“Location, Heritage, Clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ganges View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Varanasi
Hotel Ganges View
Ranked #12 of 206 Varanasi B&B and Inns
Geneva, Switzerland
“Location, Heritage, Clean”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The location of this hotel is top, right at the river, with a lovely terrace allowing to relax after your sightseeing. We also liked the flowers all around the place, and the neat and nicely decorated rooms. All was perfectly clean also. I was surprised to find Varanasi (at least along the Ganges), a rather quiet and relaxed city, for Indian standards. A must visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Walter S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We liked this hotel for its relaxed and friendly atmosphere but its jewel is the location and the terrace area which has great views over the Ganges and local life . Bit of a bugger if you drink or eat meat as this is a vegetarian hotel and all the hotels along the Ganges are not allowed to sell alcohol. Not a problem for a seasoned traveller who always takes his own though. Would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Top rooms are the best and open out onto the terrace with good views of the Ganges and local life.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect since this was not my 1st choice to stay at in Varanasi. But I was pleasantly surprised and in retrospect quite pleased. I arrived on a delayed flight so it was at night when I was driven to the hotel and which took a very long time due to some of the worst traffic I have seen anywhere in India. Arriving at the hotel it is up a long flight of stairs to the small reception area where I was registered quickly. I was given a room just 1 flight up from the reception area where I walked across an open terrace and was taken to my room which was supposed to have a view of the river. It really didn't but it did have a view of the terrace/verandah. When I got inside I had them turn on the heater, a small radiator type, since it had been raining and was damp and I was told that it could get cold at night. I found out that the hotel was still serving dinner and so I went down to the dining room which 1 flight down. They have communal tables and I sat with some of the other guests and it turned out to be a delightful dinner. It is set up buffet style and although there were not many choices what was served was delicious. All the meals at the hotel, and my breakfast was included in the price but not lunch or dinner, are vegetarian. In the morning there was a choice of hot or cold cereals, toast, large portions of fresh fruit and coffee but they do not serve eggs.

My room was comfortable and cozy and although the bed was comfortable the pillows were not. The bathroom was adequate with a huge shower area, however it was a bit of a challenge to get the water to the right temperature in the shower. There is a large padlock on the door which you need to lock before you leave but it is exactly the same as the locks in the Lodges in the Tiger Parks.

My room was a little noisy since it faced the Assi Ghat but that was because there was a Hindu Festival with much music but it quieted down after awhile and so was not disruptive. Otherwise I didn't hear any street noise. And in the morning when I was ready to go down for breakfast it was delightful to walk on the Terrace with all the beautiful flowers, most of which were huge Dahlias, and also to look over the ledge to see the Ganges. The hotel is away from the more famous Ghats and so you need to go up the river to get to the area where the boats leave for the early morning trip along the Ganges

Dinner at the hotel is served until 8PM and one night I arrived at 7:50PM and inquired about getting dinner. When I went to the dining room it was empty and I said I would be right back, I wanted to drop my things off. When I got back to the dining room I was surprised to see all the other guests there, I thought they had already eaten so it turned out to be a really fun meal since all of us had done something different during the day.

One of the many guests I met at the hotel has been coming to Varanasi for about 30 years and has always stayed at the Hotel Ganges View which I felt was as good a recommendation as possible. I was very pleased with the hotel and for me the staff could not have been more obliging.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank judytraveller
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We spent a wonderful three days at this hotel. Not only is it in great location, on the river and direct access to the ghats, it is in a delightful setting. The hotel is an old style building with large verandahs full of blooming flowers, where you can sit outside and watch wedding parties go by with great fanfare. The rooms and public areas are authentically Indian with delightful furnishings. Food was delicious, home baked bread in the morning and good vegetarian food for dinner. While it doesn't have all the creature comforts of a Marriott, it makes up for it with atmosphere and warmth. I would recommend this wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Recommend a river view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 908Lesley
Jaipur, India
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Located steps from Assi ghat, at the less busy southern end of the ghats, this hotel offered convenience along with tranquility. With beautifully painted rooms and a flowering veranda the hotel is close to the action, but still peaceful. The food was delicious, and the stuffed tomatoes they served one night changed our lives!

• Stayed March 2014
Villepot
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel is in a great location just on the edge of the main hustle and bustle of Varanasi on the Assi Ghat overlooking the Ganges.
Our early arrival was met with a somewhat less than effusive welcome but we did have the option of choosing the room we wanted for our stay. Although not large it was characterful and well enough appointed, with direct access to the attractive roof terrace where tea and breakfast could be taken.
Although there was a fair amount of street noise during the day, nights were reasonably quiet so we were able to sleep quite well.
Dinner was a (vegetarian) buffet affair with plenty of choice taken at tables with other guests which made for an interesting and jolly occasion.
A problem occurred when we came to settle our bill as the credit card machine seemed to have given up the ghost. Eventually the receptionist overcame the problem by taking me a short walk to an internet café where the hotel obviously has an arrangement and payment was made to them.
Our stay in Varanasi was a highlight of our month in India and this hotel went a long way to making it memorable. A nice gesture was the small novelty gift on departure.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank le-pecheur-Villepot
Lyon, France
Reviewed March 6, 2014

An atmospheric and lovely hotel. Nice room, not overly big, but fine Very high bed: You would not want to fall out of it. Wonderful cuisine, the best we ate in India in a long time -- maybe ever!

Only two negative points: (1) The room we had was on the terrace (Room 14), so we had to keep the curtains closed much of the time, which kept us from enjoying the view and made the room seem smaller. But we could step outside the room for the view. (2) More serious: The toilet stank. Clearly the ventilation is inadequate. They tried to make up for it by having a very strong exhaust fan, which just made the bathroom cold!

Still, a very enjoyable stay. And an excellent location. And great food!

Don't mis the Indian flute seller who hangs out in front of the hotel (Do, however, miss the unwashed beggar with a pet monkey who apparently never washes -- beggar or monkey.) The flutist wlll not only help you select a flute to buy, he will give free lessons over several days.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple