people wanted. If you want to stay at the Hyatt Regency o.k. but for the money this is a great hotel. This is India not France. Any time I needed anything the staff were courteous and helpful. I stayed here 3 years ago and I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I booked this hotel through make my trip.com an Indian travel website. After booking I called up the hotel to ask for location. The moment the call was answered the staff was so unprofessional there was no greeting, initially I thought I dialed a wrong number but later on it was confirmed to me that it was a correct number. I told the manager that I will be visiting with my wife and he confirmed me that room was available. He also informed me that I should show him original marriage certificate and then only the room will be given to me. Initially I resisted this though later on i agreed. I did not like this demand by the hotel because the way I was asked to get the marriage certificate was very unprofessional and as guest I did not appreciate this. But as there were no hotels available and I had already paid through make my trip so I had to stick with this hotel.

The day when I was about to reach the hotel I got the call from the website that hotel has given my room to somebody else. It was shocking to me as I was about to reach Varanasi and it was like 8 pm and all the other hotels were mostly booked as it was a weeding season.

Though make my trip arranged an alternative but this was very unprofessional behavior shown by the hotel and I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaypreet
Klang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

it was very good hotel and a walking distance to Assi Ghat. It is very near to kashi Temple, Shopping and to BHU. Overall, the hotel and staff were very good , The manager of the hotel was very nice and he satisfied our demands infact he was very humble.Thank u sir!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family