“worst experience in Varanasi”
Review of Brown Bread Bakery

Brown Bread Bakery
Ranked #13 of 237 Restaurants in Varanasi
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Brown Bread Bakery and Organic Food P.Ltd is the very first organic bakery with restaurant in India with branches in Varanasi and Delhi. Since 2015 we started also a Vegan restaurant Varanasi. The company supports the projects of Learn for Life by using the profits for funding the school and to provide fair working conditions for all the staff. We use as many organic ingredients as possible for our products. All our bakery items are made from different kinds of organic grains which are always grinded freshly. The grains, the rice and the lentils are produced by certified small farmers which we visit and check regularly.
Budapest, Hungary
“worst experience in Varanasi”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I picked this restaurant because lonely planet highly recommended it and charity work blabla. I was really curious about it. It was difficult to find but then finally I went upstairs, I found it to be very dirty, garbage and emtpy plastic bottles were on the floor, under the table. I was stupid that I didn't leave immediately, but I wanted to go there so much that I decided to stay. There were a lot of tourists, so I thought, there must be something good here if they are staying there.I had to wait 20 minutes when finally a waiter noticed me and I could give my order. I ordered orange juice and chicken burger. They had like 4 different sizes of glasses for OJ but they wrote small, medium, large etc for it but the couldn't tell me how big they are, how many cls. Finally I ordered a medium one, it tasted really bad , maybe they added sugar, I dont know, it didnt have that sweet and tangy flavor, just plain sweet boring OJ. I was hoping the chicken burger would be better, It was with french fries and salad in the menu. After I was asking about it twice within an hour finally i got it. It was disgusting. there were 2 veggie patties in the bun with nothing else. there were 3 slices of tomatoes and 3 slices of cucumbers next to it and a small handful of overdone fries. So the veggies that should have been in the bun , were next to it called salad. mayo, ketchup, mustard or something like that, were nowhere. The small portion of brown fries was ridiculous. When I told the waiters that I ordered chicken burger and not a veggie one, they got aggressive and said it was a chicken burger, but it was a patty mixed with some potato. I told them it was all potato and some cooked veg in the patties but chicken was found nowhere. I asked them to point at the chicken in the patty but they werent able to do so. meanwhile I was waiting for the food, I heard other tourists complaining too that they didn't get what they ordered, but they were too polite or naive (they were from western european countries) so they accepted the stupid answers from the waiter. So finally I got into a big argument with the waiter and i told them I would leave but I wouldnt pay for the chicken burger that wasn't actually a chicken burger. They told me to go downstairs to pay and when we were just two, the guy started to be aggressive that I should pay, but I was really stubborn and only paid for the orange juice ( I shouldn't have doen that either, because it was yucky, too) Overall they gave bad quality of service and food at a high price. I left and I'm sure I would never go back.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank cirmicica
michavar, Owner at Brown Bread Bakery, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hi
we are sorry for the confusion. There is an illegal restaurant using our name which operates from our old location. We have nothing to do with that! Every customer should NOT trust any signboard in Varanasi!! Please compare the address and the pictures mentioned on tripadvisor!!
Also the new updated Lonely Planet (october 2013) especially issued a warning about that scam!
Micha

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
“Great restaurant and bakery. Cheese”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

First we got confused by the fake Brown Bread Bakery which is on the other side of the road. But after we had been to the Delhi branch we could not believe to be in the right location so we called the number we got and had to find out that we went to the wrong restaurant. Be carefull when you come up the road from Main Ghat, the fake one has so many sign boards outside that you can not see the real one which is just 10 m up the road! You should compare the pictures or just call them.
The rael one has a great view from the roof top and an AC room where every evening there are live concerts. The bread and cheese qulity we could not find anywhere else in India, only at the other branch in Delhi.

• Visited July 2013
“worth to go”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

we first had dinner there, enjoyed nice food on the rooftop restaurant and afterwards the free indian concert downstairs in the AC room. very enjoyable night. so, we go again for breakfast this morning. nice staffs and the manager. recommend to go when you are in Varanasi.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank cyancheung
Mill Valley, California
“A haven in Varanasi”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Clean food, a water refilling station, nice staff and also supports a non-profit to break the cycle of poverty for families in Varanasi. We enjoyed the roof-top restaurant because of the breezes but there is also an AC room with wifi. The kids liked the pizza and desserts. I also bought stuff at their first and second floor shops.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Treesawe
Antwerp, Belgium
“Expensive, but a LOT of food”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We went three times to the BBB in Varanasi. (it was low season and a lot of other adresses were closed) The first time we liked the German dishes, although you shouldn't go for the fries (but I'm Belgian, so high fries-standards ;) ). The bread basket with butter is very nice: delicious bread, really nice after a month of toast-stuff and without really good bread. The second time we had some pasta, that was nice too, especially the 4 formaggi pasta. The third time we had a cheese platter. The cheese is really good, although the platter is expensive for that little cheese. But in general, this restaurant is expensive... We didn't take the breakfast buffet because everything seemed dried out or not very good...

• Visited June 2013