“A perfect restaurant to complement the hotel and the location!”
Review of Esphahan

Esphahan
Ranked #14 of 292 Restaurants in Agra
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Normally, I'm not much of a buffet man, I much prefer to order from the menu and have it brought to me while I enjoy the ambience of the restaurant.

As part of a business trip, I wasn't given his opportunity on this occasion, but I was fondly surprised! The buffet was fresh, hot and delicious! He dishes were not overloaded, and we're constantly being refreshed by the plentiful staff at hand.

The selection was amazing with traditional Indian fare complemented by a selection of Chinese and continental dishes. The kitchen and staff were also happy to accommodate any special requests and dietary requirements.

What made this experience more amazing was that this review was not clouded by my hunger (was not hungry at all) and if truth be told, I went in being picky because of the buffet dining!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Like the rest of the hotel and all Oberoi properties, service is friendly and fantastic. The décor is elegant, but with no view (being only open for dinner and located in the basement). The food is good, but nothing to write home about. There are much better Indian restaurants, maybe not in Agra, but all over the world. In other words, if one stays at the Amarvillas, one might as well go here (or to THE other restaurant, the Bellevue) for convenience reasons; but for non-hotel guests, why bother?

2  Thank Lam N
Reviewed December 20, 2013

… I came to find out is braised leg of spring lamb flavored with freshly ground spices. It is also one of the best things I’ve ever tasted.

After a busy day tramping through the Agra Fort, wandering around Itimad-ud-Daulah and gawking at the Taj Mahal from Mehtab Bagh, my wife and I were ready for dinner. I had made reservations at Esphahan, the Oberoi Amarvilas’ fine Indian restaurant. A “Food and Beverage Executive” sent me an email confirmation of our 7:00 PM reservation, there are only two seatings at Esphahan, so I was surprised at check in when I was told the first seating was at 6:30 PM. Looking at the Oberoi’s website now, I see the first seating is still shown as 7:00 PM. No matter…

After enjoying a drink at the Amarvilas Bar overlooking the Taj, we headed down to dinner. 6:45 and the place was nearly empty. We selected a table near the small stage where a gentleman was playing what looked and sounded like a hammer dulcimer.

We perused the menu and settled on the aforementioned tandoori raan, dal makhani and rice. Our waiter smiled and said “of all the dishes on the menu, that is the one I would recommend”. This patting my ego on the head is what I expect from a good waiter, but in this case, the man wasn’t foolin’.

Esphahan is a small restaurant with no more than a dozen or so tables. The décor is pleasing but not luxurious. The service is eager to please but a little rough around the edges.

If you’re staying at the Oberoi, go to Esphahan. Order the tandoori raan. Decide for yourself. I’m guessing you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was our last night in India after three weeks and we finished in this gorgeous hotel.
So it was only fitting to have dinner in this sensational restaurant.
After initially being told that they were full, we asked again at dinner time and they had spare tables.
The food and service was fantastic.
We let the staff choose our dishes and they did not disappoint at all.
The live music is a great touch and adds to the ambience of the restaurant.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is hotel is wonderful and so is the restaurant. Excellent service and food. Good environment and tasty dishes make this the place to be in Agra.