“Okay rooms in good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ganga Fuji Home

and 1 more site!
Ganga Fuji Home
Ranked #17 of 213 Specialty Lodging in Varanasi
Bangkok, Thailand
“Okay rooms in good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Good location on a narrow local street near the ghats and the golden temple, but a bit difficult to find so check the map on their website www.gangafujihomevaranasi.com or ask the hotel for a free pickup from the station. Motorised traffic is not allowed in the area so the closest you can get is by cycle-rickshaw.

Our non-AC room with TV was small but nicely decorated and the bathroom with squat toilet was clean, hot water 24 hours available. Western toilets available in other rooms and as shared bathrooms.

Wi-Fi throughout the hotel for free, rooftop restaurant food okay for a breakfast, there's a daily free classical Indian concert with local instruments which we never saw, and the view from the roof 1 level up quite nice. The hotel caters to lots of Japanese tourists as the owner used to live in Japan and speaks Japanese and English fluently.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor rooms because of the noise of the seating area in front of reception.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cinbkk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed in a room in the ground floor in 2012.
First of all when we entered the room we noticed that the bedclothes where not fresh.
Due to the location of our room close to reception it was pretty noisy even long after midnight when the receptionist or the OWNER (VIP) was receiving visits and/or was watching TV at a high volume level regardless to the guests wanna sleep in their rooms.
Our room was smelly all the time because the cows outside in the narrow laneways where -- in front of our window.
Apart from that the OWNER is reliable and fair and room prices are reasonable.

In the end we wouldn't stay there again....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Booked 2 nights, stayed one - March 19 2012
For those interested in an abbreviated peace of advise, STAY AWAY! Dishonest, very unprofessional and incompetent management. If you take the most basic of rooms with no bathroom or AC you might be OK, just CHECK YOUR BILL and the mouse in your room.

If you're interested in a more comprehensive version of my issues, here is a novel.

On arrival we viewed the room, I can say it was clean. We confirmed that the room had AC and warm water by enquiry without actually turning either on. Reassurance was provided. We headed out for dinner and upon return we found the room to be co-inhabited by a mouse, NO Functional AC and NO warm water. The person at the front desk was informed and also reminded to please provide toilet paper and a second sheet per bed as requested 4hours earlier. The sheets arrived at 20h30, brought by one of the helpers, 20h40 the person in charge was asked again to address the issues. He came and checked the AC and warm water and left the room, stating he will call the manager. At 21h20 I enquired again on what to expect to happen next and was told someone will be there in 10 minutes. I indicated that it has been a long day and we will be going to bed since we'll be up at 5 the next morning, we will wait 10 more minutes after which we do not wish to be disturbed. 21 h45 we turned out the lights and opened the windows since the ceiling fan also stopped working. Power outages in India are not uncommon but this was clearly an issue in the building. The fan started working at 21 h 55 once again, we were practically asleep.
22h00 we woke up due to the TV which came on spontaneously. Shortly after there was a knock on the door. I decided to open the door and allowed a new person to check the AC which he now managed to turn on. I thanked him although I have to admit I was frustrated being wakened. An hour later the AC stopped working once more, at least the fan was!
After awakening the next morning we attempted the warm water tap once more, No Joy. Shortly after the water stopped flowing altogether. Furthermore I almost ended up on the bathroom floor due to a broken toilet seat.
We packed the bags and left it at the front desk, heading out for sunrise on the Ganges. upon return we found 4 people checking out before us. They were clearly unsatisfied , indicating mistakes on the bill and false information about boat ride tariffs and allegations of being overcharged.

Upon check out I received the bill, as for a room with AC and warm water. With above issues expressed once more, I offered to pay for a Non-AC room. Present for the discussion was the front desk attendant, the person I complained to the previous evening and the manager. After a heated discussion In which the manager told me " you are not my god" he offered 20% discount. I declined and after further shouting he offered 25%.
We decided further negotiation will be fruitless. As a professional in the medical field I am obviously sensitive to professionalism. I wonder in which universe a guesthouse manager should literally shout at clients when serious complaints are lodged. In the almost 50 countries we've visited ,including 17 guesthouses we stayed at in India, this was a first for us. We found multiple better options in our search for other accommodation, try Ganpati for example - just book ahead since we could not get a room there on short notice and ended up staying at Elena and Ajay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLvE

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Rajapalayam, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

This will be the worst place in my entire life that I had stayed.

First thing I hated much is the location of the hotel. It don't have any direct access to the road and from the taxi, I had to walk about 1 or 2 kms in a sicky narrow path where many cows, full of people, shops and a few motorcycles were going.

The reception is too small that we cannot pass with our luggages on hand. I was given a room in the 4th floor, but no lift. I hated hotels who don't mention that they don't have lift facilities. I had to carry 3 luggages (about 27 kgs total) in the narrow stair case.

Rooms are so dirty, windows, screens are very dusty. Beds were too worst with smelling blankets and pillows. Screens did not fully cover the windows. The towels are the worst towels I had seen so far. The white towels are in totally brown color (I think they are using them for 10 years or so) and stinking.

Toilets are bad and tapes are not working properly and all of them are with leaks. To my disappointment, the flush in the toilet was fully broken and I had to open the toilet tank cover to get it flushed.

I really hated to stay at this hotel, but as it was only for 1 night, I did not change it. I heard the same from my fellow guests as well. For this hotel, the price is very high.

I really regret for having chosen this hotel. Don't get fooled by seeing the photos. In photos, they seems to be OK, but not in real.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Volcanoking
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Myself and my boyfriend have been travelling around India for a month now and stayed here for three nights while in Varanasi.
I am of mixed opinions about this place, but leaning towards the negative.
-Arrange for collection! The place is impossible to find if you don't know the area. The streets are a maze and you although it is well signposted about halfway into this maze you will need help finding the place! Once we were here for a day or so, we understood what street was what and the guy behind reception gives you good directions to the closest ghat (Meer ghat) and its only about a three to five minute walk away.
-Once in the lobby, we were shouted at by the manager (the guy in the photo on their website under "contact us" ) when we were saying goodbye to our friend as he wanted to know why we were standing there talking. He is VERY loud, rude, obnoxious, pompus and hocks up his insides every 3 minutes (which you can hear from your bedroom- repulsive! I know from our travels that a lot of Indian men do this but it is repulsive being woken by this sound) and he is not at all helpful. However there is another man, slightly older, with bushy eyebrows whose English isn't great and is a little shy but he is very much obliging and was eager to help us with whatever we needed. The caretaker is also very obliging (skinny guy, wears a cap all the time) and although his smile isn't 100% genuine, he makes a good effort.
-The hotel arranges for boatmen to pick you up from the hotel at the crack of dawn and take you along the Ganges. This was superb. And for a very good price too. (think it was 100 or 150Rs per person).
- Our room was 440Rs per night and to be honest wasnt worth it. It was tinyyyyyy! I would say about 7x9 feet wide! Shared bathroom which to be fair was always spotless. Cold water shower though. First floor bedrooms share an eastern toilet. Middle and upper floors share a western. Definitely not worth the price.
-The restaurant wasn't great I am sorry to say. Although the waiter (think his name was Pramod) was very friendly and charming in a reserved way, the food was very low rate. There was always a sickening smell of gas coming from the kitchen. Try the Paneer tikka masala though- this is the only dish I was impressed by! One day the chef was out so the waiter cooked our lunch and it was nicer than what the chef made! :/
-The indoor restaurant is nothing special- you have to go outside and climb to the tippy top to get the most fabulous views over the rooftops and we stood there for quite some time taking it all in. You can eat up there but we couldn't eat there in the evenings as the mossies love me! Try and eat your paneer tikka masala up there at sunset, you will love it!
-The wifi is totally free. And fast. And reaches the first floor bedrooms but not the restaurant so I don't know about the upper floor bedrooms.
Overall I guess I wouldn't really recommend this place but if you have to stay here, there are ways to enjoy it. Just don't walk in the area at night, as with most areas in Varanasi as it is dark in the laneways and we didn't feel safe at all.
I know not to expect western standards anywhere in India unless you are paying big money but this place is depressing, smelly, overpriced and to be honest if it wasn't for the repulsive manager I would probably have rated it better. I loved Varanasi so much, pity about the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Intrepidortepid
Cesena, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,068 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

We arrived in the morning after 24 hours travelling from Nepal so we would have taken whichever hotel we might met on the way. That's why we got there. We were four, two couples and we had to take the most expensive rooms left, cos all the other were busy. we had an AC room which almost never worked cos the electricty were almost all the time off, so i m not concerning about that but the very few times we used the AC a cloud of dust covered us so we decided not to use it anymore. the blanket were dirty and even after changing them we didnt improve the situation. the staff looked very lazy and not helpful at all... luckily this has been the only one bad experience in india so far...after almost 2 months of travelling. the last thing: if you are a girl alone travelling there avoid it absoulutely cos it's located not far from the ghats but in a labyrinth without lights inside the bazar...i wouldnt recomend it all...

Room Tip: i can't sorry
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Mark B
Aspen, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

Very difficult to find, as are many lodges in the old city.
And, lots of steps. Not on river, limited view from uninviting rooftop "restaurant", barely. Reasonable back up lodging option but on the river is definitely where you want to be in this typical India town with overcrowding and garbage.

• Stayed October 2011