“Beautiful Hotel Away from the Chaos of Varanasi”

The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Varanasi
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful Hotel Away from the Chaos of Varanasi”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is up to the standards of my ultra high maintenance mother! The grounds and hotel are beautiful and clean. It was a great respite from the chaos of Varanasi. One night they even put rose petals on the bed.

We asked the hotel about good restaurants within walking distance, but they weren't able to recommend any except the expensive restaurants in the restaurant. I think we generally felt nickeled and dimed, but that's not atypical of high end hotels.

It was a bit far from the action, which was a positive and negative. It was really easy to negotiate the price into town because there are a few tuks tuks outside competing with each other for your business.

A random note - I understand alcohol can be hard to come by in Varanasi, but the hotel has a good bar.

I would definitely recommend it, especially if you like living comfortably and have the means to do it.

• Stayed November 2012
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service.
T +91-542-666 0001 F +91-542-250 1343

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights in this hotel on a tour of India and Nepal. The hotel was a very relaxing place - lovely to come back for a swim after a busy day sightseeing. The pool area was very pleasant and it had a beautiful garden. The service was very good. The bedroom and the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sally466
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Gateway Hotel, Ganges Varanasi in February of 2013. We found the hotel to be a very nice property. It is a member of the Taj Hotels chain, and is up to their usual high standards. It is not close to the river, if that is a requirement, but that may also be an advantage, since it enables the hotel to have large and well kept grounds. We ventured from the hotel first by tour bus to a point where we caught rickshaws for the last mile or so to the banks of the Ganges. The rickshaws were a very good way to travel through the throngs of people who crowd the approaches to the river. We did walk the last few blocks to speed our progress.
We would stay again at the Gateway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 29, 2013

After hectic traveling, managed to just fall asleep. spend just a night there but felt extremely good.I haven't experienced other hotels in varanasi but this perhaps must be one of the best ones in city. The hotel has beautiful grounds(could be maintained better) & made me feel having breakfast in one of those back yards(mix of rustic & modern), the service, and breakfast spread was simply great especially the local stuff , The people out there were extremely cheerful & helpful and that made difference to me. The common areas and restaurants also need a redo. Room was comfortable for me but they could add the morning amenities etc which are useful for a business traveler.

This is a definitely a fine property for a short stay...

Room Tip: rooms with Garden view above 2nd floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel has amazing grounds where you can wander and unwind away from the hustle and bustle of Varanasi.
The gardens at the rear of the hotel are very well maintained and beautiful. They even have their own vegetable garden at the rear.

The hotel itslef is getting a little old, but it is well maintained and clean. The maintenance does its best to retain the old charm of the building
Rooms are comfortable and clean.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
Food is excellent

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear would have very pleasant garden views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai Indian
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This palace converted hotel continues to be the best hotel in Varanasi. The garden is beautiful but could have been maintained better... some of the roses are withering. The Lotus aquarium is empty.
The rooms are good...but amnities continue n=be missing ...like shoe shine, dental care set etc.
We reached late for Lunch after the buffet was removed. But the staff, especially Ajay were helpful and gave good food very fast.
Break fast buffet was quite good...caring staff... the odd thing is a fltuist sitting in the open courtyard of the rsturant and playing flute with no one listening. Inside the resturant the music system was playing some western music.
Sight Cat in the resturant is not good..Especially superstious people feel bad seeing a cat that too in the early morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank plpalani
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, March 29, 2013

Greetings from the city of the temples!!

At the outset please acknowledge my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and not been able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards.

This is small note to assure that I have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the room amenities, lotus aquarium & visibility of cat from our restaurant. The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Accommodations Manager & Executive Housekeeper, and promise to take corrective actions at our end.

I am glad to note your appreciation for the restaurant associate who has been complimented on your behalf.

It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.

We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi.

I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

T 91 542 666 0001 F 91 542 250 1343
D 91 542 666 0011 M 91 9044000551
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is wonderful. It is set in magnificent grounds. I have absolutley no complaints to make at all about this hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and I slept very well after over 28hr of travelling.
The traditional bar-b-que restaurant outside was brilliant and the recommendations made bythe waiters hit the spot. The service and attentive nature of the staff were better than expected - more like what you get from the upmarket Taj hotels in the group.
Overall a great stay and I would certainly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, March 30, 2013

D +91-542-666 0011 M +91-9044000551