“Fantastic room, good rooftop restaurant, shame about the management and location”
Review of Mishra Guest House

and 1 more site!
Mishra Guest House
Ranked #130 of 210 Varanasi B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The room I stayed in, 203, has a wonderful view of the Ganga, both through the windows and the balcony. Large room, incl TV and AC if you want to pay for it, and fine bathroom.
The guest house is situated in some back allies near to the burning Ghat. As a solo female traveler, this was a big downside. Basically I would be walked home each night by my friend as I didn't really feel safe, especially considering during my stay I heard of a case where a girl was mugged around the corner.
The guest house has a curfew, 10:30pm which isn't uncommon in India, however when I rang to say that I would be late that night, as I had some celebrations with friends I was told that is ok.
When I arrived very late, and rang the bell, the manager/(owner?) basically stood there for 5 minutes giving me grief, leaving me standing in the street before reluctantly letting me in. After this incident he was quite rude and unfriendly for the next few days, so I checked out and into a new guesthouse, closer to the Main Ghat, without the hassle of the winding, dark allies, and where the staff made you feel welcome, no matter what time you arrived.
I stayed at 3 guest houses in Varanasi, and generally there are positives and negatives for each of them.
I wont be staying at Mishra again, because I realised there were better places in better locations, you just need the time without baggage, to walk around and look at a few.

Room Tip: 203 was a nice BIG room, quoted at $800 INR, but if you are staying 4 + days, and no AC ask for your...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 25, 2013

There were some things I liked about this hotel but overall my experience here just wasn't good. The positives: the location is near to the burning ghat (which could also be a negative), the room was clean, good views from the rooftop and friendly staff. The negatives: food poisoning from the rooftop restaurant (I didn't eat anywhere else at this point so I'm pretty sure it was from their food), bugs in the room, and bad laundry service. They dry the washed clothes over the rails of the hotel so they smell so bad like the smoke from the burning ghat if the wind is blowing that way. My clothes stunk like it until I washed them again. Overall, it was a very cheap place but just not worth even the low price. I'm sure there are better places for the same price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Since I was a foreign student in India, I was on a budget, so I was looking for some cheap hostel/hotel. I could only go to Varanasi for a weekend because of school, but I didn't book any accomodation in advance, although it was during Kumba Mela, and people told me, Varanasi could be full because of many pilgrims going to Allahabad. When I arrived, I went to check out some popular hostels bet they were all full, and i only found expensive accomodations with no view. Luckily I met a couple from Slovakia, who told me about it and they were looking for Mishra so I went where they went. I was tired and my goal was to find a roof above my head so when I entered Mishra and they offered me a single room with balcony to the Ganges, I promptly accepted it. It was only 300 rs but it was very basic. The room was clean, but the walls weren't in good condition. From the small balcony I had a great view on the river and I really loved the atmosphere. The staff was excellent, very friendly and they spoke good English. I was happy with the internet room too and they offered cheaper boating than other hotels. My friends, who had visited Varansi before me, told me, they paid 100-150 rs per person per hr for boating, Mishra Guest house only asked for 50 rs. I did boating in the morning and in the evening too. Their restaurant is on the top, and first I was skeptical about it, because of the very spartan hotel, but it turned out to be a nice surprise. I had to wait for an hour because everything was made fresh, but the food was fenomenal. I don't remember the name but it was very spicy chicken and it was really fantastic!! The view from the restaurant was also beautiful, the guest house is very close to the river. Next day I went to eat to Brown Bread Bakery, because of the hype, it was advertized everywhere, but they turned out to be a big disappointment, so I came back to Mishra again to eat something before I leave and their restaurant amazed me again with their spicy food and dessert. Thank you very much!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cirmicica
Hampi, India
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Mishra guest house is in a great location, only 2 minutes down hill to the ganges... and great for taking a long walk along all the major ghats. the main burning ghat is no more than 10 minutes away .
views from the roof top restaurant is also a bonus , although the food and general service and time for meals was very dissapointing !!!! would reccomend only rice dishes, breads and the baked beans on toast. wifi works well in the restaurant also. hot tip for early morning eaters this restaurant varies inopening time and generally willnot serve until after 10 am.
basic cleanish rooms , western toilets, cold showers, fanor air con, comfy beds,most with balconies and views of the ganges, the higher you are the more you pay .we payed 400 rps fora dbl witha slight view, state how much your budget is and they will show you whats available" no bargaining policy applies or you will be asked to leave.
mishra staff are friendly enough,and can organise a small tour of the basic temples free of charge , but leave a little tip for jeppi. also they can arrange boat trips fpr 50 rps per person, but do not expect an english speaking boat man.
all in all good experience for budget accomodation,would stay here again .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a basic, but very clean room, which was exactly as we had asked, and for a very reasonable price.

The staff are friendly and helpful- we were offered a free tour, which we took up, and found really interesting (we gave a small tip), and the guide is able to answer any questions. No hassling to go into any shops or give donations either, which is refreshing in Varanasi. The hotel can also arrange a boat trip for cheaper than you can negotiate with the boatmen directly, which is great if you can't face the haggling.

We also asked and got some good advice about how much certain items (food, sandals) should cost, as we had just arrived in India and weren't sure.

Overall we have had a good stay and would come back, although perhaps we would choose air-con, as in June the fan rooms can get a bit steamy!

A nice touch is that when you check out, they will open a room for you so you can shower and clean up, for example before an evening train journey. They will also store your luggage for the day for free.

Many nice touches to a budget hotel that make Mishra good value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

So glad we ended up here, as it had a 3-tier room price system, so something for everyone, depending on your budget and what you want in your room (the expensive rooms having a shower and a balcony with a great view of the ganges (and maybe a tv? Can't quite remember!), the cheaper rooms having a bucket shower and a window which opened into the inside of the hotel (the hotel has a central atrium). We opted for the cheapest option, but the room was fine, the water was hot and the staff genuinely helpful. Not only did they give us a map and talk us through the different things to see in the city, they also told us which scams to look out for and where (there are MANY in Varanasi!!!).
The hotel arranges boat trips every day, which cost 50 rupees, which are the same as those offered up and down the river front by scammers trying to charge 6 times this. They also arrange a free/pay-as-you-like walking tour which leaves daily from the hotel. When we headed to the university, we asked the reception staff how much we should pay for a rickshaw. Not only did he tell us how much we should get it for, he came with us and negotiated the price with the rickshaw driver, who had originally quoted more than 3 times what we ended up paying. The restaurant on the top floor has spectacular views and the food is good. There are computers on the ground floor to use theinternet (for a half-hourly fee). The hotel is very close to the burning ghat, so quite handy if you have a bad sense of geography, as everyone knows where the ghat is when you're asking for directions back late at night when the powercuts kick in.
We were originally booked in at a different hotel, but ended up here after the hotel that we originally booked for tried to pull a "we've no record of your booking, but you can stay at our sister hotel" trick on us (the "sister hotel" in question of course being farther away, dirtier and more expensive, and a scam many people I met with had experienced touring India!) . Very pleased that we ended up here as it turned out to be cheaper than the hotel we had originally booked in for anyway!
The hotel is in the old city, so might not be suitable for those with disabilities/wheelchairs or those with children needing pushchairs as the alleyways by the hotels in this area are very narrow with lots of steps and slopes, and rickshaws can't get near, but for us (backpacking, staying for 3 nights) it was a very good experience overall.

Room Tip: The first cheap room we looked at had a funny smell, so if you are on a budget, ask to see another r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Perpignan, France
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although this is a reasonably priced and reasonably clean hotel by Varanasi standards, the attitude of the staff was such that I decided to leave after 2 nights of my 8 night stay in this city that I have visited at least 10 times. I still give it an average score, as it may have only been a clash of personalities, and the fact that I know where to go for a better stay. I moved to the very nearby Kashi Guest House (not listed on Trip advisor). More basic but more friendly, and just as well situated - right behind the burning ghat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo