“Off the tourist path, away from crowds and near the ghats” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palace on Ganges

Palace on Ganges
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Hayward, Wisconsin
“Off the tourist path, away from crowds and near the ghats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

Palace on Ganges was a pick by my travel partner who had read a brief snippet on this newly opened hotel. Four years later I am starting to see it reviewed in the guide books.
Located overlooking the River Ganges, at Assi Ghat, the hotel is away from the main action yet only a boat ride away. Walk up the steps to the main door where you’ll be welcomed by the front desk. The lobby itself is quite small but just beyond is a sitting area with views of the street and river below.
The room with twin beds was tight yet efficient and clean. On the roof top you’ll find a small restaurant for your breakfast or lunch. I tried to eat there once but the service just to be seated was slow so I skipped it and ran over to Haifa. This perception had more to do with my surly attitude that morning which made the wait time seem long.
Downstairs you’ll find a charming restaurant. I only found time to stop in for Gulab Jamun one night, tasty and just right.
The staff was very accommodating in waking us for our early morning sunrise boat ride. Hot masala tea was brought to the room and we were reminded to leave quickly in order to make the sunrise.. My only disappointment was after returning from the boat ride mid-morning, we found our room door unlocked and cracked open. Inquiring with the staff about this proved futile. Had I not left my passport, money and other small valuables in the room I wouldn’t have been so bothered. Lesson learned on why you always take your money and passport.
Upon leaving our last morning I found myself sitting next to an older Indian gentleman. Turns out he was deaf and mute. We carried on for a few minutes somehow communicating when I left him with the customary Namaste hand gesture. He returned the gesture which seemed heart-felt, not contrived as I usually feel. I learned while walking out the front door he was the owner.
Stay here to avoid the crowds and enjoy the great views of the river.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sean C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
varanasi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

great hotel in india
best service
lovely room
i styad with my bussiness partner in sep and i realise that this is the best hotel for my bussiness trip

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank fgtre
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

As intrepid explorers, venturing into the heartland of India we could have not expected or wanted a more friendly and helpful reception than the one we received from the staff at The Palace on the Ganges (with interestingly themed rooms). The hotel is well located, literally on the banks of the river, with breathtaking views and easy access to the river for the all important sunrise boat trip. A memorable, trip, stay and experience. Thank you ! Highly recommended. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Wicklow Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

The location is great if you are on a short trip to Varanasi - its right on the Ghats tumble out of bed and into a boat for the early morning cruise couldn't be easier. If you are on a 1 or 2 night stop over in Varanasi this is a good place to stay. It is not 4 star ... round about 3 star maybe (European standard). The place is clean absolutely no problem there just a little tired and old and the bathrooms are old and could do with a bit of a spiffing up! But again spotlessly clean. We didn't have a window directly out onto the Ghats - it was out onto a shared balcony which looked onto the Ganges (and we were in a top notch room) so be chilled out about the room they give you.. it probably is the best they have on offer! Still we were happy enough and would use it again just bearing in mind that its not span new but the location is great. Few places to eat in the area - agan fairly local feeling and 'rustic'! Bottom line... if you aren't splurging on the Radisson then this place is good enough for 2 nights in Varanasi. (Radisson is a million miles out of the way anyway.. no where near the Ghats),

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

If you want to stay near the ghats in Varanasi, and I would recommend doing so, Palace on Ganges is one of the few decent options. The hotel is near Assi Ghat, which is at the southern end of the long line of ghats, and a five second walk to the river. You really are in the thick of things, which is important to know before hand.

The hotel itself is very nice, lots of wood paneling and kept very clean. The room we had (202 - Tamil Nadu) was also pleasant with a fan and AC. The only really bad thing to say about it was the bed bugs. After being bitten for a few minutes I had to go to the front desk to get new sheets. The guy at the desk didn't seem too concerned about it either.

• Stayed August 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JPCbia
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for a few nights in February 09. It is a lovely place, a little pricey though. We had no complaints about the cleanliness and service. It is located in an ideal spot at the end of the river. This means that you have ease of transport yet are walking distance from the ghats. There is a fantastic view of the river from the roof top terrace.

I would agree with the positive comments given by the other reviewers, however there was only one thing that was not positive for my friend and I.

Both my friend and I are British born Asians (Indian heritage) and we had booked over the phone. I noticed that although our host was polite to us, he was clearly cooler towards us than the other guests. All other guests were welcomed with flower garlands and smiles. However, we were greeted with mere polite professionalism and no smile. This is only in relation to the front desk manager guy. The rest of the staff which included all the guys cleaning, cooking, taking care, even the taxi driver who was linked to the hotel were very cordial and welcoming. They were warm, friendly and would have chats with us, which I really liked. I just found it weird that the management treated us noticeably different to the other "foreigner" guests. This made me feel we were getting a raw deal, especially as we hadn't paid any less than the other guests for the service! When we were checking out I mentioned that my watch was missing and had anyone found it. The manager quickly shouted at a staff member as to whether anyone had stolen the watch! I understood what he was saying as I understand Hindi. I quickly told him not to worry about it.

This was not the only time we encountered this in India. In general I was practicing speaking hindi, which would often confuse people as they would think we were Indian nationals. However when we spoke in English (with our Brit accents) they treated us like they would all other foreigners.

Overall it was a nice hotel, but given the price (a little overpriced) and the "discrimination" I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AartiKapoor

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

With no deposit or credit card details required, Internet bookings via email seem a little vague. Stayed at The Palace on the Ganges (POTG) for four nights and am still not sure whether the rooms I booked via the internet were actually reserved for us - or whether we were just lucky in that rooms were available when we arrived??? POTG does not arrange pick-ups so pre-book or haggle on arrival in Varanasi - and Varanasi station is a whole new dimension in Indian travel!! However, POTG is at Assi Ghat and is easily accessible by road (good for arrivals and departures with luggage) but it's a good 20-30 minutes walk from Dashaswamedh Ghat (the main ghat), so it's an auto or cycle-rickshaw in and out if you don't fancy the walk - consider a) the traffic on the main road at night is LETHAL and b) there is not much variety (including restaurants) around Assi Ghat.
The hotel itself is very nicely restored, clean and beautifully furnished - we were fortunate in having river view rooms. Outstanding was the staff on the front desk - very helpful and friendly. Varanasi is beset by power-cuts, intermittently up to eight hours a day at times. POTG has a back-up generator (which some other hotels lack apparently) - fans work, but no a/c. Maybe something to consider if you travel in the height of summer and the outside temperature is an average of 43 C !!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends