“Wonderful hospitality and Authentic Varanasi experience”

and 1 more site!
Monu Family Paying Guest House
Ranked #12 of 220 Specialty Lodging in Varanasi
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hospitality and Authentic Varanasi experience”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I first happened upon this lovely place in 2008 when I was planning to stay in Varanasi for a few days for my birthday. I had a relatively new guide book and in it was a tiny review saying how sweet and lovely it was..I also wanted to study Hindi and there were lessons on site. I planned to stay a couple of nights to see how it was and then if I did nt feel comfortable to spend my birthday down near the ghats.
When I arrived there was great excitement in the household as it was their first review in a guide book..the taxi driver didn't want to leave me there and As is the custom in Varanasi was suggesting other 'better' places. But as soon as I was welcomed into the house I knew this was the place for me.
Monu is quite an amazing young man..and back then he was even younger. He has such wisdom for his years and is very devoted to making the guest house the best it can be. is English ir really excellent and over the years we have had many philosophical discussions over a cup of his Mums lovely chai!
Monus mum and Dad Madhu and Indu are lovely people and although their English may not be as fluent as their son they are lovely to talk to and spend time with. I learnt so much about Varanasi from them both and Indu made me some delicious food.I really felt on my first stay like one of the family and if you really want to immerse yourself in Indian life then this is the place to do it....if you are just sight seeing and going out all the time then you will miss a lot of this.It depends what you are looking for in India.
I ended up staying for much longer than I had planned and would have stayed longer if I could! For me I like to stay in one place in India for a while and really get to know it and I felt this was possible here. As a solo female traveller I always felt safe and can honestly say thanks to this family's good advice I have never been ripped off in Varanasi. I also met a wonderful Baba with Madhu whose kind sweet smile and amazing energy I will never forget.
If you want to really experience the visceral reality of old Town Varanasi alongside its other worldly beauty I would definitely recommend Monu Paying Family Guest House.
I have returned a few times now and was here for one month in 2010 and every time I leave I shed a few tears..this family go that extra mile to help you have appositive experience of India if you are open to it and they are very generous and kind too.
I could write so much more about this beautiful hidden gem but I will save it for my blog!,,

Room Tip: I always have had the big room on the roof...it is really nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Monu guest house can’t be beat for the price for a simple small budget homestay. With just five guest rooms, this simple home on a Varanasi alley offers the best location for the money. Location is just five minutes away from the most bustling Ghat with it’s nonstop action. Go the other direction and you end up at the Blue Lassie – the best Lassie’s in the world, and if you like Indian Sweets, one of the most famous sweet shops. (Ask Monu for directions.) It’s right around the corner from the Brown Bread restaurant where you can enjoy a lovely breakfast buffet on a roof top. The guest house is not located on the river but rather in a maze of action packed alleyways, filled with people, cows, dogs and motorcycles scooting by. So if you are up for a crazy ride, and are wanting to save money, Monus is the place to go. (But if you don’t want the adventure of small alleys, passing cows and crowds, then skip the homestays.) And as the other reviewers have mentioned, Monu is extremely diligent – he was a wonderful communicator prior to our trip and made sure that every need was taken care of while we were in Varanasi.

Traveler tip: We loved Shree Vegetarian Café – as you come up from the Ghat, after the steps, pass the chai vender on the right then take the alley that heads at a 30 degree angle and it will be on your right. All their Indian food was delicious and the kids also enjoyed their banana Nutella pancake.

Room Tip: If you don't see what you need on Agoda or other search engine, write to the guest house directl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingandkids
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in December 2012. Being in old town Varanasi, the property is difficult to find and the surrounding streets are heavily "littered" with cow poo but once we arrived the staff were friendly and welcoming. Our room was basic but did have an ensuite, although the bed clothes /sheets smelled musty and were unpleasant. There was a good WiFi signal for Skype. The owner / father had a tendency to be seen either shirtless or with a dirty white vest, which was not the first site we wanted to greet us each morning! We also passed laundry which was returned more dirty than it had been in the first place. If you stay here and need to post anything from Varanasi General Post Office, do not have it wrapped in cloth by the fabric / scarves shop next to Monu - they will try and rip you off for Rupees 800 for two small boxes when it only costs R160 at the GPO.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aldolara
bruxelles
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The staff is very very nice. We had a pleasant stay. The rooms are very colourful and original. It is a budget place so dont expect luxury. In this price range is no doubt the best place we have been to so far in our trip. Laundry service good and great recommendation for our next stop khajuraho.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank driazi
calgary
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Monu and his folks are super nice and accommodating! Our train was many hours late (classic) and his driver was right there waiting for us. His father would wake up early in the morning to turn on the hot water tank for us. We were three people and we stayed in the biggest room - it was nice there was a very roomy double bed plus another single bed. Nice walk down to the ghats from here. If you want to be right in the busy maze of Varanasi this is the place to stay!
If you want to stay in the more mellow part of town then Assi Ghats is for you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sarah h
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We arranged the station pick up from Mughal Sarai, as I heard how hard is find anything in Varanasi and no cars or tuktuk are allowed in those tiny street of course. Our train was late 5hours so we were worried but the driver was still waitng for us. Which was really nice and we were not expecting this. Monu himself is nice friendly young man. Did not push us into anything. His guest house is full of colours, clean and with wifi without extra charge. Laundry also available. Sometimes even monkeys jump on room windows:-) 5mins walk from ghats.
Would recommend this place to everybody!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JustLoveToTravel26
Bamberg, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2012

First, the location is really great and it gives you the best feeling of Varanasi and its spirit, You are within walking distance to all important locations and you are directly in the heart. Plus Monu and his family are really kind and funny. However, the downside is even with them you need to beware not to be a victim of extortion. One boat in the morning of one hour was costing Rs. 100/Person or Rs. 500 in total. You get a boat for your own for about Rs. 100 to Rs. 200 directly at the Ghats. Further beware of his neighbour who runs a little clothes shop. He is arranging the drop off at airport/station. We agreed on a price the evening before and pointed out we have been five people with some luggage but on the following day he still tried to charge full amount plus parking fee for a small car where luggage occupied the front seat and five need to sit in the back. We paid much less for a bigger car when arriving at Varanasi but the lad always claims he has no profit. That's the worst kind and though Monu gives the Impression not to support such activities he is a part of that.

Room Tip: top Level is quiet and cozy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family