“Good stay”
Review of Aashray

and 1 more site!
Aashray
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had a very good stay with this family. They were very kind and attentive. The room was nice and confortable. The location was not as much interesting for me, because I was more interested in staying more close to the gaths and there is some traffic in Varanasi. If location near the Gaths is not a point of concern, this is a very good and confortable option for staying in Varanasi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Aashray

Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you are going to visit Varanasi, then you really must stay here. We spent a month travelling around India. For Varanasi I found it difficult to locate a central point to base ourselves. I wasn't prepared for how large this city is.
I found 'Happy Kamal' on trip advisor and decided to try a homestay for a change.
Good decision - in fact, our stay was a highlight of the whole trip. I would recommend booking a morning Ganges boat trip and the River Arti. Also the city tour. Everything was explained and we left with a deeper understanding of this incredible city.
I would also suggest booking dinner here, the food was delicious and again everything explained. This was true hospitality and gave me a greater appreciation of North Indian food, this beats any restaurant.
If you only have a short time in Varanasi yet want to experience as much as possible, and to really understand it, then you must stay here.
Happy Traves!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Looperlaura
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Varanasi left us pretty disappointed, and exhausted! Our stay with The Kapur's at their wonderful home was by far the best part, and definitely the best food we had during our three weeks in India. I would highly recommend staying here if you want to experience a side of Varanasi that isn't ruined by touts! Great people, great food, made us feel very welcome!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Mr & Mrs. Kapur saying that you arrive as a stranger and leave as a friend rings very true. We were welcomed into their home during Diwali and invited to partake in the family's ceremony and prayers. It was a wonderful way to experience the "real" India. Mrs. Kapur is an excellent cook and we enjoyed many wonderful meals at her table. She kindly shared her recipes with us. Everything in her home is freshly made, often with grains and vegetables grown on thir farm. I'm normally not a vegetarian but her meals were so delicious and varied that I didn't miss the meat.
Our room was located above their living quarters and was very clean and comfortable. The homestay is located off the busy main street and within walking distance (about 20 min) from the main ghats.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I travelled all over North and South India and experienced all types of accomodation facilities. Reading excellent reviews on trip advisor, i booked to stay with the Kapurs hoping for a wholesome, true Indian traditional stay. The service they provided was everything I was hoping for and more. Their home is welcoming, clean and humble. Kamal posseses a wealth of knowledge across all topics that is not even common knowledge amongst tour guides. Not only does her offer his wisdom but he also offers a range of tours that are more detailed than the generic tours through beautiful Varanasi. Mrs Kapurs n incredible cook and a loving mother her treats her guests as if they were her own children. The best indian food I ate was prepared and cooked by her and her lovely staff. The Kamals are a very open and friendly couple who made me feel right at home during my stay.

Would definitely reccommend this style of accomodation to anyone wanting to experience true indian traditions and culture in a lovely, clean environment.

Can' wait to visit the Kapurs again, by far the best accomodation I experienced.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kerrie_Stocker
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We arrived as Strangers, and we left as Forever Friends!!! This is the famous motto of the Kapur family, and it is so very true. We were welcomed into their warm and lovely home, and were treated as their long lost beloved children. The room and beds were very comfortable and clean, and the SHOWER was by far the BEST we had on our entire 3-week journey! We stayed with the Kapur family for two nights in mid-November, 2012. Mr. Kapur took care of our every need. There was a taxi waiting at the airport when we landed, we had personal guided tours of the morning and evening Ganges events, and all the amazing spiritual and historic sites of Varanasi. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU STAY WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! And Mrs. Kapurs food is not to be missed! Her breakfasts were scrumptious, healthy and varied. We spent hours in their living room visiting with friends and family and other lucky guests. Do not miss the opportunity to be hosted by this truly magnificent family. We fell in love with them, and we cannot wait to return!!! We are hoping they'll come visit us in San Francisco some time soon. oxoxox LOVE 4-eva Nancy and Cheri :)

Room Tip: upstairs room above the kitchen, very quiet, well ventilated, private bath, very comfy twin beds (ca...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed with the Kapurs for 2 nights and was so glad I did! The Kapur family were delightful from the moment I stepped through their door to parting - somewhat sadly - for my next destination. They were unfailingly friendly and always ready to provide information and assistance. The room was private and beautifully maintained and the home is close enough to the main action of the astonishing city of Varanasi, but far enough away to be a retreat to comfort and quiet. And last - but certainly by no means least - is the wonderful home cooking of Mrs Kapur... worth the price of the stay alone! If you want a break from the "hotels and airports" routine and a bit of homely TLC, Indian style - then look no further!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo