“A nice place to stay”
Review of Uma Guest House

Uma Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Varanasi
Uma Guest House
Ranked #93 of 230 Varanasi B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've been to this place last month, for 3 days. The family is very pleasant and always available for anything. Rooms are clean and nice, close to the ganga river.About the monkeys we haven't seen any, but you have to be careful, anyway the family will rremind it you everytime. Greetings from France boss and take care hope you feel better after your falling in the stairs.

Room Tip: Les chambres sur le rooftop sont très agréables même si les escaliers sont quand même bien raide. De...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've been staying at Uma Guest House in Varanasi for a bit more than a week. I was surprised to see some bad comments about it today, since my experience here has been very positive. So I will focus on my experience rather than on the comments, since everyone can have its own views of what a "good" or "bad" guest house is.

During my stay, the staff has been very friendly and helpful, The rooms are very nice and clean, with a good price, and there is a homie ambience that made me and my girlfriend feel really comfortable. Staying at Uma Guest House has been equivalent to being in touch with the neighbours, the children living in the next building, running kites with them, watching the neighbour training his pigeons in the sky, having nice conversations, enjoying Diwali festival with the staff in the terrace, and other nice experiences.

Uma is not a luxurious guest house, or a hotel, it is a nice place with a very local ambience that gave us the chance to feel integrated to Varanasi's life, meet nice people and stay in a place that connects you with India more than any other hostel where we've stayed.

I am sure that, with an open mind and cultural understanding, anyone can have a beautiful experience in Uma Guest House.

Sincerely
Stefan

Room Tip: The room on the top with the very big window is amazing and worth its price (around 350Rs).
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank opstefan
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Bohlu the manager is delightful to talk to and caters to every need all you need to do is ask. His family and employees are very friendly also. Uma's is set in the Old City in a great location and close proximity to the ghats and other great restaurants. Their are plenty of facilities available such as train tickets, boat trips and yoga through Raju just around the corner. The room we had was perfect with a bathroom and balcony but the real jewel is the rooftop for some peace and quiet and a view of the Ganges. A breeze is always blowing and the sky is filled with kites every afternoon.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank chapmanaaron
Reviewed March 2, 2013

before i went there, i did, of course, read the reviews on tripadvisor and I already felt a bit uneasy because fo some very negative comments on Uma. Unfortunately Varanasi is very crowded at the moment and the hotels I contacted were already booked out. So I hoped the best and made a reservation at Uma On the phone they offered me a single room for 350 per night. but when I arrived and wanted to verify the price, the manager told me that the rate for the room is 500 Rp. As it was already late I felt desperate enough to stay. When he showed me the room, there was an elderly man, apparently an employee, sleeping on the bed, the manager yelled at him and sent him off the room. The floor was dusty and dirty, the bed sheets mucky and in the common bathroom I found interesting little worms on the ground. There was no way talking reasonably to the manager. It would have been easy for him to get the room cleaned and the sheet changed, but he simply refused to do so. As I told him frankly that under these conditions I won't stay the 4 nights I had booked in anvanced, he became very nasty. Next morning at about 8.00 clock somebody banged at my door and wanted to know at what time I would be leaving as there were new guests, who would like to move into the room.

I find it just incredible how a place like this treats its customers and apparently gets away with it.

Beware of Uma Guest house

1  Thank denmarkpete
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I came to this guest house under the pretence of its great reviews on Trip Advisor but it turned out to be a [--]. I arrived there after struggling through crowded alleyways filled with festival attendees. The owner made no effort to assist with navigating through the streets to his inn/home. Instead, he called me telling me how he had turned away several potential guests and wanted to know if I was still coming. I had called the previous evening to book and sent him an SMS with my passport details to reserve the room. At that time, he never mentioned anything about the difficulty of finding his place nor the crowds. When I arrived, the owner, knowing I had battled pedestrian traffic for almost an hour, demanded a photocopy of my passport and visa. He didn't have a scanner or photocopier like all the other hotels/guesthouses I had stayed at prior. And he instead put the onus on me to go find a photocopier and provide such documentation. The room was dark and dank and the power went out 15 minutes upon arrival. Electricity didn't return until the morning. Although near Meer Ghat, the hotel is LOUD. I had to use ear plugs just to fall asleep since there were crazed wild dogs barking constantly since 11pm. In the early morning, there is lots of yelling below from neighbourhood children. Plus there's no view of the river, even from the rooftop. The bathroom is a shared squat toilet (hole in the ground) and the shower looked mouldy. I wouldn't stay here, even if you're desperate. I left the next day at 7am, after a sleepless night. I found a proper hotel with a private bathroom for 400 rupees more. My booking at Uma Guest House was 800 rupees. Out of all 11 of the guesthouses and hotels I've stayed at in India, this was one of the worst!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed few days in Uma, it's run by a nice family, you fell comfortable with them. Boloo take great care of your needs and gave us good advice during our time in Vanarasi.
They have few really clean rooms and a nice roof top with monkeys

Reviewed January 27, 2013

we stayed 5 days , in this cheap guest house . You stay with a familly , you can fly kite on the roof and bolou has a very good social skill , makes you feel relax . you can also book train or bus from here .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple