“Weird Place”

Ranked #158 of 214 Varanasi B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Weird Place”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a weird hotel!? Really modern lobby that makes you think, yeah this is gonna be nice...then the bedrooms are average and bathroom foul, lots of appliances did not work and no a/c. The room itself was quite nice, but the tv and fridge did not work, no air conditioning and constant banging from ongoing construction work. The bathroom stank, really stank - the toilet would not flush. The 'swimming pool' was filthy, green and full of leaves - I would rather have a dip in the Ganges! It is also a rickshaw ride from the Ghats. I would avoid this place if possible!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

pro-beautiful pool! -- beware of prying eyes is construction site next door

Restaurant didn't speak very good English- my partner got very sick after eating here too-- but we can't be sure that this restaurant is the culprit

A little out of the way and hard to find for tuktuk drivers. It was about a 40 minute walk to the Ganges

Reception were very rude and very unhelpful they left us sitting in reception for two hours-- very very sick without communicating to us what was going on. They yelled at us and hung up on us once when we called reception - we also saw them yelling at other guests

BEWARE of overcharging taxi service

Wifi was down the first day we were there but working the rest of our stay.

Room was ok.
Bed was rock hard. They basically had to kick the air con to get it started.

Bathroom was filthy and dark

Bathroom in restaurant not maintained. I asked them to clean it so I could use it. That was a waste of my breath.

Room Tip: Perhaps view the bathroom before settling in?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Thanks to the Maha Kumbh Mela, I was unable to get rooms in my usual preference of Taj Gateway or the Radisson in Varanasi. Given that I was just going to be there for 1 night, I decided to just find any place to stay and Hotel Siddhartha was it. The reception and facade of the hotel looks good but walk past that and you are faced with a hotel from the 70s and maintained as such. The toilets were clean but shabby, the room had mosquitoes in it and the food in the hotel gave me a stomach upset the next day. I hope the only time I have to stay in this hotel again is during the next Maha Kumbh, 144 years later!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 8, 2013

A nice Hotel directly in Varansi.The Hotel room was a big room, comfortable for normaly standard.Even bathroom was ok....only disturbend Moskitos even also in winter in rooms.Even mold smell was at our floor.Matratze was a bit hard.
Rooms were cleaned.Good room service , food was ok......you can get special alcoholic drinks and even also international food.But if you have to change money try to do it by another place instead of hotel...rates will be to less.

Room Tip: Check the rooms before you like to check in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I took a room with triple Bed (although i wasn't happy with the condition of the room and as other hotels were all full, me and my friends decided to stay there). I checked in on Friday night and i was to stay there till Sunday afternoon. But i was told that they had another booking on Sunday and i was told that i would be given a room only if i can checkout before Sunday morning 0800. I agreed for this and a tariff was agreed.

There was a surprise when i checked out at 0800 in the morning. The receptionist was not the one who was there at the time of check in. He charged me double the agreed tariff. I other receptionist who had initially committed for the tariff was not reachable.

Poor room maintenance. Power goes off every often and it takes a long time before they switch on the generator.

Very Bad experience. I felt i could have tried couple more hotels before sticking on with this.

Room Tip: "Please Avoid"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vish_Banglr
Balangir, India
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had made a booking for my parents at this hotel in advance. The tariff mentioned on the website for a Business Class room was Rs.3500 + taxes. I got it confirmed at Rs.2500 +taxes by Mr. Abhishekh.

When my parents arrived at the hotel, they were put up in a damp dirty room on the second floor. When they didn't agree and asked for a room on the first floor, they said first floor is completely booked. Then they were put up in a room on the ground floor.

I was informed by my parents that construction is still going on in the hotel. Do not get enticed by the photographs of the hotel. It is just a facade.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank saurabh1281
current
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is in the heart of the city. It has fairly good rates, but it does not give you the value for the price. Sometimes the rooms are bad with lots of missing components like light bulbs etc. I ordered a tea and there was some ugly little white lump in the kettle There is nothing more to add.

Room Tip: Stay away from the roadside to avoid the noise
Stayed February 2012, traveled solo