“Good Value”
Review of Shanti Lodge

Shanti Lodge
Ranked #96 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed here for one night because our train couldn't get into Rajasthan because of the Gujjar strike. It was better value, cheaper and cleaner than the Saniya Palace which is a stone's throw away and the view of the Taj Mahal from the roof-top is even better. the staff were very friendly and it's a pity we didn't stay here for our first two nights.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 28, 2011

Great value hotel, with views overlooking Taj Mahal. Our room was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. Cheap meals upstairs. I note some of the reviews of this hotel. Hard to believe.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lazza73
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Close to Taj Mahal, and you can reach by feet the night market. Good view from the roof. Cheap. Poor room with no window, the paint was peeling and I saw a mouse going from one room to another. Do not expect to be alone in the night!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Me and a friend of mine visited Agra one week ago.
Following a world famous travel guide advise, we go to this hotel for a room. Nevertheless the guide inform you that the path to the new hotel dormitories is not an example of a clean place....
We took a room (cheap) withou A/C, with a dirty bathroom (similar to others among the budget category) and with humidity atmosphere all around the room.
Nevertheles it was not too bad until we arrive to sleep at 11 p.m., very tired and really desiring have a rest. Then, an unexpected friend say us hello, A MOUSE RUN AROUND THE ROOM, and possible go away thorough a hole in under the sink. It was really disgusting.
We talk to the person incharge at that time (no the manager) who told us "dont worry, mouses dont hop on to the bed, just go to your room and have a rest". Of course we say "no" to that solution. After some more chat, he gave us solution nº 2, we come to the room with "Max". We were really surprise when he come to the room bringing a CAT, called MAX, the he said "Come Max! Look for the Mouse and catch it" (we had the two options, just laugh, or became more anoyed).
Of course, Max, was more occupied playing with a cleanex on the floor that looking for our fist friend, the MOUSE.
Again we start a discusiong asking for a new room and the answer was "sorry, we are full". We asked him just to call some hostel to look for a room for us (it was 00:00 a.m. at that time) and the answer was "sorry, the phone is only for incoming calls". We ask just for the money back and told us "sorry, the manager is not here, come tomorrow morning, he arrives at 8:00 a.m."........once and again he answer so gently to our request.
Finally we went to another hostel (just looking for a rest, not thinking about the mouse during the night). But we were really anoyed and returned next morning asking for the manager. We did it at 8:30, understaning Indian puntuallity...nevertheless the answer was "sorry, he has not arrived yet...". After having breakfast we return at 9:00 am, and the answer was the same.....of course few more we coudn't do after this....we just continue our visit around the city and promise him that more travellers will now about how dirty is that hotel and how nice and gentle is it management.....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ermillan
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I made a reservation at this hotel two weeks in advance. I requested the top floor room, with a/c. This request was confirmed via email.

My partner and I arrived in Agra at 1:30am after our train from Delhi was greatly delayed. In spite of having phoned the hotel to inform them that we would be late, we were forced to wake up the night worker, who informed us that the hotel was full - our room had been given away because we had been late. Given that the hotel had asked me to provide my train number, there was no reason for the hotel to assume that my lateness was a sign that I would not show up. Further, I had also provided my mobile number which the hotel could have called to inquire about my absence.

After a great deal of arguing, the night worker found a room for us. It was filthy - the bed was covered in sand and dirt, there was mud all over the bathroom floor and the toilet had been used and was full, though not flushing. Once we objected, he discovered another available room. This room was significantly cleaner, if not clean. However, it met none of our specifications.

I could not have been more disappointed in this hotel. I knew that it was a budget hotel and I know that generally with hotels, you get what you pay for. However, I was set to pay more for the room I had requested and had had confirmed. As it were, I was left with almost no room whatsoever. Given that trains are frequently delayed in India, lateness is no reason to give away a room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel_SMM
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Ok, maybe im coming at this from a different angle, and you may consider my input to be a shade contradictory, but its open to your interpretation! Me and my friend stayed at the shanti lodge whilst adventuring around india after seeing it in the lonley planet. I use the word "adventure" because thats what we were out there to have. Despite being the city that houses the taj mahal Agra is not the built up, prosperous area you may imagine, infact its quite the opposite.
Being as such, the shanti lodge is a fair reflection on the area. the first night we stayed we had; no hot water, a broken bed, a broken door, ump-teen power-cuts, extreme noise, two huge mokeys fighting on our window (and then trying to get in our room!) a toilet that wouldnt flush and the obligatory sticky sheets. The second night (yes we stayed another night!) we had all of the above, plus the generator blew up.
It was an experience we will never forget! the thing is we have spoke more about the shanti lodge, by some distance, then we have the taj mahal. For the price its worth staying a night just for the stories, and personaly, I dont feel the need to complain about standards whilst in a place like Agra. Treat it tounge in cheek, and remind yourself why you went there in the first place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank lucamotion
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Unfortunateluy there is not so much to say but that the rooms were beyond good and evil, the floor and linen dirty as seen seldomly before, the staff helpful but grumpy and the walls so molded that we thought about changing the hotel even as we already paid. The rooftop restaurant has a good view on the Taj Mahal but the dishes were dirty and the staff not really interested in taking your order.

Never the less, we found good in bad and there is a very basic but clean and tasty restaurant directly opposit with a breakfast which is a very good value if you want to visit the Taj Mahal in the early morning. The owner is very friendly and will also make you some sandwiches if you have a long ahead.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple