“Varanasi's Left Bank”

Ranked #23 of 214 Varanasi B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Varanasi's Left Bank”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This guest house is nicely situated with a view of the Ganges but being slightly away from the city centre, it is free fromm most of the noise. A 10 minute walk will get you to the Assi Ghat anyway, where the activity begins.

It is slightly on the pricey side for what is offered but the management are pleasant and helpful and the rooms are bright, clean and spacious. The food on the rooftop restaurant is reasonable too.

You will need protection against the mosquitoes but although the small moths that come out at night can be a nuisance, they are harmless.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms offer more daylight.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jamescollenette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed here 4 nights in early November, a great time to go. If you would like to experience India and not a fancy hotel, this is the one for you. I chose this hotel after reading the reviews and was absolutely happy with my choice. The rooms were basic but clean. The hotel is family run, and as I was a woman traveling alone they looked after me like I was family. I arranged to meet friends there and we had the best rooms of the house; they were the highest with the Ganges view. The "view" is from the walkway in front of your room so I wouldn't say it was a necessity to stay there but do reserve one with air conditioning. It wasn't warm but some people there were hot at night in their rooms. There are many things that set this place apart in my travels around India. I stayed in 4 and 5 star places the rest of the time and Rahul was my favorite, by far. The best part was the rooftop terrace which had free wifi (you had to ask them to turn it on). But the views! This hotel is at the end of the ghats so it was quiet at night, but we still felt like we were right in the middle of things. We were in a neighborhood, a little higher than most of the surrounding buildings, and got to watch Indian life lived out around us daily. The restaurant did a great job. They use purified water and the food was good, if a little too spicy for my taste. For the tiny kitchen they had a good sized menu. We had breakfast there every morning with the best chai I found in India, a plain omelette, and fantastic whole grain bread with jam. We spent evenings on the rooftop, having a beer, chatting with people from around the world and people watching the neighborhood. Our hosts arranged dawn and evening rowboat rides on the Ganges. We merely had to walk down the hill to hop on the boat. We informed them of our arrival time and they had a car waiting for us. They arranged a tuk tuk tour of the major temples, and a visit to a silk factory and the hard sell silk shop. I bought three lengths of fabric, two for salwar kameez and one sari which they custom made in one day and delivered to our hotel. Warning: if you ask if something is silk they assure you it is. It is silky! My one salwar is cotton, the others were a synthetic. I didn't care, they were impeccably tailored, fit like a glove, and I knew I was probably only wearing them in India. And all for $140. We brought rubber balls and jacks and had fun passing them out to neighborhood kids and teaching them to play jacks. The garden was lovely and peaceful, but I couldn't tear myself away from the rooftop. The pictures online of my room were accurate. The seat broke off my toilet on the last day. When I told them they immediately went and checked on it but it wasn't an easy fix. I was leaving that day so didn't care. there was some construction going on, they are adding rooms, but without power tools it was more interesting than annoying. My Indian friends were appalled that I wasn't staying at the nice hotels in the Cantonment. OK. We didn't have a pool, but the views and slice of Indian life were more than worth the trade off. I will load as many pictures as I can of what we observed from the rooftop. If you are ok with basic, clean rooms, nice hosts, and a real peek at Indian life this is the place. By the way, my bill for transfers to and from the airport (30-45 minutes), two boat rides, tuk tuk tour, 3 breakfasts and dinners, 2 beers a night totaled less than $30. That's not a misprint. I want this family to succeed, they do great work. PS If you have a couple extra days they can arrange a trip to Kathmandu for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Caribbeanfrequenter
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Rahuls might be a short exotic walk away from Assad ghat, but then youre away from the touts, and if you dont like dusty roads take a tuk. this place is nice. very nice interior rooms, clean and nice bathrooms too, large shower basin!, (we had a deluxe), roof terrace w great view (over the extremely polluted Ganga) , mr Joyce on the roof serves you what you need, its decent food, but hey, not topnotch, the wifi works, all in all everyone is very friendly.
Beware they're still expanding in terms of rooms, but this didn't bother us much, but expect some hammering and material laying around. but by next season it'll be very nice w additional rooms on top. the just finished topcornerroom is very nice, we peeked in. owners helped us w taxi, boattrip (skip it, or at least agree to cut down on the onehour Vegas-arti, as another reviewer nicely put it) and whatnot, as usual. Maybe slightly overpriced this place, but that is up to you. we were just glad to be as far away from the noisy main ghats as possible + the polluted main areas, but still you'll hear chanting etc at night. bring your earplugs as everywhere else in India.
Varanasi itself I wouldn't brag too much about, its extremely dirty, the romance is long gone. At some point the hotel-owners should not only pick up the rupees, but contact the tourist board if such things exist, or hire people to pick up the garbage. It's everywhere, and they might as well start now. Until then I won't return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christianl e
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Rahul's Guest House is only a 10mins walk away from Assi Ghat, in a quiet Varanasi neighborhood right on the Ganges. The family who owns the place bought the land about twenty years ago and started with two rooms only, saving the money they earned and adding room after room as the years went by. Right now they are also working on a new rooftop restaurant, which will make the look over Varanasi even more spectacular. The ongoing work is about as much in the background as it can be, and (almost) no disturbance at all. Rooms are from very basic to quite fancy. If you can spare the money, splash out on the corner suite. Best value are the basic rooms. They also arrange boat trips on the Ganges at dawn and dusk and will arrange a taxi to pick you up from the airport (which at 750 Rps is not a bargain).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank boardshorts48
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2012

After a horrible start in Delhi, my sister and I were relieved to be in Varanasi. The staff were so nice and welcoming and the rooms were great! The food was also pretty good but it always takes a while so I'm assuming they make everything fresh. They also cook with bottled water which I think is important in Varanasi! The location was a little bit outside of town but it was more than okay because it's quiet unlike the city center. We also got to see a lot more than what other tourists would see if they did stay in the center.Just make sure that when you book tours through them that you have an english speaking guide. We booked the evening boat tour and the guy couldn't answer any of our questions which was disappointing. Other than that I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kai81212
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our stay here was an okay experience. the accommodation was about a 10minute walk from the Assi Ghat and at least half an hour walk from the main Ghats. This walk however was a good way to experience many of the Ghats on the way.
The area around the guesthouse is quite poor and you will see quite a lot of poverty around there, this sadly made the place seem not as good as it could be. During our stay there was a lot of work being done so maybe this will help improve that feeling.
The room we had was pretty good. It had a spacious bed and bathroom. The shower basin was huge and deep so the floor stayed dry. This was good compare to most guesthouses where the basin is just a floor. The room was also clean and air conditioned. At night time the outside light is surrounded by thousands of flying insects.
A real surprise and disappointment was the fact that we were forced out of our room at exactly 10 check out time. One of the staff was banging on our door and waiting for us to get out. This was not a very friendly way of asking your guests to leave. Especially when most people are good at leaving at the correct time.
The breakfast was okay but quite limited for the complimentary one. We had a lunch here when we arrived and the curry was again okay, definitely I not the best I have had.
Finally, apart from the above incident the staff were helpful and organised a good sunrise boat tour for us. They also told us about a lot of the sights we could see.
Overall an okay stay but definitely room for improvement.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cstone12
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was a little concerned that the Rahul might be a bit too far from the "action". True, it is a good 45 minute walk to the main centre of the ghats. But it's easy and cheap enough to get a cycle rickshaw down if you want. On the plus side, the Rahul's location is quiet and not flooded with touts and tourists. I really enjoyed walking through the little streets behind the guesthouse and getting an insight into how many people live in this stragest of cities. And the view from the rooftop eating area is great. Most of the rooms look right across the Ganga. They are quite small, but comfortable and really clean with a good wi-fi connection. The management were exceptionally firendly and helpful, too, and spoke really good English.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo