“in the middle of Varansi, right above the gats”

A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Varanasi
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The restaurant on the roof shows a great view
The food was very good too.
(little expensive comparing to India but the location makeup for it)

the rooms are OK,
what made the stay good for us and also "soften" our land in India (we started at Varanasi) was the good care and service of Mr.Ramesh - the hotel manager!!! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank noam_ab

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is right on Man Mandir Ghat, adjacent to Dashaswamedh Ghat. Maharaja Jai Singh's observatory is the very next building. You can see the evening "aarti" from you hotel room if you do not want to climb down the famous steps at the Varanasi ghats. My 84 year old grandmother did just that. The view of the Ganga is lovely, from your room or the terrace. You can walk down to the Vishwanath Mandir in less than 10 minutes via a shortcut. The food is AWESOME! Except for the Kashmiri Naan, the chef put some delicious food on the table. The waiters were good enough, though service could go up a few notches.The really bad things about the hotel were that for the price, the rooms were mighty cramped. We had taken 4 rooms, and in some rooms you have to climb on to the bed to open the cupboard. Frankly, with your luggage on the floor you somehow just squeeze yourself around. The worst part is climbing four floors each time you want lunch or dinner. There is no elevator. The restaurant is on the top floor. I had a number of elderly people with me, who found it painful to climb up so many flights. You cannot even eat in your room, as the rooms are so tiny. However, the location and quality of food make up for everything. Varanasi is an ancient city, pretty much untouched by modernity in pockets. It should be appreciated for that - amid all the dirt and squalor, sacred time stands still.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a direct view of the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank feetonmustardseeds
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed in Rashmi Guest House for three night. The location is great, in the heart of Varanasi, overlooking the Ganges and the main Gaths. We had a room on the top floor, from which the view was really wonderful. Despite all this, I would not recommend the hotel. The room is overpriced (we paid as much as a 4-star hotel), the AC was very noisy and rooms were not really clean. Not reccomended.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Antonio F
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Perfect location right on the main ghat- thats why decided for this hotel. Had booked a riverview room but views from our small and not really clean third floor room were very limited. Noisy AC. Views from rooftop terrace came up to expectations, great for a sundowner, but crowded at dinner. All in all heavily overpriced- we payed about US$ 130,- per night. Would not stay there for a second time

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Not sure how to put this..

Overall, I was not 100% pleased with my stay at Palace. I think this is a mid-range Guest House –much more expensive than the basic guest houses, yet cheaper than the 5 start establishments in the Cantonment area or the few expensive places along the Ghats. Before coming to Varnassi, I did a TON of research to find the best place for my budget as I was traveling alone. In hindsight, I wish I would have spent more money and stayed at a nicer place. Also, please note that I didn’t love Varanasi and my hotel-appointed guide was horrible, so might have clouded my experience

PROs
- Good location, right on one of the main ghats. Minutes from the main evening puja
- Easy to find in the maze-like old city (look for Dolphin Restaurant signs)
- Ramesh is a very nice guy
- Lots of foreign tourist (which I appreciated)
- Close to Brown Bread Bakery (good western food!)

CONS
- DON’T GO WITH ROHIT as your guide. I asked for Pappu (as mentioned on this forum) and got Rohit instead. He was a horrible guide, wouldn’t help me find a more public boat ride, tried to push me into silk stores
- Beds were hard
- Didn’t love the Dolphin restaurant (food was greasy, too large portions, no beer)
- Shady airport drivers

If you are on the fence, this is a great place – but if you want something more luxurious – go for a higher end place.
Or go budget at the many guesthouses in the area.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Nick_ALT
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The room we stayed in was a little cramped and expensive but the hotel is on dashashwamedha ghat ( the main ghat) and is conveniently located as Varanasi is all about the ghats. It is close to a lot of great eateries- indian and otherwise.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrinalinipandit
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed at Rashmi about a month ago and it was absolutely wonderful. The building itself is right on the Ganga and the views are spectacular. It's clean and beautiful. However, it's the staff at Rashmi that make it spectacular. The guides, specifically Golu, are incredibly knowledgeable about Varanasi, the people and the culture. I strongly recommend working with a guide to get the full experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo