“Fantastic stay - amazing hotel”

The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi
Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Varanasi
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay - amazing hotel”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is wonderful. It is set in magnificent grounds. I have absolutley no complaints to make at all about this hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and I slept very well after over 28hr of travelling.
The traditional bar-b-que restaurant outside was brilliant and the recommendations made bythe waiters hit the spot. The service and attentive nature of the staff were better than expected - more like what you get from the upmarket Taj hotels in the group.
Overall a great stay and I would certainly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, March 30, 2013

D +91-542-666 0011 M +91-9044000551

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Turkish first
Provincetown MA
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Spent just one night here. The pluses were the beautiful grounds and pool area, the service, and breakfast, but the hotel really needs a total update. We stayed in an executive suite which was sparsely and too-simply furnished. The common areas and restaurants also need a redo. This is a fine property for a short stay but really needs a major financial investment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service.
Also this is a small note to assure that I have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the upgration of products, the same has been duly shared with the team and we promise to take corrective actions at our end.
I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

T 91 542 666 0001 F 91 542 250 1343
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A large and splendid hotel for a long or short stay set in large gardens with pool. Everything of a high quality. Welcoming and helpful staff. Excellent Indian speciality al a carte restaurant; breakfast and lunch/evening buffets also good. Lots of nice touches - like a coffee lounge (although such weak coffee!) and a flautist plaing in the outside breakfast are.
Beautiful rooms, but wifi charged for and nothing inexpensive.

Room Tip: Expect high quality and complain if it's not right.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Gateway hotel is near the city center of Varanasi not far away from the Ganges river.The hotel is surrounded by beatifull gardens.The room was comfortable.The staff at the front desk worked slowly, the service at the restaurant was also slowly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
Please also accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the slow services of our reception & restaurant. This is a small note to assure you that I have shared your feedback with my team and we do realize that the sensitivity of associates towards the guest needs, requires focus and to be included in the training sessions and we also ensures that same incident must not be repeated again in future. It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and services in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels and we would like to assure you that all steps will be taken to ensure non-recurrence. I do hope this incident doesn't become a deterrent to you to use our services at our hotel in future.
We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Located in nice grounds in reasonably quiet surroundings the hotel building was not that visually appealing .Rooms are practical but a little bit on the tired side with old fashioned key locks. Main restaurant service and food quality was poor although the speciality Indian restaurant food and service was the opposite ,very good. Overall it was ok for a night ,I would not want to stay longer.

Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant dinning experience at our Indian Speciality restaurant - "Varuna".
Please also accpet my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to adverse experience at our coffee shop. This is small note to assure that we have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to our coffee shop & product upgradations and same has been duly shared with the team and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel itself is well-situated and attractive, although the rooms need updating and better maintenance. Service was, on the whole, polite and friendly. However, check-in of our group of 23 was total chaos and restaurant service very slow indeed even when it was just for a group of 2 or 4 people unless one had the buffet, which offered only mediocre food.

Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. Please also acknowledge my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and not been able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards.This is small note to assure that I have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the slow services at the restaurant & quality of food, the same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Food & Beverage Manager & Executive Chef and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
Dublin
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on bed and breakfast. Rooms were good - what you would expect for this class of hotel. Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice. The hotel is outside the city, so you need to use a taxi or the hotel transport.
We booked trips morning and evening through the hotel agent. Not the cheapest - but the planning was superb. There were 4 of us and we had the same guide on both occasions. He was a native of Varanasi and loved his city and knew it very well. Nothing was any trouble as far as he was concerned and the trips on the Ganges were awesome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends