“Be warned there are two on the same street”
Review of Brown Bread Bakery

Brown Bread Bakery
Ranked #12 of 261 Restaurants in Varanasi
Cuisines: German, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Brown Bread Bakery and Organic Food P.Ltd is the very first organic bakery with restaurant in India with branches in Varanasi and Delhi. Since 2015 we started also a Vegan restaurant Varanasi. The company supports the projects of Learn for Life by using the profits for funding the school and to provide fair working conditions for all the staff. We use as many organic ingredients as possible for our products. All our bakery items are made from different kinds of organic grains which are always grinded freshly. The grains, the rice and the lentils are produced by certified small farmers which we visit and check regularly.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We couldn't work out here what was going on. We went into the one which was (we were told) not the authentic one but trading off the same name. The "real" one has lots of breads in the window and cabinets with things for sale up the stairs.

We ate in the "wrong" bakery and something didn't feel right to us (and things made sense when we found the bakery with same name further down the street). The service was very poor and they served my girlfriend an uncooked baked potato with cheese. She sent it back to find it brought back 40 minutes later with burnt cheese and now cooked potato. We didn't tip the waiter but did leave a small tip in the donation box we hoped was going to the funding of a childrens school. The waiter didn't need to say anything, he looked at us with complete disdain as we left. I hardly ever don't leave a tip but we decided the service and her food had been so poor that it did not warrant one.

So watch out if you are visiting here and I'd like to find out more about the charity work especially if there are two competing businesses/charities?

3  Thank JamesB878

Reviewed April 5, 2013

So I went to two different Brown Bread Bakeries. They're right next to each other and they have the same sign. How irritating is that! The wrong one.. the fraud.. has two signs pointing to it's location. 5 meters away you see the same sign hanging up but it's pointing up in the opposite direction. Yes.. these two locations are directly across from each other give or take a few meters. And it's quite childish how these two can't seem to find an agreement. But you know right away that you're in the wrong one. If it doesn't feel like a westerner put the place together than you're in the wrong place. The wrong place is just one flight of stairs up to a poorly lit room and also has a dark and dingy entrance with seating that feels quite dirty. The place also has horrible service.

Now you know you're in the right one when you walk in and see a nice case of items for sale and handicrafts for sale in a nicely presented store, you walk up 4 flights of clean stairs all nicely decorated with well presented stores that feed the charity and items for sale in glass cases on the walls as you walk up and up. You really know that you're in the right place.

The menus are nearly identical at both places. Food quality is clearly 100 times better when you're at the right location. I know.. I went to both! I was highly disappointed with the wrong Brown Bread Bakery...and extremely pleased with the correct one.

Not pleased at all that one of these places can't be man enough to just change the name. The whole thing is so ego driven, I was tempted to not participate. But it's not uncommon to find a copy cat anything in India... and it just takes a little more effort to make sure you find the right one. If you find one.. you're just next to the other!

1  Thank FunkyMonkeyFamily
Reviewed April 5, 2013

When the time I was preferring non-Indian, spicy food, and looking for something for familiar, this is a good place to eat. I love breads, and tasted some of it and I could tell they were fresh. Good rooftop place also. It can be a bit expensive, but the food is a good reason for it.

One tip though, there's another german bakery nearby this restaurant, but no rooftop. Just look for the one signage with the window display of their various breads to know you're going in the right resto.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stopped by this bakery one morning after a yoga class which we had nearby so it was a bit tiring to climb so many floors to get to the roof top but the effort was worth it. I took mango lassi and my friend coffee lassi. Mango was excellent but coffee one was really tasting bad. Luckily they changed it without charging anything more. Food is all great there. We had banana pancakes but I saw people at other tables really enjoying their food too. At lower floors you can find several shops with clothes, books and other souvenirs for reasonable prices and a good thing is that they give some percentage of their sales to charity.

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

As has been said by many, Brown Bread Bakery has quality food and is a nice escape from Varanasi. It is a little bit more expensive, but worth it given the cause and quality. Most importantly, it has cheese! If you've been away from home for a while, you won't be disappointed.