“A Misleading Farce”

Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Noida, India
“A Misleading Farce”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Hotel Varuna, Varanasi, was one of the biggest mistakes I have made in the recent past, in choosing a hotel to stay in.

I had a one night stay for business purpose at Varanasi and I began by searching for a Hotel near Varanasi Railway Station as I had a train out from Varanasi. Owing to its close proximity to the Station, this Hotel came up on a search engine and I visited the website of the Hotel.

The First Farce - The Website
The Website is fairly beautifully done up with pictures of "Lush Green Gardens", which were not there, a "Lounge Cafe", which was a basic 14 feet by 14 feet room with 3 - 4 sofas and a dining table in the middle, and "Cozy Rooms", which could make one feel as cozy as a pig feels in his sty - There were cracks on all the walls, which were crying for a touch of paint, the bed and linen thereon was dirty; and the toilet was a shambles. The website hides all these facts by putting up beautiful pictures which are far from reality and generally the website portrays a picture of professionalism, which is far from the truth; for the "Hotel" itself is basically a Bungalow in a Residential Area, with the Bedrooms converted into rooms and suites.

The Second Farce: The Tariff
For the innocent traveller, the Tariff helps one to gauge the quality and standard that can be expected of a particular Hotel. This is not true for this Hotel at all. In fact the misleadingly beautiful website couples with the overpriced Rs. 3,000/- range of Tariff for “Superior Room“ to lead one to believe that this would be a decent 3 Star Property, which it is not.

The Third Farce: The girl on the phone
If basis the website and tariff, one decides to go ahead with this hotel; and makes the call, there is a fairly well spoken girl who answers the phone and talks in good English asking questions about your stay and your preferences therein – leaving an impression of professionalism that can be expected at the Hotel. I was in for a rude shock, when I was greeted at the desk by an unshaven, shabbily dressed Manager, who looked like a thug and asked in a gruff manner about my stay, details of which I had already given to the aforementioned girl on the phone. He said that based on my conversation with her, I was entitled to a particular class of room at the rate agreed and I was ushered into a coffin of a room, 70% of which was occupied by the double bed in it. Miffed by now; and with realisation dawning that I had been conned, I looked up the booklet etc lying around the room to discover that I had been holed up in the most basic “Studio Room”, while I had agreed on the Tariff for a “Superior Room”. Further shock came when I called up the girl again seeking clarification; and was told “why don’t you talk to the guy who is there and tell him your problem, he will sort it out”. Anyway, I took it up with the guy showing considerable vexation in my tone and was awarded another room without much further ado.

The Fourth Farce: The Room itself
I think that I have amply exemplified the state the hotel was in, so a similar description can be expected of the room itself. The first thought that struck me upon entering the “Superior Room” was: "this kind of a room should be available for 1,000 - 1,200/-

The Fifth Farce: Billing Instructions
Owing to my company’s accounting policy, I generally ask hotels for an airport pickup and clarify at the onset that I would like to have the charges added to the total bill, which amount I would pay by Company Credit Card when settling my dues. During check-out, the gentleman at the desk had already prepared my bill in a fashion that best suited his whims and demanded that I pay the taxi fellow in Cash for the previous day’s ferry (the Taxi guy was summoned and now stood in a corner expectantly). When I told him that I had agreed to staying at this hotel, under very clear billing instructions, he looked up and glared at my temerity of suggesting that he should do away with the bill he had made and make a new bill as per the instructions already agreed to. Whereupon I considered that it would be easier for me to submit clarifications to my own company’s accounts department than to engage in further combat with this thug or challenge the sensibilities of the girl on the phone. Wanting to keep this ugly experience as short as possible, I paid up in cash and departed with a resolve to submit this write-up on a forum which could help save other travellers from the con I had just been subjected to...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank businesstravels2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Varanasi is a much larger city than it seems, and a 800m walk to the ghats is not exactly a quick one, with the layout of the city being constantly crowded and indirect. In short, the location is less than ideal for those who like to walk. It's about 45 minutes to the ghats from Varuna.

The hotel itself looks good, and the pictures make the price seem quite tempting. The room was somewhat clean, but it seems like all of the dust and general dirtiness of Varanasi seem to carry once inside. The walls were extremely thin, and if you are a light sleeper (thank God I'm not) you will be kept up by the relentless honking and noisiness of the city. Also, the lock on the door seems to be very weak and I locked up my bags whenever I left the room, just in case.

I thought the staff were pretty nice until I left. It took me more than one hour to get a taxi, because it had to be one of the hotel's "approved" taxis which were marked up significantly from any of the prices I got from regular drivers in front of the hotel, which I ended up taking.

I didn't have very high expectations from this hotel, but it does have potential, if only the hard- product was better and there was a better way to get to the ghats. I would gladly pay more if Varuna could make some improvements in these areas.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank manh_attan04

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed January 20, 2014

A Very good hotel. Very hospitable staff. Very big place in the center of the varanasi. The ghats are a small rickshaw ride away. Great food as well. Good free wireless Internet. The signal was good in the room as well. Neat and clean bathrooms.

Room Tip: I would suggest to stay at this hotel as location in good with the nice rooms & staff is very fr...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BumbaDaa
Delhi
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed with family during mahakumbh time, so there were limited options available.

The rooms were not cleaned, there were Mosquitos in the room and we barely managed to survive a night.

Find something else if you can

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Note: I'm am American tourist who previously traveled India quite a bit. I stayed at Hotel Varuna on a solo trip for 3 days / 2 nights.

The room:
I stayed in a Deluxe room with a balcony, which was more space than I needed. I had no trouble sleeping at night (with ear plugs). The beds were 9/10 by India standards and 7/10 by American standards - they exceeded my expectations.

Location:
The hotel is located near the center of the city, but not close to the center of tourism (the ghats). However, it's only a short auto-rickshaw ride away.

Service:
Sanjeev has a great sense of humor and was willing to do whatever possible to make my stay easier. The whole staff was exceedingly helpful - key for inexperienced India visitors.

The food:
Great food selection, very tasty, reasonably priced. Convenience of good food in a hotel after a long day was incredible.

Overall Assessment:
There were moments when I would have preferred a closer location, but the price, service, and accommodations made Hotel Varuna a great place to spend my time in Varanasi. I'd recommend the property, esp if the rates are a good deal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Charles R
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Just stqyed in hotel varuna. Liked the hotel. Rooms were neat and clean. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was a bit small but well maintained. Food served was a bit slow but was well prepared. A good hotel in the center of varanasi.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank andirapp-123
Mumbai
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed only for 15 hours. Compared to the rates the rooms are little expensive. The rooms could have been much cleaner. Arrived early morning there was no staff for unloading of the bags from the Cars as we were in big group. Limited staff. Most of the time stayed out so could not experience further. Centrally located in Varanasi. Nearby shopping malls with good brands. Stayed in Room No. 103 the bathroom switches were inside behind the door which took time to locate.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room No. 103 was good with balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family