“Safe choice - total lack of service”

Ramada Plaza JHV Varanasi
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Varanasi
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked the Ramada because the Radisson was full. The rooms on the club floor are ok, but the carpet is a little sketchy. My initial impressions were good. Easy check-in and polite bell-hops.... Big tv, good water pressure, free club lounge wifi. Then I tried to ask the concierge about basic transport availability and got bullied into booking an OVERPRICED hotel ghat tour. No matter what I said I wanted to do or unrelated questions I asked, they kept on insisting on booking me for their tour. When I tried to ask the front desk about it he smartly replied, "The concierge has already told you all the information." He told me price and time but that was about it. I promptly cancelled the tour and spent a very nice morning including boat ride and guide for about 40% of the 3000IRS that they wanted. Lunch at the Indian restaurant in the hotel was very good, though the waiter hovered over me very concerned that the food as too spicy...but thats not such a bad thing. Breakfast really tipped the scales though. 10 waiters giving all their attention to the food buffet and not the customers. I was there 30mins, filled my own water glass twice and only had the opportunity to ask for coffee when a waiter silently tried to take my plate away.
I guess this is a Ramada, but its focus is not on assisting its guests----kind of important in the service industry. This is not the service I've known in India either. I've felt the same high level of politeness and service in both the Taj Palace and in tea shacks in small alleys or on highways---yet not at Ramada Varanasi. Awful service and so so rooms make this a safe yet overpriced and aggravating hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were in Varanasi at the height of the Kumbh Mela (religious festival) in Allahabad, India. Our room was infested with bed bugs. When I called to let the management know, they apologized and sent up housekeeping to change my sheets. Well, changing the sheets will not change the bed bug population. I tried to explain this to them and asked for a new room away from that one. They said there were no other rooms. Our guides (Registhan Tours), insisted on switching rooms with us. Many thanks to them for helping us to sleep through the night.
Our evening meal was a buffet that was almost the same everyday, little variation and very mediocre. The hotel was modern and looked clean---- just fell short in some very important areas.

Room Tip: There are many hotels in Varanasi and guest suites. I would do some research on other hotels and re...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were upgraded to the Ramada Plaza on our stay in Varanasi due to the hotel that we had chosen being block-booked. Was quite excited at the prospect of staying at the Ramada Plaza but on arrival at the hotel, the reception staff were rude, unhelpful and did not assist or communicate with us as to whether we could check in. It was the porters who actually asked us politely to please wait as it seemed that the Reception staff seemed quite overwhelmed at actually having to deal with people. Our passports were also kept back and not returned to us as promised, until we requested for it.

The room itself was very standard and much smaller than expected and I have stayed at Budget Hotels in India which have more space and better furniture and carpets. Every night was a struggle to sleep as being wedding season, there was a wedding every night at the hotel with lots of noise.

While breakfast was a lovely spread, the staff at the restaurant never made eye contact, cleared dirty dishes or asked if there was anything needed.

My worst gripe though is access to wifi which you had to pay exorbitant sums to access despite even three star hotels in India currently providing free access to wifi these days.

Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

when we arrived at the hotel, it was relatively late in the day and we were tired. The lobby appears to be adequate. The restaurant served dinner buffet with standard tourist spread with stand out and service was sub-par. We have to ask for water, coffee, tea, hot milk ( in lieu of cream, hot water, salt and pepper and on and on.. The service staff obviously did not prepared to serve the customer. They were there to respond to requests. Even then, the services were very slow and unattentive. It would be easier if we just get up from the table and helped ourselves. This is the first evidence that the management is left more to be desired.
When we finished dinner and entered our rooms for the first time, I was shocked how dirty the carpet was. It was filthy and smelly. There was a stench that was hard to describe. After a few minutes, my nose gt used to it. I was wearing the slippers provided by the hotel to walk around and made sure that i would not walk bare feet in the room.
The bath room looked adquate until I ran the water in the sink to wash my hand. the plumbing under the sink, a fairly modern one, leaked and my feet and slippers all go wet.
The air condition would not run right. It was freezing cold. The technician came and left. He decided just turned the thermostat off might have taken care of it. I folded my cover double and kept warm at for me. I was not sure how the others in our group got by.
This was not the end of the story. We had to get up at 4 am to go to the river bank to witness the variety of activities along the Gange River, a standard tourist activity. There was no hot water for shower. Long and behold, they turned off the boiler the night before and it would not come on until 6 in the morning. I finally lost it and yelling at whoever on the phone that they had better turn on the boiler or I would make a scene in their hotel.
I should rate this hotel 1 star or no star. But I thought the people slept under the eaves along the streets in Vanarasi had a no star accomodation, so 2 star may be fair for this Ramada Hotel. I was totally disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: There may hold a wedding at the hotel during your stay. Be sure to get a room that is away from the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had trouble booking a hotel in town and settled for the Ramada on our trip to Varanasi. The staff is helpful, the rooms are standard American (though a little worn) and the restaurant cafe was, actually, a very good and varied buffet.
We received free WIFI in the lounge on our room's floor, but had to ask several times for it and the password changed everyday.
Easy (if chaotic) auto-rickshaw ride into town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
fomramada, General Manager at Ramada Plaza JHV Varanasi, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

We take the pleasure in thanking you for giving us a chance to serve you. Your suggestion for the room has been taken constructively and we are initiating room renovation from April and would look forward to welcome you again with us.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

There is only one condition that makes me rate this hotel as a two star opportunity and I do so with regret. The staff are excellent and the food is good. I am also not as put off as others we met about the just over 5 US dollar charge for one hour of wi-Fi in the lobby. The problem is the noise transmission in the rooms and there are two sources of unwanted sound. The “Toxic” bar do atwnstairs puts out loud music and the base notes bound through two floors till about 11 at night. But that is not the worst by far.
Having been an architect, I can appreciate the aesthetic quality if having the rooms set an angle to the corridor. This gives a snall triangular entry off the corridor and makes the exterior wall zig-zag and gives a more interesting appearance than a smooth straight wall. However it means that the bathrooms in the adjacent rooms do not share a common wall, the bathroom in room next to ours backed on to the sleeping area. But worse, the plumbing must have been in the wall so when our neighbours opened their tap, a bang like noise, followed by a swish and then the gurgling of water down the drain. The shower lacked the bang but the swish was louder. The worst was the toilet. The problem was due to the fixtures being connected to the thin wall and the wall reverberating with the fixtures. I talked to another guest, she also complained about the noise of furniture being moved. Otherwise the hotel is nice.

Room Tip: get a room near the top floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Though this hotel is a bit far from the main attractions and tourist areas of the city, the good rooms and service made up for it. The rooms are quite spacious with all modern amenities.

We had the buffet breakfast which was good with lots of variety in North Indian, South Indian and continental food. The fruits were really fresh. Dinner was a-la-carte and was well made. Totally recommended for a stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family