“Worstest place I had stayed”
Review of Ganga Fuji Home

and 1 more site!
Ganga Fuji Home
Ranked #18 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Varanasi
Rajapalayam, India
“Worstest place I had stayed”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This will be the worst place in my entire life that I had stayed.

First thing I hated much is the location of the hotel. It don't have any direct access to the road and from the taxi, I had to walk about 1 or 2 kms in a sicky narrow path where many cows, full of people, shops and a few motorcycles were going.

The reception is too small that we cannot pass with our luggages on hand. I was given a room in the 4th floor, but no lift. I hated hotels who don't mention that they don't have lift facilities. I had to carry 3 luggages (about 27 kgs total) in the narrow stair case.

Rooms are so dirty, windows, screens are very dusty. Beds were too worst with smelling blankets and pillows. Screens did not fully cover the windows. The towels are the worst towels I had seen so far. The white towels are in totally brown color (I think they are using them for 10 years or so) and stinking.

Toilets are bad and tapes are not working properly and all of them are with leaks. To my disappointment, the flush in the toilet was fully broken and I had to open the toilet tank cover to get it flushed.

I really hated to stay at this hotel, but as it was only for 1 night, I did not change it. I heard the same from my fellow guests as well. For this hotel, the price is very high.

I really regret for having chosen this hotel. Don't get fooled by seeing the photos. In photos, they seems to be OK, but not in real.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Volcanoking

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Myself and my boyfriend have been travelling around India for a month now and stayed here for three nights while in Varanasi.
I am of mixed opinions about this place, but leaning towards the negative.
-Arrange for collection! The place is impossible to find if you don't know the area. The streets are a maze and you although it is well signposted about halfway into this maze you will need help finding the place! Once we were here for a day or so, we understood what street was what and the guy behind reception gives you good directions to the closest ghat (Meer ghat) and its only about a three to five minute walk away.
-Once in the lobby, we were shouted at by the manager (the guy in the photo on their website under "contact us" ) when we were saying goodbye to our friend as he wanted to know why we were standing there talking. He is VERY loud, rude, obnoxious, pompus and hocks up his insides every 3 minutes (which you can hear from your bedroom- repulsive! I know from our travels that a lot of Indian men do this but it is repulsive being woken by this sound) and he is not at all helpful. However there is another man, slightly older, with bushy eyebrows whose English isn't great and is a little shy but he is very much obliging and was eager to help us with whatever we needed. The caretaker is also very obliging (skinny guy, wears a cap all the time) and although his smile isn't 100% genuine, he makes a good effort.
-The hotel arranges for boatmen to pick you up from the hotel at the crack of dawn and take you along the Ganges. This was superb. And for a very good price too. (think it was 100 or 150Rs per person).
- Our room was 440Rs per night and to be honest wasnt worth it. It was tinyyyyyy! I would say about 7x9 feet wide! Shared bathroom which to be fair was always spotless. Cold water shower though. First floor bedrooms share an eastern toilet. Middle and upper floors share a western. Definitely not worth the price.
-The restaurant wasn't great I am sorry to say. Although the waiter (think his name was Pramod) was very friendly and charming in a reserved way, the food was very low rate. There was always a sickening smell of gas coming from the kitchen. Try the Paneer tikka masala though- this is the only dish I was impressed by! One day the chef was out so the waiter cooked our lunch and it was nicer than what the chef made! :/
-The indoor restaurant is nothing special- you have to go outside and climb to the tippy top to get the most fabulous views over the rooftops and we stood there for quite some time taking it all in. You can eat up there but we couldn't eat there in the evenings as the mossies love me! Try and eat your paneer tikka masala up there at sunset, you will love it!
-The wifi is totally free. And fast. And reaches the first floor bedrooms but not the restaurant so I don't know about the upper floor bedrooms.
Overall I guess I wouldn't really recommend this place but if you have to stay here, there are ways to enjoy it. Just don't walk in the area at night, as with most areas in Varanasi as it is dark in the laneways and we didn't feel safe at all.
I know not to expect western standards anywhere in India unless you are paying big money but this place is depressing, smelly, overpriced and to be honest if it wasn't for the repulsive manager I would probably have rated it better. I loved Varanasi so much, pity about the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Intrepidortepid

Travelers are raving about these Varanasi hotels

Cesena, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,066 helpful votes
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We arrived in the morning after 24 hours travelling from Nepal so we would have taken whichever hotel we might met on the way. That's why we got there. We were four, two couples and we had to take the most expensive rooms left, cos all the other were busy. we had an AC room which almost never worked cos the electricty were almost all the time off, so i m not concerning about that but the very few times we used the AC a cloud of dust covered us so we decided not to use it anymore. the blanket were dirty and even after changing them we didnt improve the situation. the staff looked very lazy and not helpful at all... luckily this has been the only one bad experience in india so far...after almost 2 months of travelling. the last thing: if you are a girl alone travelling there avoid it absoulutely cos it's located not far from the ghats but in a labyrinth without lights inside the bazar...i wouldnt recomend it all...

Room Tip: i can't sorry
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Mark B
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Very difficult to find, as are many lodges in the old city.
And, lots of steps. Not on river, limited view from uninviting rooftop "restaurant", barely. Reasonable back up lodging option but on the river is definitely where you want to be in this typical India town with overcrowding and garbage.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank financecounselor
London
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as we had no hotel booked and we had no other choice.
They price the rooms according to a/c, bathrooms and how newly decorated they are? We had an a/c newly decorated room. It was small, dirty and much more per night than friends who were staying with a\c and a bathroom. They scammed us as they saw were were desperate and had not other choice. They had power cuts every 2 hors so the extra 200 rupees we paid per night for a/c was wasted as it never worked. I was told that part of town has the most power cuts. Their was piles of rubbish in the hallway attracting files bugs and who know what else. Dirty sheets, bathroom and the hotel food was awful, we ordered and when it arrived we didn't touch it, paid and left. The owners is rude and thinks he is some big fat cat businessman who speaks to everyone like crap cause he has a crap hotel in Varanasi. he has a sofa in the small cramped reception were he sits and shouts from, I was sat on the sofa and he told me to move out of his seat! After traveling through India for a few months this was def in the top 3 worst places I stayed and not worth the money!! Shop around and find better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LondonExchnage
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed March 30, 2011

While Varanasi was one of the highlights of our trip, the Ganga Fuji Home was a low point. On the plus side, this hotel has a nice rooftop with a view of the Ganges, where they serve some basic food. They also have wifi. However, the negatives here outweigh the positives.

You can stay in much better and cleaner places for the same amount of money. The shower was dirty, and the room was dodgy. The only shower with hot water was a shared one. Sheets were not clean. When we paid at checkout they increased the bill with 10%, explaining this was a "new tax". As we were ill because of food poisoning we did not challenge this, and I had the feeling they increased the bill exactly because they saw we were ill. I would like to return to Varanasi but would not sleep here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank joeribt
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed November 14, 2010

A good and cheap place to stay when in Varanasi. The rooms are clean-ish, the bed linen is clean but stained. The bathroom is rather small, and the shower is almost impossible to use. If you go for the shared bathroom instead of a attached one, the shared one is in better condition...

The place is quite hard to find if you come by foot. The hotel offers free pickup from the train station, which is good since the auto rickshaws can't go all the way.

The rooftop restaurant isn't that interesting. One minute walk away from the hotel there are much better alternatives.

It's a five minute walk to reach the nearest ghat. The golden temple is just around the corner, which explains all the armed guards in the alleys.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple