“Great Experience..!!”

Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Varanasi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great Experience..!!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here twice during official visits, 3 days each time. The rooms are nicely done tough they are a bit small in size for a luxury hotel. The best part about the hotel is the huge garden, my room being garden facing just made it better.I spent time reading a book and having a lazy smoke in the garden with a lot of open space to myself.
The room service is top notch, so is the morning buffet. The staff is really courteous & pleasing.
For its price range, the stay here is a steal..!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
D 91 542 666 0011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Coimbatore, India
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Firsly, one expects nothing short of excellent service in every Taj property and this one doesn't disappoint either. Absolutely clean and deco-laden interiors, some of them even precious pieces of art, I hear. Next, the room I got was a medium sized one, but had pleasing views of the city. We didn't want to try the buffet because of less number of options and we were then soon well guided by waiter NAVEEN who told about some alternations in buffet he had given us some starters and they were amazing. great mind reader and a well trained waiter with excellent english and knowledge.
Just one disappointment for me though, the bath tub was a tad less wide, so its not suited to those with a lottle extra pounds on them..!
The staff were polite and readily granted us a late check out by 1500 hrs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir,
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I am also glad to note the positive experience especially with 'Naveen' from restaurant who have been complimented on your behalf. We have also noted your suggestive feedback on bathtub and same was duly shared with the team and we ensure for corrective actions at our end. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Varanasi was emotionally draining & the Gateway provided a retreat from this & time to reflect on what we had seen and felt on seeing the ghats.
The staff were helpful & friendly making our stay enjoyable. But we were not warned on check in of renovation work in progress which made noise through the day. Not a big problem but we should have been warned on check in. Having drawn it to the managements attention - a letter did then appear in our room.
The staff were accommodating as we arrived early following an overnight train
The room was roomy & comfortable
The gardens are pleasant and the pool area clean & well managed.
We took advantage of a guide & boatman arranged by the hotel for 2 trips on the GAnges- I would recommend this option - it was good value & the guide excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. We have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the noise of renovation which was duly shared with the team, especially with the Accommodation Manager and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future. We are also glad to note the appreciation for the ambience of pool and the garden and also for the compliments for our associates. We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
Atlanta
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Varanasi is so stunning that the hotel experience here is really secondary. The facility was OK, rooms older and showing some signs of wear. The buffets were lavish but a bit frightening when I realized one morning that the milk I put in my coffee was really warm from having set out too long-I replaced it all promptly-didn't need any more GI challenges!
The gardens here were very pretty, staff friendly but a bit aggressive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. We have noted your feedback and the concerns which was addressed to the Food & Beverage Manager & Learning Development Manager for further improvements and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future. We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
NYC
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Of the nine hotels that I stayed in during a recent 3-week trip through India, this was the least memorable. Nevertheless, it was reasonably clean and friendly, and did provide a quiet, relaxing refuge in what was the most chaotic, intense city I have ever visited.
Varanasi as a destination turned out to be one of my favorites. At one point, as we stood near the banks of the Ganges, I saw a dead body being prepared for cremation, a bunch of super-drunk guys dancing behind a statue of a Hindu god, a guy squatting and defecating, a couple of cows roaming about, and a zillion kids playing. Meanwhile giant flying insects were swarming about us. All this at once! I didn't know where to look!
So you can imagine the relief at returning to a decent hotel.
Our room was basic (we did have free WiFi), and the buffet breakfast and lunch were adequate. Some items (chicken, eggs) tasted weird, so I pretty much went vegetarian for those two days. Dinner was ok but the dining room seemed somewhat disorganized and the waiter pushed a few of us to fill out comment cards while he hovered over us and watched what which boxes we checked. I was honest in my responses, and he looked a bit irritated that I didn't mark all "exellent", but he probably tore it up after we left.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark M
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset please acknowledge my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and not been able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards. This is small note to assure that I have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to your experience at the dining room. The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Food & Beverage Manager & Executive Chef, and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future. We are also glad to note your appreciation for Indian Restaurant - Varuna & the Hotel exterior ambience. We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel did not meet my expectation as I stayed in many gateway / Taj group hotels.
Rooms are not very clean and too noisy, which disturbed our stay. Hotels staffs are very helpful. Restaurant rates are quiet expensive compared to other Gateway.Staffs in restaurant are over enthusiastic, which really disturbed our privacy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your feedback. We have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the cleanliness of rooms & noise due to maintenance work & also staff disturbance in the restaurant associates .The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Accommodations Manager, Executive Housekeeper & Learning & Development Manager and we promise to take corrective actions from our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products & services in line with the standard of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been take to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and legendary service provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi during your next stay with us!
Varanasi 221 002 India
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the 2nd time I am visiting the hotel, I must say that the warmth of the front office staff this time around was missing. When I visited last time around the warmth of the front office staff was much better, The likes of Debanjan,Piyush.Krishnendu and Abhik had made my stay a memorable one, The food at the GAD is very good and the rooms are vey nice, The staff at the GAD are sometimes a bit over enthusiastic and ask how the food was almost every 10 minutes which gets a bit annoying. The rooms are vey nice and clean and the location is very good

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sayani_13
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your feedback. We have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the front office & restaurant associates .The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Accommodations Manager & Learning & Development Manager. We do realise that the sensitivity of associates towards the guest needs requires focus & needs to be included in the training sessions & we promise to take corrective actions. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products & services in line with the standard of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been take to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and legendary service provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi during your next stay with us!
Varanasi 221 002 India