“Unbeatable views, average room”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Shanti Lodge

Shanti Lodge
Ranked #112 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable views, average room”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a couple of nights here in May 2013 and our room was o.k. After 4 months in India it was by no means the worst budget experience. The manager was helpful with the basics and of course the views from the rooftop restaurant are enough to keep one happy (although we chose not to eat there because it was a bit overpriced).

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bell1987

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We only stayed one night and the room was fine, nothing special really but realistically the price you pay here is for proximity to the Taj. Great view from the roof top restaurant and the food was ok. Not much more to comment on as we were there so briefly.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ed T
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The rooftop restaurant of this hotel has the most amazing views over the Taj Mahal. It's really worth staying here for that. It's also within short walking distance of the Taj Mahal.

As for the hotel it's self it was a good price and our room was very clean (as we arrived very early, we actually saw the cleaner hard at work cleaning it for us), our bed was comfortable and we had no problems. It's a very secure hotel too, and offers a laundry service.

I'm reading some of the other reviews and wondering how they survived India. This is a budget hotel in India, not a 5* £300 a night London hotel. We were delighted with this hotel and would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: In India hotelkeepers are only to pleased to show you the room before you decide to stay. If you don...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderer2012
Melbourne
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Don't stay here despite what your guidebook says. I haven't looked at the rough guide since staying here. Cheap rooms which offer basic backpacker accomodation. We didn't expect a room with no light. When we asked to move the manager took us to another room that still had mouldy crap in the toilet.
I asked for my money back and he took me to another room that was just passable.
DO NOT STAY HERE!! Try the Taj Plaza which looked good from the outside or Pyrenees guesthouse which has good service!!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank JaseNMel

Travelers are raving about these Agra hotels

zagreb
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The dirtiest hotel I saw in my life.
Literally, we found a big piece of crap on the floor of our room, and on the stairway.
The manager didn't care.
The brown toilet has NEVER been cleaned and you cannnot flush because it's broken.
The sheets are disgusting.
And, unbelievebly so, after coming to Delhi we realised that the waiter in the rooftop restaurant gave us a 500 rupee note that is fake!!!!!!
Shanti Lodge should be shut down, not recommended by the Lonely Planet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ivanap430
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I'm reading a lot of bad experiences and I do not deny them. In fact, while standing in the lobby, I heard someone walk in and ask the reception for new sheets because he found bedbugs in his bed. So going by that alone, you should probably avoid the place.

BUT. . . we had a room with a view of the taj. The wifi was good, but it shut down at 11:00pm. The room was not clean by any means, but not dirty enough to bother me. The TV didn't work. Again, didn't bother me. We definitely did not see bedbugs ourselves. So yes, it's a cheap room with a view of the Taj, but not really much else.

Room Tip: Ours was on the roof, pretty filthy and it faces the bar so it's noisy; but like I said, you can...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank canrocks
New York City
Reviewed March 26, 2013

While the rooftop view of the Taj is indeed great, and it's close to South and East gate, everything else about this hostel is horrible. Don't listen to the guidebooks that recommend this place -- I have no idea how they missed the crooked management who'll nickel and dime you for everything (including backtracking on what they'd previously promised), the room that was dingy and had stains, the restaurant staff that will hustle you out of there even though there's no one waiting for a table. Look, I'm a seasoned backpacker and I know what 400 rupees will get you, and this was abysmal. Stay far, far away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo