“value for money”

Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Navi Mumbai, India
“value for money”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

this was my 4th stay in Varanasi and the reason to comeback to this place is great hospitality and warmth.
though hotel was full on the day of my checkin,and hardly rooms left on higher floors,but mohit was quick to reciprocate with my request and I appreciate the quick decision to upgrade me.
Rooms are clean and peaceful and value for money.FnB is also upto the Taj standard and nothing to complain
the lawn & garden is excellent to relax and walk around and if you have time to spend in property,then this is highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, December 15, 2013

Greetings from the city of the temples!!

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am also pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

D 91 542 666 0011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This Gateway Hotel is one of the lower cost properties of the Taj chain and used by many groups. It is well located and has a very helpful staff. It is like an airport motel - it does the job, but it is unlikely to impress.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback.It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and services in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels and we would like to assure you that all steps will be taken to ensure a memorable stay of yours in future.
I look forward to meet you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and I found it a very positive experience. I would recommend the hotel highly. It is in a gated area with security booth at the front of the driveway. This might not seem necessary, but Varanasi is a very crowded and noisy place, and the hotel offers some respite from the noise and crowds. The room was spotless and for an extremely reasonable rate, i was given a suite with a separate sitting room and television, and spacious bedroom with king-size bed. The bathroom was beautifully appointed and very, very clean. I had a little problem with the guide i was given on my first trip into the city, but the concierge apologized and found a really wonderful guide who took me on a morning tour of the Ganges and then to Sarnath that afternoon. I couldn't have had a nicer stay. I don't understand why others complained about the food here. When I stayed, the buffet and restaurant were excellent and I had several very nice meals there with excellent, friendly service. This hotel is not located on the Ganges, so if you want to stay in the thick of things, this isn't the place for you. But Varanasi can be very, very intense for Westerners and I thought this place was a wonderful haven. The price can't be beat.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are on a busy traffic area. My room was perfectly quiet from traffic noise. Be war...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, December 14, 2013

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel is a very peaceful retreat in a very noisy place. Rooms were very good, gardens lovely and the bar is a great place to retire after the hustle, bustle, sites, smells and sounds that is Varanasi.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the restaurant. We had a very late lunch and were the only people eating at the time in there (presumably everyone else was having buffet). Any decided to have a mixed dish between the two of us and what a big mistake we made. The rice was cold and hard and the chicken dish was very cold in fact the whole meal was cold. I wish I had of stuck to my initial reaction and not let a morsel of this me pass my lips but unfortunately us Brits not wanting to complain eat a small quantity and although this was on Sunday 1st December and it is now 11th December I am still having trouble running to the loo every time I eat. I can only presume that I food was left overs from the early diners although the chef did come out and apologise he said that one of the warm plate lights were not working.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JMB2107

Greetings from the city of the temples!!

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind and positive feedback for the upkeep of the room, garden and the bar.

This is a small note to assure you that we have noted your constructive feedback regarding the food preparation. The concern feedback has been duly shared with the team especially with the Executive Chef. Please accept my sincere apologies for inconvenience caused to you and we ensure for taking the corrective actions at our end.

I look forward to meet you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

Snells Beach, New Zealand
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff were welcoming and friendly and seemed to try to go out of their way to help. Restaurant is good. Room was really nice.

Varanasi is very dirty and noisy and this hotel was a haven of peace and tranquillity.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

Noida, India
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Went with a group of 7 cousins for a Sunday brunch at GAD after hectic wedding celebrations the previous day....while the buffet spread was reasonably good but the service was veryyy poor - not what I had expected in a Taj hotel...the usual hospitality element was missing. The servers were more keen on attending to the "foreigner" guests. We had to keep calling them again and again to serve breads, drinks etc. Infact when one of the server spilled water on our table, all he cared to say was a sorry but never came back to wipe it ! Also, the toilets I am told were pathetic and stinking. The worst part was, they were prompt enough to charge a "junior buffet" against my nephew who is just 3 yrs and was mostly running around the restaurant! All in all...a very average experience.

2 Thank Nalini18
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, December 8, 2013

Greetings from the city of the temples!!

At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies for inconvenience caused to you during your visit for the Sunday brunch at GAD and not being able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards.

This is a small note to assure you that we have noted your constructive feedback regarding the service at GAD, courtesy of the staff, the cleanliness of the toilets. The concern feedback has been duly shared with the team especially with the F&B Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Learning & Development Manager. We do realize that the sensitivity of associates towards the guest needs requires focus and to be included in the training sessions. We ensure for taking the corrective actions at our end.

It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and services in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels and we would like to assure you that all steps will be taken to ensure a memorable stay of yours in future.

We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary services provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to meet you during your next visit with us at Varanasi.

UK
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed one night at the Gateway and were welcomed with an upgrade to a suite, which was a good start. The room was clean and sufficient but not spectacular however the common areas were spacious and very attractive. The location is central Varanasi but the site is quiet and green and it feels well away from the bustle. The buffet lunch offered a good range and was good value and the evening meal in the "Indian Restaurant" was delicious. We had not booked a table on arrival and the main dinning room could not take us, the Indian Restaurant was also fully booked but when we looked like we might faint from hunger they found us a table and were very sweet. The hotel is used by tour groups so breakfast was the usual bun fight with people acting like it was going to be their last meal for a week, but that isn't the fault of the hotel. Good choice of food for breakfast and decent coffee. If you can delay your breakfast until after 9am I would - we walked through the dinning room after 9am and it was a sea of calm with Indian families having a civilised time of it. Beautiful gardens to wander in or just sit and relax on the terrace - lovely.

1 Thank michnoquetUk
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, December 6, 2013