“Fantastic family stay”

Ranked #11 of 213 Specialty Lodging in Varanasi
East London, South Africa
“Fantastic family stay”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Monu met us at the station and immediately we could feel a bond of warmth and friendship. My daughter jumped onto the back of his motorbike and the rest went by tuk tuk to his home. Colorful and bright. We spent two nights and three days here. Monu was our guide through Varanasi, he took us all along the Ganges River explaining about the different ghats. The Monsoon kept us dodging downpours but, this did not dampen our spirits as he took us for "the best apple pie in the world." We had supper that evening at his home, a lovely tasteful thali was served to his by his wife. Our days that followed saw us take a trip with Monu on the Ganges by boat, spending three hours listening to him explaining about the significance of the river and being witness to the activities taking place along its banks. One could only feel filled with awe at experiencing this. We visited a number of other landmarks, The Golden Temple being one of them. Monu was most helpful in arranging the cheapest flights for us for Jaipur to Goa and making sure about bookings at our other end. We arrived as strangers but I can truly say we left as friends. I have been in contact with him while traveling through India and I can highly recommend his guesthouse. Abrie Pepler, South Africa.

Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Abrie P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Varadero, Cuba
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Super Place!

Stayed here on many occasions, you just can't beat the family feel and atmosphere!

Mono is an amazing musician and he and his family do their utmost very best to satisfy your needs!

Really can't wait to go back and recommend this guest house very highly!

Room Tip: Stay Here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HootyORear
Paris, France
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Located at the very heart of the old city of Varanasi, near to any important place, what a peaceful stay I had at this family's guesthouse.... The owners are friendly, helpful... and French speaking, thank you Swhetank!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MattRimo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Varanasi is a tricky place when it comes to accomodation. Monu Family's guesthouse is a good enough option. The room was super basic, just a bed and a fan pretty much. The blanket looked as if it hasn't been cleaned ever, but Varanasi is so magical I didn't even bother. Location is really really good, you just need to memorise how to find it in that maze of narrow alleys. Would I stay there again? Probably not, but it was good enough!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BernardoAraujo
Wieliczka, Poland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very nice lodge with very intresting painted colorfull interior. Very clean, very helpfull stuff and very good location just 200-300meters from Man Mandir and Dasaswamedh Ghat. The only problem is to reach Guest House during holidays when roads are close and you need to walk few minutes from taxi dropoff place. Heartly recommend if you wanna be close to Ganga River and heart of Old Varanasi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dehradun, India
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had a lovely stay with the Monu family. The guesthouse is impeccably clean, and the rooms are beautiful and private. After the crazy days running around in Varanasi, this was a wonderful retreat for us to relax and have some quiet. Also, the wifi is good and works in your room!!! The family is funny, warm and incredibly helpful (they helped us book an extra night at a neighbors guesthouse because they were full). We would definitely stay here again and wish the family success and happiness! Thank you for everything!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I first happened upon this lovely place in 2008 when I was planning to stay in Varanasi for a few days for my birthday. I had a relatively new guide book and in it was a tiny review saying how sweet and lovely it was..I also wanted to study Hindi and there were lessons on site. I planned to stay a couple of nights to see how it was and then if I did nt feel comfortable to spend my birthday down near the ghats.
When I arrived there was great excitement in the household as it was their first review in a guide book..the taxi driver didn't want to leave me there and As is the custom in Varanasi was suggesting other 'better' places. But as soon as I was welcomed into the house I knew this was the place for me.
Monu is quite an amazing young man..and back then he was even younger. He has such wisdom for his years and is very devoted to making the guest house the best it can be. is English ir really excellent and over the years we have had many philosophical discussions over a cup of his Mums lovely chai!
Monus mum and Dad Madhu and Indu are lovely people and although their English may not be as fluent as their son they are lovely to talk to and spend time with. I learnt so much about Varanasi from them both and Indu made me some delicious food.I really felt on my first stay like one of the family and if you really want to immerse yourself in Indian life then this is the place to do it....if you are just sight seeing and going out all the time then you will miss a lot of this.It depends what you are looking for in India.
I ended up staying for much longer than I had planned and would have stayed longer if I could! For me I like to stay in one place in India for a while and really get to know it and I felt this was possible here. As a solo female traveller I always felt safe and can honestly say thanks to this family's good advice I have never been ripped off in Varanasi. I also met a wonderful Baba with Madhu whose kind sweet smile and amazing energy I will never forget.
If you want to really experience the visceral reality of old Town Varanasi alongside its other worldly beauty I would definitely recommend Monu Paying Family Guest House.
I have returned a few times now and was here for one month in 2010 and every time I leave I shed a few tears..this family go that extra mile to help you have appositive experience of India if you are open to it and they are very generous and kind too.
I could write so much more about this beautiful hidden gem but I will save it for my blog!,,

Room Tip: I always have had the big room on the roof...it is really nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo