“A Step back in Time”

Nadesar Palace Varanasi
Norfolk, Virginia
“A Step back in Time”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

A splendid home turn hotel with just 10 guest rooms. From beginning to end the staff did everything possible to make it a pleasant stay. The room was comfortable and we had a huge balcony at our disposal. The reading room and other guest areas were so beautifully decorated. The hotel allows no one other than the registered guests to dine on premises and dine we did.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, March 19, 2014

Greetings from the city of temples!!

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

Fax: +91 542 2501343

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and found this hotel just wonderful.
This is a reflection of British colonial days with modernised features for ultimate comfort. This is managed by Taj hotels, and it shows.
Set in 10 acres of beautiful grounds, it is so peaceful amid hectic Varanasi.
The rooms are so comfortable and huge. We stayed in one of the historical suites named after previous guests (we had Lord Mounbatten suite, next door was the Queen Elizabeth suite etc).Our suite had a sitting room, dining room, bedroom with 4 poster bed, and huge bathroom. All were sumptuously and tastefully furnished. Nothing was overlooked, and all was clean and in tip top condition.
Sleep quality was about the best we have had in a hotel anywhere. The bathroom had a huge separate shower, roll top bath, and all the facilities you could ask for.
Staff - from the entry to departure, all staff members were great. Always nearby, not obtrusive, well trained and responsive. Really so polite.
Dining was a treat - we dined by the pool in the evening. The food selection and standard are a cut above the rest.
Wifi - is charged, which I think is a bit of a negative - surely everyone has some form of internet accessible phone/computer/tablet when they travel so why not just build the wifi into the room rate? Charging separately just looks cheap.
This is an expensive place to stay, but with every cent in my opinion. As a great experience, I highly recommend the Nadesar Palace.

Room Tip: Try a historical suite - the Lord Mounbatten suite is great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

USA
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Nice place to stay away from the noise and chaos of the old town. Gated and secure. Shares the same entrance with the Taj Gateway Hotel. Nicely appointed suites. Excellent food. Organic garden on the grounds. Spa on site. Lovely staff and service. The only negatives are that we heard horns all night, but we were still able to sleep. And my husband and I got sick here with traveler's GI issues. We were fine for the prior 11 days in India at Oberoi hotels and by our 2nd day here we became ill. I emailed the hotel and asked if they use export quality water for the garden and they indicated that they use "fresh groundwater" to irrigate the organic garden. However, groundwater is still often contaminated for what foreigners can tolerate, especially in this area (Varuna basin, Ganges, etc). Something we ingested here was definitely not 100-percent hygienic. We did not eat raw foods at all, but I believe there was fresh mint in a drink. Also, peppers on the plate, etc. We never ate or drank outside the hotel, and used constant hand wipes and sanitizer while out, etc. Lovely welcome and departure at hotel, but come prepared just in case.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the City of the Temples!

At the outset please acknowledge my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay and not been able to come up to your expectations and live up to our own standards.

This is a small note to assure you that we have noted your feedback regarding the quality of water used to irrigate the gardens. For your reassurance the up keep and hygiene of our surroundings and work area is our first priority and we use portable water to clean all our crockery, cutlery and glassware and sanitized it before being used. Even the vegetables are chlorinated and sanitized as per the ISO 22000 guidelines.

It is our constant endeavor to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels. I and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.

We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by the Nadesar Palace Varanasi.

I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

New York
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a very special property. It's an experience unto itself. The decor is lovely, with many antiques and artwork, and the grounds are stunning. At check-in we were greeted with live music, refreshments, garlands and then introduced to our personal butler and the chef. Only guests may dine at the Nadesar Palace and the food is of very high quality. I had risotto one night and it was as good as any italian restaurant in New York.

Room Tip: Request a suite on an upper floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Berenice
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, February 27, 2014

Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2013

With only 10 rooms you have to feel spoiled. We stayed in the Persia room, where the Shah of Iran used to stay. Just luxurious. The service was impeccable. Love walking out of my room to be greeted with flute playing by a musician on the balcony. Very intimate hotel with lovely grounds and excellent staff.

Room Tip: There are only 10 rooms and they are all beautiful
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caryn D
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, December 29, 2013

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were given a royal welcome to this newly renovated boutique hotel that was a palace welcoming dignitaries and royalty for the past millennia!
All rooms are beautiful suites
Food is fabulous
Grounds are amazing
This is TRULY an oasis in Varanasi, quiet, beautiful, refined and relaxed!
The spa experience was also an very special experience from start to finish!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Varanasi is a fascinating yet chaotic city. The Nadesar Palace is a perfect haven, and one of the finest hotels I've ever had the pleasure to visit. The staff members, from the butlers to the restaurant to the spa, were exceedingly elegant and polite. The Palace has only ten rooms, and the service is completely personalized. The day I arrived, I enjoyed tea on the balcony while an accomplished flute player gave a personal concert. The menu at the restaurant is stellar - I opted for vegetarian entrees and everything was prepared to order. The bathroom featured a large claw-foot bathtub and modern marble shower stall. I would highly recommend that you meet the wonderful people in the Jiva Spa as well. I took a private yoga class and then enjoyed the Abisheka signature treatment, which includes bathing in purified water from the Ganges. I will never forget this hotel and the great sophistication of the people who work there.

Room Tip: You won't believe how quiet this property is, since it is on a large estate of beautiful gardens...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Theodore B
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, December 15, 2013