“Highlight of my trip - Perfect”

Nadesar Palace Varanasi
Rancho Mirage, California
“Highlight of my trip - Perfect”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I just returned from nearly a month in India. I spent the majority of time in Rajasthan and concluded the trip with 4 days in Varanasi. I did an enormous amount of reading, in advance, about The City of Light but still felt rather unprepared -- even a bit anxious -- about the destination as travelers' reactions/experiences vary so widely. I am very well-traveled and have pretty much covered the globe, always staying at 5-star properties that many here are familiar with. On this trip, for instance, I stayed at The Serai, Taj Lake Palace and Devi Garh, among others. But, no destination and no property -- in my personal option -- held a match to Varanasi OR Nadesar Palace. Both were simply extraordinary and I am SO happy that I had the chance to experience them at the END of my long trip -- an absolutely perfect conclusion.

Varanasi itself is kaleidoscopic; a true in-your-face, almost other-worldly immersion in Hindu culture. This is a destination that MUST be on anyone's short list of places to visit in the World... let alone, India.

And, then there's Nadesar Palace...

We're all different. I travel alone and appreciate luxury accommodations that offer a special sense of home, with intimacy and that singular level of service which not only comes from exceptional training, but also from a genuine desire to make guests feel truly cared for.

For me, Nadesar Palace and its entire staff exceeded in every way possible. It was quite likely the best hotel experience I have had, to-date.

As reported in other posts/reviews, the property is gorgeous. The infrastructure and grounds were immaculate. Varanasi is most definitely a chaotic place and being able to switch it off at the end of a long day lends balance to the entire experience. Once through the gates, one enters a quiet, beautiful, almost blissful postcard of a grand colonial past. The fact that the property has only 10 suites lends to an extremely personal and intimate environment that can't be replicated by larger properties regardless of their "star power".

Traveling solo, I didn't require a 4-room suite and stayed in the Bhutan Room on the second floor, which faced the Hindu temple on-site. Contrary to other opinions, I loved the fact that the Palace allowed local women and their children on-property to worship during a festival that was occurring at the time. My room was just lovely. Every evening a man played a bansuri flute on the balcony -- hushed, almost haunting music that was a perfect complement to the environment.

I must make one special and important call-out to Sumalya Sarkar, the Sous Chef at Nadesar Palace. Thank you SO much for your lovely cuisine. The food was exceptional... Especially the Lamb Chops Masala, which was not a menu item but was prepared as a special item for me. I loved it so much, that I asked if he would be so kind as to provide the recipe and prep tips. Not only did he oblige, but he also made himself available online -- after I returned home -- and answered a few questions, with helpful guidance. Now THAT'S what I call SERVICE! When was the last time you have ever had a luxury hotel's sous chef give you personal assistance in YOUR OWN kitchen? KUDOS and thanks so much, Sumalya! I am preparing them, yet again, this weekend.

Thanks, in fact, to you and ALL your associates at Nadesar Palace for making my stay forever memorable!

Only one criticism -- and I think it's an important one: The website. It absolutely does not do justice to the property. More photos and an improved gallery is needed to better capture this JEWEL of a hotel!

Someday, I will return -- And, I will most definitely look forward to that day!

Room Tip: The Bhutan Room was just perfect for a single traveler.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Chuck628
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Greetings from the city of temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I am also glad to note the positive experience with the Chef Sumalya especially who have been complimented on your behalf. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
DID: +91 542 6660011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
UK
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a lovely, intimate boutique hotel set in about 42 acres of land, a wonderful oasis of tranquillity to come back to after a fascinating but hectic day in Varanasi. It's elegantly appointed, tastefully furnished and very clean. We didn't feel as if we were staying in a hotel; it was more like we were honoured guests in a grand mansion! Location-wise it's only a short tut-tut ride into the inner city of Varanasi but the two are at opposing ends of a spectrum.

There are only 10 suites in the hotel. We were accommodated in the extremely spacious Queen Elizabeth Suite (so named because apparently the young queen was a guest here in 1961) which has a four-poster bed and enough rooms to lose our belongings in.

We went for a horse carriage ride round the estate with Nassim who imparted a pride and knowledge of the palace's history such that it brought the old days of the Maharaja to life. This is definitely worth doing if you have time.

Service is personal, friendly and very efficient. I felt like a Maharani! At times however the houseboys can be a bit overzealous in their quest for a tip and that was irritating.

The other slight downside is the restaurant's limited menu. However, there is an excellent Indian restaurant over at The Gateway (the Nadesar's sister hotel) nearby called the Varuna.

1 Thank jysh55
Greetings from the city of temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.This is small note to assure that I have noted your feedback pertaining to housekeeping associates & menu in restaurant. The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Operations Manager & Executive Chef, and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
DID: +91 542 6660011 I
Dublin
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in this fascinating city for three nights. The 'hotel' is outstanding; I have put it in inverted commas simply because in my view, staying here is an experience. Just check the people who have stayed here! I was none too well during my stay and the manager and staff could not have been kinder.
This former Maharaja's palace only has ten rooms and has been visited by the royalty and exalted of the world.
A truly wonderful experience

Room Tip: Try and avoid the room in the front. The Hindu temple across the road could wake you at 5am!
1 Thank RicMicDublin
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Greetings from the city of temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a small, boutique property operated by Taj Group with about ten spacious rooms. It has a beautiful grounds and the facility has a great deal of history. Queen Elizabeth and Philip stayed there as did Lord and Lady Mountbatten.
Our room was well appointed and very nice. Service was very good and the dinners were very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick L
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
nyc
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a charming, beautifully renovated, former palace of the maharaja of the region where numerous royal guests have stayed in the past. Your arrival and departure at the hotel are unforgettable. Have your camera ready. Service is impeccable. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms at the hotel and it was quite lovely. The spa is very nice and staff there, too, attentive and accommodating. There is a small temple on the premises and the priest holds an evening service with the ringing of the gong (a much smaller scale ceremony than the one in town on the banks of the Ganges). Breakfasts are relaxed, and delicious. Dinner was fairly expensive and fine, but not outstanding. We had one dinner at the next door Gateway hotel which was more moderate in price and quite good. Our last day we had a little time before we were being picked up to go to the airport and they offered us a carriage ride around the property. Being driven in a horse drawn carriage by a 3rd generation driver for the maharaja added to the uniqueness of the experience and place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starmom19
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Varanasi is an undeniably wonderful experience, for the spirit, soul and senses. However at the end of the day, if you wish to get away from the crowds, smells and noise then you can't go far wrong with the Nadesar Palace....

A small palace converted into a luxury boutique hotel, this place is a lovely find. 10 rooms, very personal and professional service and lots of character and lovely decor. Location is also excellent, close to the sights (by car) but very quiet and lovely secluded gardens.

Food is good (nothing too special) and air con in our room was more noisy than we would have liked, but overall a lovely and memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Greetings from the city of temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. We have also noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the noise of air-conditioning and same was duly shared with the team especially with the Chief Engineer and we promise to take corrective actions at our end.
I have also shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in one of the well appointed Historical Suites...we cannot say enough about this extraordinary boutique hotel. We do not know where the Taj group found the fantastic staff...good for them...as the service truly genuine.

The hotel sits on a property that would normally have a hotel with 150 rooms...sitting on such fantastic grounds gives the 10 room palace a very grand feel. We loved the carrige ride around the grounds...listening to classic Varanasi music...piping out speakers along side the entire route...WOW. Our carrige driver's grandfather and father were both carrige drivers for the maharaja...what a great story.

This property made our stay in Varanasi....Varanasi and the Nadesar Palace were the # 1 highlight of our 1 month Indian odyssey.

Room Tip: historic suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from the city of temples!!
We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!