“Wonderful place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Varanasi
philadelphia
“Wonderful place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed at the Rashmi Guest House during our time in Varanasi. It was a truly great hotel with a very fine restaurant. We were fortunate to have a room with a breathtaking view of the Ganges. We accepted the services of Pappu, an independent guide, with exceptional knowledge of Varanasi. He helped us make the most of our 3 day visit by arranging boat tours, an old city walking tour, and a side trip to Sarnath. He gave us very personized service and was attentive to our requests. We had an unforgettable time in this ancient city.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Copenhagen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

My partner and I visited Rashmi Guest house in Varanasi in midt july 2009.
We had a wonderfull stay and enjoyed the wonderfull staff at the spectacular and very unique Guest house right on the river. The rooms are clean and functional and the roof terasse The Dolphin Restuarant has the most spectacular view over the Ganges river - absolutley terrific. We also met Pappu at the Rashmi Gesut House - and he certainly made a big difference to our wonderfull stay in Varanasi. Pappu is a well respected Brahman wich much knowledge and respect for the indian religions. We had some wonderfull evenings where he told us about the culture and the religious beliefs. He also put us in contact witrh a great guide who - for the mere price of a rickshaw - took us around Varanasi to show us all its glorified and beautifull temples. Pappu certainly takes great responsability in teaching the turist in Varanasi about the beautifull country and in specific this amazing place on earth. Pappu really made our stay in Varanasi one of our best experiences in India.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

As a single traveler with the opportunity for a one-week stay in Varanasi, I checked into Rashmi Guest House, and I was not disappointed. The moment I walked through the door, I was warmly presented with every hospitality a traveler could want. Varanasi can be daunting, especially for those traveling solo, but the staff of this hotel made me feel right at home. Every single member of the staff was genuinely friendly, from the front desk, to those working in the restaurant, to the cleaning service. I could not possibly overstate this: I truly believe anyone staying in this guest house will be made to feel right at home. You will not be treated as a stranger, but as a friend.

A boy offered to show me Varanasi, and I must say he was most knowledgeable and helpful indeed, assuring that I experienced all the major attractions a tourist must see, offering advice on fair prices and reputable shops for silks, perfumes, and spices. (Because I am a pure vegetarian, I do not buy silk, and it was good to know that there was never any pressure, since many shops will pressure you to buy.) Everyone I met either at or through the hotel was pleasant and sincere. You can truly trust the recommendations you receive from the hotel staff and guide. Incidentally, the boy introduced me to a man whom I believe to be the best, most courteous driver in all of Varanasi; so here, too, I was blessed in a city where a good driver is definitely needed.

The hotel restaurant is definitely an attraction, and many tourists make it a point to frequent it, especially in the evening. Here again, the value is incredible, the service is outstanding, and the food is the best around.

Another reviewer has stated that pictures do not do this place justice. Believe it. The hotel itself is immaculately kept, and is splendid both inside and out. The room in which I stayed (201), though simple, was kept perfectly clean, and everything worked well for me, from the shower to the a/c. The bed was clean and comfortable. Room service was prompt and friendly. The room itself was simple, and so I give it four stars, but understand I chose the standard room knowing I would not be spending much time at the hotel. I was not disappointed, and nicer rooms are certainly available.

Where value is concerned, you get exceptional lodging and service for your money, but please note that to secure a room in advance, you must pay upfront for your entire stay. This can potentially cause complications considering the possibility of cancellations or delays in flights. Unfortunately, this did happen to me, but I was offered good consideration for my trouble, and I certainly do not regret my stay. To the contrary, when I return to Varanasi in the future, I plan on staying here once again.

To conclude: if you desire to stay in Varanasi and truly experience what it has to offer, I believe Rashmi Guest House to be your best choice. I would recommend it to family and friends, and I would stay here again myself.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was our last stop on our tour of The Golden Triangle and Varansi, which we booked through Castle and King in Dehli. They recommended all the hotels to us and were excellent.
The Rashmi Guest house in comparasion to the other hotels we stayed in, The Imperial in Delhi, Rampagh Palace in Jaipur and Amarvilas in Agra, was very basic but it is comfortable, clean and the staff lovely. I would have given it a 5 star rating but the shower in our room just did not work at all, it dribbled very hot water.
We arrived after a dreadful journey on the sleeper train from Agra(Tundra) to Varansi at 5.30am in the morning and were exausted and felt dreadful. The First Class AC sleeper compartment was filfthy, the rubbish bin had been used as a toilet and the carpet was sodden with -well I won't say but you can guess, we had been up all night with no sleep
We arrived at the Rashmi Guest house and our room, understandably wasn't ready but they did put us in room 101, which was a very small double, but clean and we promptly feel asleep. Our guide was meeting us at 9 so we showered, the shower in room 101 worked perfectly well, and had breakfast on the rooftop restaurant where we met Pappu who is charming. He offered to give us a tour but we already had our guide booked which was a pity. The guide was excellent but it would have been nice to have a short tour with Pappu, but by the time we returned mid afternooon and were shown to room 204, which was a super deluxe river view room, we just crashed out and went to sleep until the evening ceremony.
This room had everything you could want, a safe, airconditioning (but it didn't always work - but then this is Varansi where powercuts are frequent) a big ceiling fan, tea and coffee and a kettle, toiletries in the shower room, hairdryer and a fridge (very useful for bottled water). The only thing that didn't work was the wifi, which reception told us was throughout the hotel. You can get it in reception but it didn't work in the bedroom.
We had dinner in the Dolphin Restaurant on the roof and it was one of the best meals we had in India. The food was excellent.
I know a lot has been said on this website about Varanassi. I liked it, it is colourful, enchanting and disturbing all at the same time. The evening ceremony was well worth watching and the early morning (5am) boat ride on the Ganges was well worth doing. Again with Castle and King we were in our own private boat with just the guide, whereas other boats were very crowded. Having the boat to ourselves was perfect because our guide was able to give us the full history and happenings of the gants and the river and answer all our questions.
I'm really pleased we stayed at the Rashmi Guest house rather than the Radisson or Taj, which are both in the centre of town and 5 star hotels, but a long way from the River and the Gants. The Rashmi Guest house has to be the best location of all the good quality hotels in Varanasi - if you do decide to include Varansi as part of your visit to India, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank slj60
Haifa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

we stayed 2 nights at this nice and very well located hotel
they sent as a car to take us from the airport with a fellow happend to be a guide since we had only 2 days we thought it would be wise to use his service.
since we only came to india and varanasi was our first stop we where not aware of the prices it terned out our guide took as to sevarel places and we over paid (probebly he got his comisions and thought we are easy catch.....as we terned to be......) by the way his name was mallo
so the hotel is very nice but learn from our expirience

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Looking at some of the photos on the Travelocity site, the hotel looks kind of shabby. Our stay there was not shabby at all! While the rooms are not all that interesting, they are clean and totally comfortable, and the price is amazing. The lobby is wonderful and the front desk staff are second maybe to the Ritz Carlton. They helped us plan our 4 days, gave us tips on where to shop (the owner himself took us to a reputable silk dealer!), and were genuinly interesting and kind people. The rooftop restaurant provides the most lovely views of the Ganges - and the food was great.

This was a perfect place to spend time in Varanasi. I wholeheartedly reccommend it. This is the only tripadvisor review I've ever written so you know I mean it!

To give readers some perspective, we never stayed in the cheapest places but weren't interested in the big box, international hotels like the radisson. We enjoyed learning about the culture and being immersed, while still being comfortable and safe. Our hotels ranged from $40ish per night (this hotel!) to $75 per night.

Stayed February 2008
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

My wife and two friends traveled through northern India for 7 weeks - Leh Ladakh, Delhi, Shimla, Chandigarh, Darjeeling and Varanasi or "Kashika". While in Varanasi we stayed at the Rashmi Guest House and found that 1) the service was great, 2) the rooms were comfortable, HOWEVER, if you have to arrange your trip around procuring rooms 302 especially and 303, do so. The views are breathtaking and I would personally put them up against anywhere, 3) the restaurant and room service was very good, the rooftop restaurant was great, and most importantly, 4) Pappou, Pappou, Pappou!!!! Before embarking on our 7 week journey, I did extensive research into planning our trip - a years prep. Although I went through my travel agent Ellen in Toronto at a travel agency I will divulge upon request since she was excellent, I stipulated where, what place, when and for how long. I advise everyone to do the same, as I found having a 24hr contact in every place we visited in India invaluable. (The price was @ $100cdn per person for such peace of mind) We had some snags that became non issues very quickly. Back to Pappou. I am by nature a skeptic, so when I read the reviews of Pappou I kept him in the back of my mind but that's all. While in Varanasi, (thank you Tiwari of Akay for ALL your help, you are awesome) we ran into some unfortunate discord and Pappou was instrumental to helping us as a group on a personal level. Varanasi is an intense place and life is funny and I find Pappou to be an extraordinary human being. Later during our stay we decided to take a tour with Pappou through the streets of Varanasi and found ourselves off the beaten path, into a world we would have otherwise never experienced. A "tour" with Pappou is better described as an experience, one that you will always cherish. The cost was what we thought was deserving, and we thought it invaluable. The access, knowledge, personal reflections, life experiences and little life lessons were far more beneficial than the tour we took with a person we had that had a PHD in history while in Varanasi. The differences were staggering. Pappou is passionate about his city and it's rich history and culture. He is personal, warm and incredibly knowledgeable. He treats you and talks to you as if he knew you all his life, I don't believe he has ever met a stranger. I cannot praise Pappou enough and if you're reading this Pappou, please email me, PJ, the tall Canadian with the tattoos and beard. Thank you my friend, and to the rest of you, enjoy and please feel free to email me questions about any part of our amazing journey. I can send info and pics of all destinations and our accommodations. Love Life!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends