“Good option near Assi Ghat”

Hotel Temple on Ganges
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good option near Assi Ghat”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This certainly is not a five-star property, but it is clean, comfortable, and conveniently located on the Assi Ghat. I stayed in a corner room on the top floor and enjoyed watching life on the Ganges from my balcony.

I didn't have any meals here, but I noticed lots of Indian guests enjoying theirs.

The wifi signal didn't reach my room, but did work in the lobby.

The bathroom in my room was the biggest shortcoming, as it was divided from the neighboring room's bathroom by only a wall with a one-foot gap near the ceiling. In other words, there was an open space at the top of one of the walls in the bathroom. That meant that I could hear all of the sounds that my neighbor made in his bathroom, and vice versa. What's worse, his cigarette smoke drifted through the hole, too. I'm not sure if all rooms have this wide gap at the top of the bathroom wall, but my room certainly did. At least no one could see through the space: it was too high up the wall.

Despite this lack of privacy, I would stay here again. It is a good value.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LingBKK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed February 26, 2013

When I come to Varanasi I like to go to Assi Ghat. It is the last Ghat and a relatively quite one. The hotel is at great location with a roof viewing the Ganga. They have a nice restaurant on the roof and the rooms were nice and pretty clean. I advise booking ahead since they can be full...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NitzanG
TORONTO
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Although I wasn't staying at the hotel I did come to eat breakfast everyday and dinner once or twice. We didn't like what our hotel offered and we could see this hotel from ours.

We approached the front desk and asked if we could eat at their roof top restaurant even though we weren't guests at the hotel and we were made to feel very welcome.

The food was very good and the staff are very friendly.

We did pop our heads into a couple of rooms on our way out of the hotel and the rooms were spotless, very clean and looked quite large,

I would recommend to stay here and if ever I'm back in Varanasi then this is where I would stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CanadianInukshuk
Longhope, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at Temple on Ganges for two nights in January 2013. The room was clean, as was the toilet, the room had a view of the river and overall quiet.

The manager was very helpful, polite - but yes - the wi fi was unreachable. Food indifferent - but then that is something you take on board when travelling. Varanasi has a variety of restaurants if that is your priority.

The location close to the river meant you could take a walk along the Ghats and see the life along the river.

Yes not many hotels in India have room heaters for their winters - but that was not critical as all you need is an extra layer of blanket.

Overall would stay there again if I go there.

Room Tip: upstairs room with verandah
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bonkim2003
australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Loved the location AND room had à balcony with afternoon sun which was Nice , Would go back , however internet connection not That great AND it had Some electricity issues but hey its India. Check out the ceremonie At 6.30 At Assi Ghat.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank ingetjeAustralia
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

When first arrived in Varanasi we stayed at a different hotel which we booked in advance because of all the warnings about touts and etc. We found this hotel on just 2 minutes away from our previous one (Hotel Ganesha). We came here about twice a day for the restaurant, which has the most lovely and friendly staff we dealt with in three weeks. They always come and have a chat with you, the food is great, and the rooftop view is beautiful. It's pretty quiet here so we decided to just come and stay here, The owner is very friendly and assured us that whatever question we had we could always ask him and he would see what he can do.
The room itself was spacious and we just had some nice clean linen put on right before we moved in.(which in previous hotels wasn't always the case). we paid 1000 rupees a night and had a very nice time here. Would definitely stay here again,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sfinoulst
Sceaux, France
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at Temple a few days until I could not stand it any longer and moved to an upper scale hotel! Maybe this was the wrong time of the year as it was during a cold wave and the blast of icy air through the room kept me awake all night, shivering despite having used all the blankets and kept a sweater on... I also fell stomac sick during my stay at the hotel, which may be completely unrelated with the hotel minimal comfort, but this did not help. The room can be consider clean, even though the toilet was constantly dripping and the floor permanently wet. The dampness was such that the clothes I had left to dry in the bathroom never dried! The website verges on the dishonest. The location is ok, but Palace on Ganges, just across the street, offers a superlative amount of comfort. Although I left two days in advance I could not get any refund on the money I had paid.

Room Tip: To get a good room, start with another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business