“Splendid hotel but avoid the travel desk”

Ramada Plaza JHV Varanasi
Ranked #8 of 79 Hotels in Varanasi
Singapore, Singapore
“Splendid hotel but avoid the travel desk”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best in Varanasi city, if one does not wish to stay at the Ganges river bank. It only take about 15mins to go to Ganges river by car.

The hotel is perfectly located just behind the mall with Macdonalds & Pizza Hut available. The staffs are very attentive & friendly. The rooms are spacious and big with much ample space to move about. The price is reasonable, judging that it boost about the same price as Radissons or Rivatas in the vicinity.

I had a very pleasant stay there, but would like to advice on booking tour trips with the travel desk in the lobby, operated by external tour company. They had charged me Rupees 3,500 for a morning boat ride at Ganges, where the same package only cost me Rupees 1,500 at other tour desk. Also, they charged me Rupees 1,100 for a saloon car, where the other tour desk charged me only Rupees 850 for a 7 seater MPV!

All in all, this Ramada Plaza hotel us highly recommended for stay at Varanasi, just remember to avoid the tour desk.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The hotel rooms are adequate but have nothing special about them. The property is found along a strip of hotels in the Cannt - new properties are opening up here every year.

Staff were helpful, but given the size of the property checkin/checkout times can be chaotic - processes were slow and staff not efficient.

Prices - of food, beverage and ancillary services are high to outrageous.

We were shocked when we were told we couldn't have lunch in the ground floor restaurant because there were 12 of us. We were sent to the rooftop where a buffet was all that was on offer - we were effectively trapped due to time constraints so we ate here. 50% of all foods on the buffet were empty due to previous large groups (and they were not replaced). Some of the heating burners were off so it was not hot. Staff were fairly disinterested in serving drinks, or doing anything for that matter. Finally, the buffet price per head was about double what we would have paid for lunch in a good nearby restaurant (which we did from then on).

These issued were raised with F&B Managers, who didn't care.

In contrast - breakfast was quite good, but service slow.

Stay here if you wish (but check out the new properties nearby), but right from the start - eat elsewhere !!!! (The JHV Plaza is 2 minutes walk away and they have some good coffee shops)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
gurgaon
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Its 2205 Hrs now and I am sitting in Ramada hotel room 3125 and trying to write a review of what i have experienced so far. I will review in points so that it becomes easy for potential guests to remember of what I experienced.

1. Front Desk/Check in- Superfast as I had earlier called and booked the room. Early check-in was obliged. I work in a prominent sports brand and the front desk lady asked for discount on my brand. Nothing wrong but not professional.

2. Room/Washroom- Strictly OK room. Twin bed I asked for. Got it. Washroom is Ok. Enough plug points to charge laptop, mobile, camera at same time.

3. I left my room at 11 am and I tried to press the button for Room Cleaning. The button was non-functlonal. Hence as expected when I returned at 2030 Hrs evening the room was not clean.
I called up House keeping but they did not send anyone to clean the room. I called again after 30 minutes and finally someone came after 45 minutes of my 1st call to them.

4. Since evening the cable tv was not working. I called house keeping. They said the cable will work in half Hour. As I am writing the review the Cable tv is still not working.
I had called house keeping to provide a DVD player. They said YES we can provide immediately. Its been 2 hours since then and no one has turned up.

5. I called duty manager to speak with him at 2100 Hrs. I was told by front office that Duty Manager is having dinner. I again called Duty Manager at 2145 Hrs. I was told that he will call back in 5 minutes. So far he has not called.

So far I am sitting here, writing a review, with no cable, not assistance from duty manager, not DVD player. Wish I had booked Surya Hotel adjacent Ramada where I would have got room for 2500 INR, good service, great view of the Surya palace and working 40 inch television.

Room Tip: Take any room. All have same Garden view. All will deliver pathetic service.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ballia, Uttar Pradesh, India
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We visited the Restaurant located inside the hotel premises. As we had heard it was very nice and neat. The entire premises is maintained in such a way that it doesn't feel like we are in Varanasi. The first thing that we liked was that a private parking, the owner of the cars doesn't have worry at all. Upon entering it was all green and the garden was well maintained. As we entered the lobby, Ramada lived up to our expectations and it was fantastic. The Reception was located on the left side of the entrance the lobby it quite big with siting facilities. Also located is a cake shop on the right side close to the restaurant. Upon entry in the Restaurant we were welcomed very warmly and were seated. The Chinese snacks we ordered was on the table right in time. But after this all the things were delayed. The tea was brought on the table in additional 20 minutes. The starters took 20 minutes and there was so much time between the starters and the main course that we took a walk in the lobby and came back. Now the quality of the food. We had vegetarian food. The north Indian vegetarian food was nice, The Dal makhani, Paneer Lababdar and Muttor Mushroom was nice but the chinese segment of the main course was pathetic. The taste was not according to the standards. Then we ordered a cake, black forest tasted nice and was fresh but the remainder portion of the cake was not packed well and did not reach home. Would recommend to ask the waiters what would they like to serve instead of placing an order of your choice.

Overall it was a very nice experience and a nice family outing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kangra, India
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Comparing the Ramada Plaza in Varanasi to any other 5 star hotel in India makes me wonder how it got this rating. Although the physical aspect is very nice, the service and services, and the food are not even 2 star in my experience. They sold me a room that they did not have and then lied about it and tried to put me in a different type of room that was less expensive than the one I paid for. It took much energy and effort on my part to make things right. There was a huge shock when I pulled back the sheets of the carefully made bed. Anyone making the bed would have seen that the sheets were heavily soiled. And I mean soiled. Eventually new sheets were put on the bed, but not even an apology was offered. The food was nearly inedible in the breakfast buffet...the best bet was toast or chocolate cheerios. The staff all seemed surly, with one or two exceptions. This hotel is a stripped down version of 5 star.

Room Tip: Just don't go!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We moved to this hotel from a 2 star Radisson hotel in Varanasi and were more than pleased with the overall quality of this hotel. We were highly impressed with the Breakfast buffet , it was EXCELLENT, they kept the dining area very clean and the service was outstanding. I will surely go back to this hotel again even though the customer service in the hotel was rather slow.

Highly recommend this hotel to travellers visiting Varanasi.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors as they are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 222Susan5
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed for two days. Rooms were nice, staff friendly and very easy going, Food choices were limited in buffet breakfast. The hotel is situated in a nice location and should be a good choice of a 4* hotel. Overall, 4/5.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple