“A Treat”

Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A Treat”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a great experience here from the welcome to the personal service of many staff. Although large many staff were able to make it very much a personal experience by their attitude & attention.
We loved the garden & seeing chefs collecting herbs for that day's meals & my husband found the pathways around the gardens a good jogging track! Also the croquet & hammock that drew me more! Felt very luxurious.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, February 18, 2014

Greetings from the city of temples!!

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.

D 91 542 666 0011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow UK
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Promised a lot from the spacious lobby and welcoming staff but after reaching our room using the totally inadequate twin elevator, this proved in need of renovation. Good breakfast which can be taken out of doors. The evening barbecue fare was very good but seriously overpriced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank JoolsGlasgowUK
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the city of the temples!!

This is a small note to assure you that we have noted your constructive feedback regarding the renovation of the elevator. The concern feedback has been duly shared with the team and we ensure for taking the corrective actions at our end.

It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and services in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels and we would like to assure you that all steps will be taken to ensure a memorable stay of yours in future.

We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary services provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi.

I look forward to meet you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

New Delhi
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Taj has always been amazing in hospitality and this time was no different. Buffet breakfast & dinner offered a delicious spread. Gardens next to pool offered a nice place for a post dinner walk. They had an iron rod jutting out of the ground which hurt me in the dark. I should have no doubt not ventured into the garden in the dark but I think the rods should be painted fluorescent. I got a nice room looking over the lawn. Washrooms were clean to my satisfaction. A large group from Brazil was checking out so my billing took time on the final morning. Staff is very warm. I think I'd stay here again any number of times.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Greetings from the city of temples!!

This is a small note regarding the rod in the garden which hurt you when you ventured into the garden at night. the concern has been discussed with the team and we ensure for a corrective measure at our end. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvience cause to you.

Lucknow, India
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The rooms were good.The swimming pool is good and the food was also great. Front office staffs were courteous. The food at breakfast was good, as was the service in the Hotel was excellent & prompt. I had a comfortable stay & was satisfied with the stay & cost

Room Tip: Good Quality rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mohdalibabar

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Apart from the Nadesar Palace, which only had 10 rooms and is difficult to book, this is the best hotel in Varanasi. The Gateway chain however is Taj's low cost brand, so our expectations were low! The people were lovely and very welcoming and the room was big enough. The food at breakfast was good, as was the service in the bar.

I have only two negative points - one of which is that the whole place could be a little cleaner. Our room smelt damp (might be the air conditioning that needs a service!) and the communal areas and restaurants were clean, but not anywhere near spotless. The windows in our room on the outside looked like they hadn't ever been cleaned and the men's toilet by reception had a strong smell of ammonia! There was a diffuser in there, but the scent was empty and there were only two reeds left (one of which was broken), so the smell from the toilets had well and truly taken over.

The other point concerns the Indian restaurant. The food seemed to be very western focussed (not much spice etc), which we found strange despite the fact that a good proportion of the guests were Indian.

Overall, the hotel is relatively cheap and you get what you pay for so in that regard we did get good value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoelA632
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the city of the temples!!

At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies for inconvenience caused to you during your stay and not being able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards.

This is a small note to assure you that we have noted your constructive feedback regarding the upkeep and cleanliness of the room, properly functioning of A/C, Cleanliness and upkeep of restaurant & reception toilets and the food at Varuna. The concern feedback has been duly shared with the team and we ensure for taking the corrective actions at our end.

I am also glad to note your positive feedback for the Nadesar Palace and courtesy of the staff.

I look forward to meet you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 8, 2014

in the middle of ganges, I could find heaven in Taj Vivanta. Paneer bharwan sabzi is one of the best food item I every had in my lifetime. since the i have been craving for it at all places but could not find any match to it. truly awesome food. our international speaker programme went very well well with superb service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, September 19, 2014

Lucknow, India
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The stay at the property was more than good but not upto the Taj standard. The rooms were good and upgrade was a pleasant surprise. The swimming pool is good and the food was also great. Front office staffs were courteous.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Kundan K
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, February 2, 2014